Who's Online
0 registered (), 34 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Stuart_F, mazeeam, DandL, arktraveler, laney
49392 Registered Users
Forum Stats
49,392 Members
128 Forums
1,410 Topics
6,802 Posts

Max Online: 402 @ 01/21/20 09:39 AM
(Views)Popular Topics
Questions and Comments for Coral Baja 20,022,170
Coral Baja Resort Review 1,149,752
Las Vegas Resort Review 850,372
Questions and Comments for Las Vegas on the Blvd 726,045
Questions and Comments for Kihei 687,624
Kihei Resort Review 612,272
Travel Tips and Directions for Coral Baja & Area 503,169
Questions and Comments for Seaside 438,512
Activities and Things To Do - Coral Baja 397,208
Kapaa Shores Resort Review 380,588
Top Posters (30 Days)
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#4333 - 03/10/04 09:20 PM La Paloma Resort Review
Forum Host
WorldMark Forum

Have you stayed at La Paloma? Here's your chance to tell other owners what it's really like. How big is the pool? How hot is the hot tub? What do you wish you had known before you left home?

#49023 - 11/05/12 02:31 PM Re: La Paloma Resort Review [Re: RK&MK]
boswellcbdb Offline

Loc: California
Haunted?

#48661 - 09/09/12 01:03 PM Re: La Paloma Resort Review [Re: DeeDee18]
RK&MK Offline

Hey sounds like you may have sipped on a bad maragrita..! We stayed in La Paloma in a 3 bdrm last Feb. and no strange things went on..Lots of ambient noise there and wind drafts and vibratio from the elevator. May be your explaination. Doors and cd are another thought but so are the faultering memories of 2 people sharing a place. I believe the cd player was a multi disc, may have cycled around to the beginning and restarted or has a program to start it..........

#48567 - 08/23/12 10:41 PM Re: La Paloma Resort Review [Re: ]
DeeDee18 Offline

I stayed at La Paloma a couple of weeks ago. It was my first time and was excited to go regardless of what ppl say how its not safe...But i been wanting to go! And im glad i did! I had a great time and the resort was nice, safe and clean and so close to the beach.

What i didnt like was that i found out Worldmark only owns a small portion of the resorts property and the villas i had seen online were not part of Worldmark..The Worldmark building is the tallest one. I had a ocean view it sucked it was not what i expected i thought i would see a good amount of the ocean but i didnt as Worldmark is closer to the hwy than the ocean and all i saw was the rest of the resort, palm trees and a lil strip of ocean view. The pool looks bigger in pictures, when i got there the pool was small what a joke! I explored the whole resort property and saw the other 3 pools and they were not that much bigger.
Luckily i was there for the beach not for the pool so i spent most of my daytime out on the soft sand and buyin fruit off vendors relaxin with a drink. Besides the pool and the not so good view everything else was awesome! The beach access was very close to the Worldmark bulding it was just down a lil path and i was there already! THe weather was beautiful and so was at night.. it was 90 degrees i was on the beach and it felt perfect! We also hit DT Rosarito and went grocery shopping and went to eat at Los Pelicanos Hotel Restaurant..excellent customer service and food! I ordered Deer steak and Squid steak both tasted sooo good!And hit up a couple of clubs.

The Unit in itself was nice..the balcony was long it came with BBQ and table w/ chairs..everything worked except the stereo remote which wasnt a big deal..Very clean and everything was there..I did not like the beds they were outdated the mattresses were uncomfortable, the twin beds were even worse then the Kingsize bed, they were stiff! The sofa bed was worse then the rest of the beds i felt the springs in my ribs! That mattress was ready for the trash! I feel the most important thing in a nice room/resort is the bed! Your suppose to be able to get a good nights sleep while on vacation and be the most comfortable there...and Worldmark keeps FAILING to invest in nice beds/mattresses..any motel would have better mattresses then this or the same quality..The beds are def low budget!

And lastly...While staying at La Paloma me and my friend experienced some strange things in our unit. The first incident happened while we were in the dining area talkin and i heard water splashes coming from the master bdrm it sounded like the shower was on and within seconds it stopped.. We looked at each other confused then just brushed if off. Well then my friend saw a towel move on the ring hanger and also the cabinets to the stereo were opened.. when we came back to our unit they were closed. The next day i heard the shower again from the master bdrm while we were in the living room ..i immediately walked to the bathroom and the shower was on and it was slowly turning off on its own! I was shocked and confused i didnt know what to think..i eventually also forgot bout it..Then on the last morning there...We were barely wakin up and we were talkin in bed and all of a sudden we hear music playin ..Im thinkin maybe its coming from outside since we did have the balcony window open..i got up and went to the living room to find the stereo had turned on by itself! It was playing one of our CDs!! By this point i was like theres definitely something here! Ive never expereinced anything like this before anywhere ...I wasnt scared though i was just confused and tripping out and tryin to figure out a logical explanation for it but there wasnt! I will be going back i had so much fun and it was a good experience all the way around!

