Who's Online
0 registered (), 39 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Stuart_F, mazeeam, DandL, arktraveler, laney
49392 Registered Users
Forum Stats
49,392 Members
128 Forums
1,410 Topics
6,802 Posts

Max Online: 402 @ 01/21/20 09:39 AM
(Views)Popular Topics
Questions and Comments for Coral Baja 20,022,170
Coral Baja Resort Review 1,149,752
Las Vegas Resort Review 850,372
Questions and Comments for Las Vegas on the Blvd 726,045
Questions and Comments for Kihei 687,624
Kihei Resort Review 612,272
Travel Tips and Directions for Coral Baja & Area 503,169
Questions and Comments for Seaside 438,512
Activities and Things To Do - Coral Baja 397,208
Kapaa Shores Resort Review 380,588
Top Posters (30 Days)
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Topic Options
#58794 - 05/05/19 02:54 PM Lovely Isla Mujeras
SteveCandy Offline

April 2019, WM-Isla Mujeras, we stayed 9 days at this lovely, quaint property, which is shared with the Marina next door. We had a 1 bedroom king, a softer-than-ever-couch/bed, a table and 2 chairs, 2 ceiling fans, A/C, jacuzzi, small refrigerator and small microwave. We received a toaster, too.

We had a very large patio with terrazzo tile, ceiling fan, 2 Adirondack chairs, an end table, and a large hammock (we never used). There was a nice sized closed with lots of hangers, and a 4-drawer dresser. The toilet is separated from the tub/dressing area. We asked for 2 more trash cans, a few more towels, 2 plates, silverware, glasses, more coffee, some salt and pepper.

We fell in love with the worker Rudolpho, and the Manager, Marta!

We quietly walked along the lighted boardwalk by the water, and looked at the yachts docked there.

SECURITY: Inside our room was a Safe. There was sliding glass doors with louvers, and separate screen doors. You are issued two keys, one to the safe, and one to the screen doors.

FOOD/DRINKS: The bar at the HUGE pool also served as a restaurant. The food was prepared at the Marina and brought to the tables near the pool. You can set up an account at the WM front desk to charge things from the bar/restaurant. The Coconut Prawns were awesome. The hamburgers were NOT good.

POOL: The pool is huge, gorgeous, and immaculately maintained. The Pool has a fountain that comes on intermittently, in the middle of a raised portion of the pool, so you can be under only 2-inches of water, 2-feet of water, or 4.5-feet of water. There is a sweet baby pool separate from the main pool, but very close. The concrete around the pool gets VERY hot, so we would wear our flip-flops over to the edge, or ladder to get in. There are a lot of chaise lounges, chairs and tables with umbrellas everywhere. The Marina maintains the pool, and plays music – but we didn’t like the choice of music, or the LOUDNESS! We complained, and got GREAT results!

GOLF CARTS: Golf Carts are $60/day USD, (no weekly rate) and ordered at the WM front desk. This was nice to explore the small island, but if you go grocery shopping, or to one of the beaches, it is a waste of money. You can definitely catch a taxi almost anywhere/anytime, and it is very affordable.

We explored the SOUTH end of the Island (Punta Sur) – then downtown in the Golf Cart. Punta Sur is very commercial and you pay $3 US per person to walk the paths to the extreme end of the island. It’s GORGEOUS!! The Caribbean meets the Bay de Mujeras. There are steps that lead you down many paths if you like to explore further, and some caves in there too. There were lots of pictures taken here. There were lots of rusty pieces of large ironworks of art all along the way. THEN we bought some well-deserved ICE CREAM!!

Then we took the West side (Caribbean side) of the island to the downtown area. We finally figured out where the OLD Catholic Cathedral was located, parked and went inside to take some pictures. There were fresh lilies from Easter Sunday Mass yesterday.
Then we walked around the downtown street nearby (towards the Ferry Dock) and shopped a little. We haggled a little bit on a pair of “Oakley” Sunglasses.

TAXIs: Definitely memorize the TAXI NUMBER before you get in!! (Every time)

MAN! Taxis drive FAST!!! Go over speed bumps like crazy men! Pass on any side they want to. Motorcycles and mopeds are CRAZY too.

When you get off the Puerto Juarez Ferry, go out to the sidewalk and take a LEFT about a half-block. You will see the TAXI stand. You just wait in a very quick-moving line to catch a cab. It was very cheap – just keep a lot of SMALL PESOs with you at all times. It was 50-60 Pesos plus tip to go from the Ferry to WM (We’d give the driver 80-100 pesos = $5 USD)

We definitely could have saved money a couple of days, by taking a very accessible taxi to the nearby HUGE Grocery store, grocery shop, then catch another cab back to WM. Same thing for eating out – taxis – plus, they know where they’re going!

GROCERY STORE: You can walk to this grocery store, but it’s really hot and the street is very busy with traffic. It’s best to grab a taxi. The store has a covered parking lot, and an escalator for you to go up to the second floor. . . bring your grocery cart UP with you.

You can use your Debit Card to get PESOS from an ATM.

GET LOTS of WATER BOTTLES! We found everything we needed, except fresh baked goods were difficult to figure out. They didn’t have bagels. You grab a round pizza-type pan and walk around and select your fresh baked breads and sweets, then go to the bakery check-out, where you don’t PAY.

We had to purchase one steak knife to cut open tomatoes, breads and grapefruit. We always buy regular sliced bread, extra cartons of Mango Juice and Cran/Pomegranate Juice (just watch for the photo on the cartons). We got some nice tostitos and a jar of salsa for snacks.

