Who's Online
0 registered (), 39 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Stuart_F, mazeeam, DandL, arktraveler, laney
49392 Registered Users
Forum Stats
49,392 Members
128 Forums
1,410 Topics
6,802 Posts

Max Online: 402 @ 01/21/20 09:39 AM
(Views)Popular Topics
Questions and Comments for Coral Baja 20,022,170
Coral Baja Resort Review 1,149,752
Las Vegas Resort Review 850,372
Questions and Comments for Las Vegas on the Blvd 726,045
Questions and Comments for Kihei 687,624
Kihei Resort Review 612,272
Travel Tips and Directions for Coral Baja & Area 503,169
Questions and Comments for Seaside 438,512
Activities and Things To Do - Coral Baja 397,208
Kapaa Shores Resort Review 380,588
Top Posters (30 Days)
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#11534 - 04/13/04 09:19 PM Questions and Comments for Denarau Island
Forum Host
WorldMark Forum

Have questions regarding this resort? Want to give someone kudos for the great story they shared in their Vacation/Holiday Journal or for their awesome Photo/snaps album? Do it here. Title your reply "Questions - Fiji", "Kudos; Journal - Fiji", or "Kudos; Photo/Snaps album - Fiji". This will make it easy to search this thread to find the questions and answers or the respective kudos. Be sure to give us the username for your thank you.

#59017 - 02/07/20 05:36 AM Re: Questions and Comments for Denarau Island [Re: Forum Host]
SRMatus Offline

I am going to Denarau Island late May, early June. First-timer so I'd like to know what to expect. We will be staying for 7 nights/8 days. Should we rent a car? If not, what is the best way to get around? Can we use USDollars? Can we use a CC?

#58968 - 11/23/19 08:16 AM Re: Questions and Comments for Denarau Island [Re: WMOwner27]
BillinAnchorage Offline

There are better reviews on trip advisor here

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review..._Viti_Levu.html

I believe everything has been update within the last two years. Fantastic reviews for this place. I was at the Cairns Worldmark a couple years ago and all the Australians said the Fiji resort was awesome too. Me and the fam are going to Fiji in Jan. 2020 for over three weeks. I'll will post a review after that.

#58952 - 11/04/19 06:19 AM Re: Questions and Comments for Denarau Island [Re: Forum Host]
WMOwner27 Offline

Does anybody know when the last time the WM units were refurbished? Are the units and the resort quite dated, or are they up to the usual WM North American standards?

#58760 - 03/29/19 01:27 PM Re: Questions and Comments for Denarau Island [Re: 1kodiak]
Itsnat Offline

Loc: CA
How was the room? Did you have an ocean view or garden?

#58539 - 10/24/18 06:58 PM Re: Questions and Comments for Denarau Island [Re: geena]
Marmon Offline

Remember you lose a day going. For instance if you fly out on a Sunday night from LAX, you arrive in Fiji Tuesday morning.

#58529 - 10/16/18 10:12 AM Re: Questions and Comments for Denarau Island [Re: Forum Host]
1kodiak Offline

Loc: puyallup wash.
Here are a few things about Fiji that we found on our stay last! The Fiji people are very friendly the Indies aren't so much! Beer and booze are very expensive! Most all tours are out of the marina most all the tours are to do with water of course! Bala bus is $400 a day all day! Fresh foods is a store on Denarau island it is about 3 blocks off of the main road hard to find, but CLEAN and go prices! The town of Nandi didn't show us much! the two stores there are dirty! You do need adaptors for the electrical in the rooms. the front desk said the only had one so we could not have it others didn't know what I was talking about! Ground coffee is very had to find we found some at the marina. Tours you are taking your life in your hands they drive very badly. out front the bell men the one to us is JON very nice but don't hire his cousin for a tour (BAD)!I know this is all over the place but some of this might help. I would say from the states go Mexico much shorter flights andway cheaper flights ( coral baja )

#58526 - 10/12/18 06:04 AM Re: Questions and Comments for Denarau Island [Re: 1kodiak]
kstrozek Offline

Loc: British Columbia, Canada
You need to have an adapter to convert the power over. The internet cost isn't that bad so long as you are purchasing the entire week. It seemed fairly expensive if you're purchasing it by the day. I can't remember because it's been a couple of years but I want to say it was about 8 a day. Ooops... sorry just realized this answer is WAY too late to assist you. LOL

Edited by kstrozek (10/12/18 06:13 AM)

#58478 - 08/27/18 07:55 AM Re: Questions and Comments for Denarau Island [Re: Forum Host]
1kodiak Offline

WE leave in 11 days! Question 1 is dose the condos have standard US power in them ( no power adapters needed )#2 what is the cost of the internet?