BEACHES: We took the Golf Cart grocery shopping, emptied things at the condo, then headed to the Playa del Norte. THE BEST BEACH!! FREE!! We had to pay 100 pesos ($5 US) to park, then walked to the Beach and had the best Fish Tacos that came with pico de gallo and avocado (190 pesos for 3 huge ones = $10 US)!! We drank our own water. It is an extra 300 pesos (or $32 US for 2) to purchase a chair, and about that for an umbrella, too. They also rent a large bed-type cushion. BUT we just spread out our towels and ran out into the gorgeous water.

The water was sparkling and a wee-bit rough, but clear and beautiful. Children having fun everywhere. White sand and shallow Caribbean surf. The depth was from zero to about 4-feet. We only stayed in the water about 1-hour.

Garafon de Castilla: 90 pesos each, plus 50 pesos for each to rent a mask/snorkel. You MUST have Water Shoes!! There is only a GRAVEL Beach! The Chairs and/or umbrellas fill up FAST. There was a very nice covered patio with lots of chaise lounges and tables, where I just relaxed. The restaurant is excellent and very generous with their servings. I ordered guacamole and chips – and it was more than the 2 of us could eat. We stayed only 2 hours.

SNORKLING: (2 people 4 hours, 800 pesos=$40 US down + $1000 pesos tomorrow) (NOTE: Memorize the last 4 digits of YOUR BOAT) We were very disappointed in the Snorkeling trip! First of all, it was a small wooden boat that held only 12 people, plus the 2-man crew. We HAD to bring our own drinks, and they provided a small cooler with ˝ bag of ice. We waited an extra HOUR until they rounded up 2 more people, because they wouldn’t set sail without a full boat. Thank goodness they had life jackets and snorkels!! They only spoke Spanish.

At first, they weren’t going to stop by the lighthouse/ship wreck, because we were an hour late. One elderly passenger got real mad, gave them some very strong words, and we ended up STOPPING there to snorkel. The water was VERY cool, and one of the workers had to hand me a life-ring that he ended up PULLING me all around, because I wasn’t strong enough to swim against the current. There were almost NO fish. It almost killed me to get BACK into that boat.

We then slowed down at the Dolphin Discovery Park to see others playing with Dolphins. Then we totally moored at the Tiburon Beach. This is where we ate fried fish, rice and vegetables. We had to PAY for our own drinks. It was NICE.

My husband paid 200 pesos ($10 US) to sit with his feet in a large container of TINY FISH from Turkey, who ate and ate all his dead skin on his feet and ankles. It was very relaxing and awesome.

NO ONE gave the crew a tip, because we were all disappointed.

RESTAURANTS:
GREEN VERDE. Just 1 block from the Condo Security Stand. GREAT Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner! Covered nicely and fans going. Comfortable. Had yummy French Toast with bacon, and I had an omelet with beef and veggies for breakfast once. Dinner was Pork Enchiladas with Green Mole Sauce (Didn’t like it), and I got Chicken Breast with Red Mole Sauce – YUMMY – then we each had a bowl of yummy vanilla ice cream with candied pecans.

OSCARS PIZZA isn’t just pizza. We had awesome, HUGE enchiladas, and one order would feed 2 adults! They were 8” long and 2” fat. Lovely melted Swiss cheese all over them. Then we ordered a Banana Split to share! Exquisite. Next time we went there, I got fish tacos and my husband got pork ribs – we didn’t care for either – but we got the banana split again – AWESOME!

MANGO CAFÉ. Only open for breakfast and lunch (til 3). Very hot inside. Polite staff, and good Fish Tacos served with Mangos.

KIN HA: We took a cab. Climbed down a lot of ramps to get down to the water’s edge. It is a beautiful setting. We saw a lovely sunset. We ordered Shrimp Skewers, but the problem was that we had to REMOVE all the slippery shells from the shrimps, and our hands were covered with slippery garlic butter – no wet wash cloths! But they were awesome tasting, once we got them de-shelled. There was a trampoline and games that children/parents could play with.

SHUTTLE from Airport to Puerto Juarez and back:
We used Happy Shuttle – reserved & paid one week ahead of time, and they were always on time and it was an air conditioned shuttle.

#58891 - 08/14/19 10:46 AM Re: Lovely Isla Mujeras [Re: kgalland]
GrandBistro Offline

We vacationed in Isla Mujeres in 2016, 2017 and 2018. I know that things change quickly, but I would not hesitate to travel to Isla by myself. I'm of Medicare age, and our evenings are, after dinner, spent mostly at the resort, swimming and reading.

I would make sure that all of my transfers were reserved and in place. (We use Carma; they are waiting at the airport when we arrive, will pre-purchase the ferry tickets for you if you include that in your online order, and pick you up at the ferry for your return to the airport.)

Most if not all of the violence in Mexico is related to the drug trade, and there just any exposure to that on this tiny island. (Cozumel is a world apart from Isla Mujeres.) Also, the violence is not directed at tourists.

Enjoy your travels!

#58819 - 05/28/19 06:30 PM Re: Lovely Isla Mujeras [Re: SteveCandy]
kgalland Offline

Thank you for such a thorough review! Would you feel that it is safe for a woman traveling alone? I've heard mixed reviews about safe travel in Cancun and the island right now.

© 2005 - Wyndham Resort Development Corporation. All rights reserved.
WorldMark™ is a federally registered service mark of Wyndham Resort Development Corporation.