#58397 - 07/03/18 10:40 AM Re: Questions and Comments for Denarau Island [Re: geena]
bthorman Offline

Loc: San Francisco Area
That depends on where you're coming from. I'd check flights first then book the unit. From where I am the planes come in early in the morning so I'd book a day before so we can check into the room in the morning.

#58396 - 07/03/18 10:10 AM Re: Questions and Comments for Denarau Island [Re: Forum Host]
geena Offline

Loc: California
I just booked for a one week. Question I have may be silly but I was told that Fiji only has planes coming in and out on certain days. What day should I book if they come in and out on certain days?

"Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow."

#58240 - 03/30/18 01:22 PM Re: Questions and Comments for Denarau Island [Re: 1kodiak]
Marmon Offline

The reservation had a helpful link that had a transportation company called Rosie Holidays. Unfortunately I’m not able to get the link to work anymore. If you search online Worldmark South Pacific it takes you to a Worldmark by Wyndham website with helpful information. You can also search Trip Advisor for options. That’s what I plan to do for our trip in October.

#58230 - 03/24/18 12:52 PM Re: Questions and Comments for Denarau Island [Re: Forum Host]
1kodiak Offline

Looking for some help please! There will be 8 of us going to the resort in sept. We will need a ride from the airport! then to go shopping to stock the rooms will the bula bus be the way to do it or some thing else? THANKS!

#58172 - 02/28/18 05:38 PM Re: Questions and Comments for Denarau Island [Re: kstrozek]
Marmon Offline

Hi,

We're planning a trip to Fiji. I've noticed it says the resort does not accept credit card with signatures. If paying cash, what currency does the resort accept? Also, do other places in the area accept credit cards? One more question, it says Justifications under Helpful Hints on the Worldmark Website. Do you know what that means?

Thank you!

#57864 - 08/03/17 06:34 AM Re: Questions and Comments for Denarau Island [Re: 1kodiak]
kstrozek Offline

Loc: British Columbia, Canada
Hi, we were there in November 2016 for two weeks. It is the most beautiful destination that we've been to so far since we've owned and I didn't think we'd find a new favorite spot but we did.

The rooms were clean, the staff is amazing and so helpful for anything you might possibly need, the grounds were immaculate, pools gorgeous and honestly I thought everything was great. There is quite a bit of entertainment that they've got going on for everyone. Every morning there is aquafit in the pool and they have a bunch of things going on for kids off to the side.

Groceries are easily obtained by catching the yellow bus into town and it stops right by where you need to be shopping and then if you purchase too much then a taxi can bring you back or just hop back on the bus back to the resort. Super easy and all the locals are so friendly.

I highly recommend going to the resort. Just as a note because of how flights are from LAX we booked a day before we were to arrive (because you get in at like 6am) and the day we were leaving (because your flight doesn't leave until 10pm) so that way you can check into your room right away when you're exhausted from your flight and you can have the comfort of your room for the long wait until the shuttle picks you up to take you back to the airport.

If you have any more specific questions let me know and I can try and give you more information. smile

#57855 - 07/30/17 05:29 PM Re: Questions and Comments for Denarau Island [Re: Forum Host]
1kodiak Offline

WE are looking to go to Fiji someone has had to been there let the rest of us know what to expect!

#55725 - 03/19/15 05:09 PM Re: Questions and Comments for Denarau Island [Re: Forum Host]
bandita Offline

I'm thinking of visiting Apr next year. How is the diving near this resort? I saw some reviews on snorkeling and found that the water at the beach at this island is horrible, but I don't see any comments on diving. I'm wondering if the boat dives will be good (not the expensive ones that go all the way to another island, but one near this resort). Thanks.

#55049 - 08/08/14 11:51 AM Re: Questions and Comments for Denarau Island [Re: ]
Enjoy Life 04 Offline

We had taken our trip to Fiji in April 2014. We had booked WorldMark for different dates while we traveled in Fiji on different Islands. During our stay we stayed at WorldMark 3 different times and 3 different rooms. Our stay on the first 2 nights were horrible given we were on the first floor of the old building of WorldMark and the room had a really strong smell and it make breathing in that musty smell quite impossible for my wife. Our stay again on 1st floor for another 1 night was not the best given we were on the first floor again with a broken washing machine and strong musty smelling room.

We finally complained and asked for our 7 day stay to have a better room where all amenities is working and a better room. They gave us a better room on the 3rd with a great pool view but I think the quality of these units are awful and also the beaches around the WorldMark are not in best shape. Just looking at the beach and how bad the boulders have made the beach look is awful. What I know from some guests and people around the area that flooding during hurricanes have cause the rooms on the 1st floor to have a musty smell which I think is a health hazard and something should be done to fix it. We had to leave the door open so we can sleep through that musty smell. I won't recommend anyone staying at WorldMark (old units) especially with kids and families who have Asthma or any respiratory problems. There is a new construction of WorldMark Units next to old units but we didn't know about it and didn't get to book those. If we had to go back again we would try to book newer units or stay in a different resort in Fiji since it is not worth traveling from USA to Fiji and walking into an environment that causes you stress.

Upon checking into a room since we got there early we had to stay in a room where all families and others guests joined as you are awaiting for your room. It can be annoying and noisy if you are trying rest after coming from a long 10 hr flight. Lots of travelers from Australia.

The best thing about our trip to Fiji was to move out of Denarau Island and go to beaches around the Island and if you plan to fly to smaller Islands (Taveuni) even better (great food, quiet time, and relaxing environment in Resorts). We loved Port Denarau (restaurants and shops) and happy to see that they had Parasailing, scuba diving activities and more. We had the best time away from the Denarau Island.

#55023 - 08/02/14 10:20 PM Re: Questions and Comments for Denarau Island [Re: ]
Michael_1 Offline

I spent eight days in July 2014 in Deneray resort in Fiji with my wife. We liked it, however, I don't think that we would come back. Fiji was different from our expectation.
The good side (which was already mentioned here many times):
Good, well maintained resort, nice and clean territory, big rooms, good weather, not very far from the airport, extremely friendly staff (may be the friendliest in Worldmark), and all people on the island speak English.
The bad side (which you should be ready to deal with):
The beaches around the main island are almost unusable. The rivers drop into the ocean too much mud and sand, therefore the water near the shore is very brown and not transparent. The waves lift up silt and when you step in the water you cannot see your legs. As a result you only option is to swim in the resort swimming pool. The swimming pool is big and nice, but not worth travelling to Fiji to and crossing the ocean. The only option to swim in the ocean is to buy an expensive trip to some small islands around the main island. The closest one is a "South Sea Island" trip, which takes about one and a half hour from the lobby to the beach (bus plus ferry time). The island look nice, the water is transparent, but it has corral beach which is good for snorkeling but very bad for swimming. It is very painful to walk into the water stepping on dead corrals. Even for snorkeling it is difficult to get in and out of the water. I suspect many other small corrals islands have the same problem. So plan to spend a week on the shore and swim in the ocean only a couple of times. This is what my wife did.
There is not much to do in the resort. The visit to Nady town, Orchard garden, Marina can keep you busy for two days. All other activities are very expensive. Food and restaurants are expensive inside and around the resort. Prices are California plus. (For example, the buffet in Sheraton, beside Worldmark, is $50 US)
Most visitors in resort are from nearby Australia. Many of them come with children. If this is a problem to somebody, it should be considered.
About the resort:
The plane from US arrives at 6am and leaves for LA at 10pm. Check in at the hotel is at 4pm and check out is at 11.59am. When people realize this situation and attempt to order an additional day, it is usually too late. The staff will provide a waiting room, but it is still very inconvenient. Two days are out from your long awaited vacation.
Our room had two old not-flat TV’s with only 10 programs available with poor signal quality. So don't plan to spend your evenings watching TV unless you bring your own movies. There is also no internet in the rooms. There is internet in the lobby but you have to pay for it.
The lamps in the room are weak, so you can barely read in the evenings. Even the bed lamps don’t provide enough light.
Twice, we had to kill cockroaches in the room. If we brought some of these guys into the US, I hope they cannot reside on American soil without their visa. I think in the tropics it is impossible to get rid of them, but some wives may overreact to them.
Despite all these cons we liked our vacation. I got my diving certificate and saw good coral reefs. I highly recommend the "White Tip" diving company located in the Marina. The instructors are great.

#54950 - 07/17/14 06:10 AM Re: Questions and Comments for Denarau Island [Re: ]
Ndiolle Offline

Loc: Sacramento, CA
I just returned from a fantastic 14-day vacation in Fiji. We (4 other girlfriends) stayed from May 9th through May 22nd. We stayed in a 2-bedroom oceanfront view unit in building 4000 which had a great view of the pool area and ocean. The resort was absolutely beautiful and the grounds well maintained. When we arrived that morning at approximately 0630, we were greeted with fresh towels, pineapple and a smile. The staff was very friendly and helpful. They quickly responded to any needs with a smile on their face, request for extra hangars, etc. Special thanks to Bennie who not only unloaded our luggage but also carried our luggage (luggage for 5 women!!) to our second floor unit. Bennie would not let us carry anything up the stairs. Whenever we came back with bags of groceries Bennie was always there to help us.

Also a special thanks to Salen Rattan, Assistant Resort Manager, who made our last 6 days there just as memorable as our first 8 days. Also to Tui who made us feel so welcome at the Monday night meet & greet.

One of the vendors on site, Nemani, made a beautiful, exquisite, hand-carved walking stick for one my friends as a surprise gift for her husband. He finished the walking stick in two days. The intricate details were just amazing.

We hired a driver, Akosita (Ako) Ravouviu, the first and only female Fijian taxi driver for Denarau Island who was absolutely superb. Ako was very informative regarding the history of Fiji and very helpful in addition to driving us around.. We rode in a very nice 2008 Toyota Noah (mini van). It was very comfortable and roomy for the 5 of us. Ako’s cell number is +679 918 7668. Ako is well known and highly recommended throughout the resorts on Denarau Island.

For quick trips into town for shopping we took the “yellow bus” for FJD1.15 one way. You can also take Bula Bus a FJD8.00 daily pass or FJD24 weekly pass..

One of the tours we took was the combo tour to the Robinson Crusoe Island. You can spend the day snorkeling, exploring the island, or simply relaxing on the beach. Various activities are also scheduled and there is a water park for kayaking, jet skiing, etc. We were served a buffet lunch and a buffet dinner. The nighttime Fire Dance Show was spectacular!!!!

We also went to visit several villages which were quite interesting and informative. We had great fun at the Sabeto Hot Springs Mud Pools. We took a day trip to Suva, the capital where we visited the Fiji Museum.
Will definitely be returning.

#54874 - 06/30/14 07:32 PM Re: Questions and Comments for Denarau Island [Re: T Armenta]
TheWoodys Offline

Loc: Sydney Australia
Hi T Armenta
In response to your post Fiji is currently run by military government. This will change soon as they having a general election (I think in Sept 2014) when the country could be under civilian rule again. We have been to Fiji before and everything is peaceful and the people are very friendly. We are from Sydney Australia and Fiji is very popular with Australians. We are going to Denarau late August 2014 and are so looking forward to our next visit. The note you received was just a general advice to make you aware of the political situation. Suggest you rebook !
smile

#54870 - 06/30/14 05:27 PM Re: Questions and Comments for Denarau Island [Re: ]
T Armenta Offline

We had booked a room for 2015 , but received an email regarding gov't uprising and check with them before you go. What is going on there ?
So I cancelled without asking any questions. Is this something they send everytime before you go there and am I worried for no reason ?
Any input for further reservations would be appreciated from Owners.

#54643 - 05/13/14 10:11 PM Re: Questions and Comments for Denarau Island [Re: LizUtter]
zonux Offline

I called WorldMark Denerau about staying in one of the new units and was told that the new units are reserved for WorldMark South Pacific Club members. That was quite disappointing to hear that. I know we don't go to Fiji for the hotel unit but would have been nice to experience what the new units have to offer. Any North American WorldMark club members being able to stay in any of the new units?

#54642 - 05/13/14 10:01 PM Re: Questions and Comments for Denarau Island [Re: ]
zonux Offline

Hi Everyone,

Travelling to Fiji this August 2014 with my teenage boys and a couple of their basketball high school team teammates. Just trying to figure out what types of fun activities are available in Nadi and the surrounding areas for teenage boys to enjoy. We will be there for a couple of weeks. Thank you

#54244 - 02/18/14 01:09 PM Re: Questions and Comments for Denarau Island [Re: bikertrash2007]
Ndiolle Offline

Hi there, I would suggest you to go www.tripadvisor.com. In search, type in Worldmark Denarau. You will find pictures and great reviews from other worldmark owners. I sent a note to the last traveler there (reviewed 02/01/14) asking for recommendations for my upcoming trip in May and they responded promptly with great recommendations. You will also find a link for various things to do. Hope this is helpful to you. smile

#54232 - 02/15/14 07:42 PM Re: Questions and Comments for Denarau Island [Re: ]
bikertrash2007 Offline

I will be going to Fiji this summer 2014. I have read many stories and would like an update on shopping and tours. Most of these threads are very old...
Any info would greatly help; this is our first trip..
Thank you smile

#50956 - 10/17/13 09:37 PM Re: Questions and Comments for Denarau Island [Re: ]
bensminger Offline

Just wondering when the new units will be available for booking on line. We hope to be there just after the New Year.

#50811 - 09/11/13 12:36 PM Re: Questions and Comments for Denarau Island [Re: LizUtter]
Ndiolle Offline

Hi,

Thanks for the review of your trip. I can't wait for my upcoming trip to get here.

#50776 - 09/05/13 02:39 PM Re: Questions and Comments for Denarau Island [Re: ]
LizUtter Offline

Loc: CA, USA
We just got back from a WONDERFUL week in Fiji. This was our 4th trip and plan to go back in a couple years.

The construction is almost finished. The new part is supposed to open in Oct. Our unit was RIGHT NEXT to one of the new units, there were workers there every day, but it was not a bother. Not too noisy. but then, we were not in our unit that much during the day. Can't wait to stay in one of the new units.

There were 7 in our group, so we rented a 8/9 passenger van for 2 days and hired our favorite cab driver for the 2 days. Eip Vu (mobile number 99605735). He took us to the Valley of the Sleeping Giant (orchid garden and rain forest) and mud baths and one of Epi's favorite lunch spots. The car rental was about $250 US for 2 days. Plus Gas. YOU MUST hire someone you trust to drive you as you are responsible. We've known Epi since our first trip to Fiji in 2000. The 2nd day he took us shopping in town to a store he trusts... there are LOTS of folks who will try to get you into their stores... some are good, some not so good. Then we went to a waterfall. We had to hike part of the way because the road was washed out. But we wanted to hike. Great views. Then to Sigatoga (Salad bowl in Fiji) and a village. The village visits are somewhat commercial. They did a welcome, Kava ceramony, short tour of the village, we dances, this village makes pottery so they did a demonstration of how the do it, no pottery wheels nor large kilns there. Of course, they had pottery for sale. VERY good prices if you want what they have to sell. The also 'passed the hat' for donations for the kids education.

The first day, we took the local bus into town to do some shopping. you MUST go to the produce market. It is at the end of the bus line. Produce is sold by the heap. A heap of pineapples (3 in our case) was $5 FIJI, a heap of papayas (4) was $4 Fiji a HUGE bunch of bananas was $3 Fiji. The bananas look like they are way past what you would eat, but they were delicious. The Hot Bread Store is across the street. WONDERFUL breads. Be sure to put the bread in the refrigerator, it does not have any preservatives and gets moldy in a couple days (unlike the bread we get in the US).

The bike ride around Denarau was fun and made it so we understood that we could walk it if we wanted to.

I think the Bula BUS is a bit expensive if there is more than one person and/or you are going to use it a lot. A cab is $5 Fiji to anywhere on the island. The Bula Bus is $8 per day (4 days is $24) So, one round by cab is $10 Fiji for as many people as you have. We walked to several of the local resorts pushing my husband in a wheel chair.

The Whales Tale is a FUN trip. I don't recommend if for kids, as they might get bored. The crew is VERY attentive. PLENTY of food and beverages all day.

Something new on Denarau is a cooking school. It opened 4 months ago and was great fun. We cooked 7 items, 3 Fijian and 4 Indian. And we ate them at a table overlooking the river. You can book it through Rosie's or just call them. Flavours of Fiji 6750-840. It is a 3 hour class you are standing the WHOLE time, and cooking the WHOLE time, the instructors were EXCELLENT.... as was the food. They give you the recipes when the class is finished, so you make the again. They also have a cookbook to sell, it is $20 Fiji and the recipes look very good. You can also buy the book at the shops in town. Now know how to Crack and grate a coconut AND how to make coconut milk.

I was a bit concerned that the restaurant on site is Mexican. I live in California, and don't plan to go to Fiji for my Mexican food. One night (I don't remember which) they had an international buffet, I had breakfast a couple of times which was NOT a Mexican Breakfast. I would not plan on eating at the resort everyday... for 2 reasons. 1: you MUST see more of Fiji than our resort. 2: The food is fine but not THAT great.

There is an ATM at the air port, it had a slightly better exchange rate than the one at the resort. But is wasn't much. Before you go, make sure your credit card does NOT charge a fee for foreign exchanges. I used Capitol One, NO fees, My local bank Debit Card did charge. IT wasn't that much, but the charges can add up.

Liz

#50204 - 05/28/13 09:39 PM Re: Questions and Comments for Denarau Island [Re: ]
small town girl Offline

We will be visiting Fiji for the first time in June. Any suggestions for activities, beaches, restaurants, etc. are much appreciated. I am still a little confused on power adapters--some have said not to use computers or they can get fried from power being to strong(we are from U.S.). Has anyone taken the cruise to south sea island offered by Worldmark? Can you use your phones there with a different sim card--if so, where do you purchase the sim card to use? Can't wait to spend some time in Fiji!!!

#50050 - 04/23/13 02:43 AM Re: Questions and Comments for Denarau Island [Re: dolphoto]
nutmeg2000 Offline

Wow, your experience was much worse than mine. We were there Nov 15-18, 2012, and the construction was all off to the left, not blocking or interfering with the lobby or the parking lot area directly in front of the lobby (though certainly 40 feet to the left was a crane and fence, etc). We arrived very early in the morning (6am) and our rooms were not ready until 3pm so we planned to store our bags and hang out in town, but they kindly provided a hospitality suite (empty 2-bedroom suite near the back) where we could rest and freshen up. Everyone was very helpful and friendly, though we didn't have any need for maintenance to come fix anything, so I can't comment on that. Also, we were there before the storms so the grounds were clean and dry.

All in all, it was pleasant. We hired one of the taxi/van drivers (Teo?) for a day to take us to the Orchid farm, Viseisei (the first Fiji village, which was interesting--didn't know they were cannibals originally, AND they had the best price on souvenirs...really nice handmade bracelets and necklaces that were 1/3 the price of the resorts. I think we paid $5 for bracelets and maybe $10-$15 for necklaces), and into the main town Lautoka for a little shopping. Definitely try the fruit on sticks in the market area! Teo was great, highly recommend him if you see him outside. Also, the little store on site had surprisingly decent prices.

I might go back, though Cabo is just as nice of a beach resort and much closer (though the locals are sooo nice in Fiji: strangers greeting you on the street with a friendly "Bula!") Someone is building a casino next door to Worldmark, which also might be interesting to see. Perhaps some day when I go to new Zealand I will stop by Fiji for a few days again.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© 2005 - Wyndham Resort Development Corporation. All rights reserved.
WorldMark™ is a federally registered service mark of Wyndham Resort Development Corporation.