Edited by DeeDee18 (08/23/12 11:13 PM)

#48544 - 08/21/12 10:43 AM Re: La Paloma Resort Review [Re: lovemycondos]
Pstreet1 Offline

When you go back, if you are interested in my list of restaurants we like (we live in Rosarito over 6 mts of each year), email me at Pstreet1@aol.com and I'll get them right back to you.

#48539 - 08/20/12 04:27 PM Re: La Paloma Resort Review [Re: ]
lovemycondos Offline

I love this resort. The staff are friendly (the front desk guy is a little chilly) and very helpful. It is generally very quiet and peaceful. It was very clean and well maintained. I would suggest the following:
1. Calimax is the best place for groceries. Although they will laugh at you when you buy only 2 green chili peppers. Apparently everyone buys them by the gross. The fresh fruit is LOVELY! Go first thing in the morning for fresh tortillas. Best breakfast ever.
2. Buy a small bottle of Clorox to make a disinfection solution to soak your fruit and vegetables (and eggs). I used 1 TBSP bleach to 1 gallon water. Wash the items before you soak them and then soak for 15 to 20 minutes.
3. We really enjoyed the pools with the grandchildren, but one of my favorite things to do is go at sunset and place your beach chair on the cliff overlooking the beach. You will have an amazing time watching the sunset and watching all the pelicans diving into the surf for fish. The best things in life are free!
4. Not a fan of hot tubs, I can't help but think they are a breeding ground for all kinds of yucky stuff. I'll pass.
5. Ask the front desk to book a massage. For less than $30 you will get the most amazing one hour massage. She is good.
6. If you drive across the border to the US, plan on at least and hour and a half and all kinds of annoying sales people knocking on your window. DON'T BUY!!! It is so much less expensive in Rosarito. DO BUY the fresh churros. Yum...

Just like a visit to Chicago or New York City, don't walk around at night. I have never felt unsafe, but just don't be stupid.

We plan on going back again.

#48127 - 06/29/12 09:56 PM Re: La Paloma Resort Review [Re: ]
vallovesdes Offline

We Stayed at La Paloma June 22-25 2012.
We had no issues with this resort. The resort was well maintained inside and out. We booked 2 rooms and we were side by side, it worked out great.
I noticed people saying the pool was dirty, We had NO problems there, it seems as though La Paloma got that part fixed. The beaches were clean and the whole family enjoyed it, a bit too cold for me.
Overall this resort surpassed all my expectations!

#47700 - 04/29/12 07:13 AM Re: La Paloma Resort Review [Re: azaske]
Pstreet1 Offline

Thanks for the kind words; I'm so glad you enjoyed yourself--and it's really nice that you posted your experiences. I really do get incredibly tired of reading things people write about how unsafe Mexico is--and I find that those who write those things haven't been there to see for themselves: instead, "they've heard....."

#47666 - 04/22/12 10:49 PM Re: La Paloma Resort Review [Re: ]
azaske Offline

I was at La Paloma the second week of April with the family for spring break. I am not a big fan of resorts that are not fully Worldmark owned and ran. This trip was different! The resort was great and so was the staff.

There were a good amount of kids at the pool each day but fully expected that and there was plenty of kids for mine to play and have fun with. The resort had a good security staff that kept things quiet in the evenings so no problems with any late night disruptions.

The resort was a lot closer to town than I imagined so having a rental car made for quick trips to the store for anything needed. I would suggest the Calimax on the north end of town for most things but Wall-mart for others as Calimax has a limited selection. Mainly Calimax is a bit cheaper on most things.

Some posts have complained about the views being blocked but we found them to be fine. The balcony is fairly long so if you want a better view you can always move your chair a bit and see around the palm trees.

The resort could use some help with things to do. If you go to the office they seam a little out of touch with things to do around town. Also local maps are very hard to find. You would be best to find one online before heading there as we did not find any at the resort or in town outside one from the tourist center in town and it was only the town itself. Also you will find "PSTREET" posts here and Pat has a very nice collection of about 20 emails that are a must read for inside information on all kinds of restaurant info as well as driving directions and what to expect in Rosarito (Pat....you should publish your experiences in a book!).

Before I left for La Paloma I was confused about the washer and dryers and if they have them. Our room had the WM wash/dryer stackers across the walkway from our room. We noticed that someone was in the closet daily but had no problems with anything missing. I think they were just making sure you don't put anything on top of the hot water heater (they could use a small shelf in there as setting your detergent and dryer sheets on top of the dryer is to high to get to easily).

Most of the channels on TV will be in Spanish. The office does have a nice handful of DVD rentals for winding down at the end of the day. One tip we noticed is if the TV guide lists the show in English the show will be in English (we never did figure out how to turn off the Spanish sub titles).

Mama Mia's was a nice restaurant with a friendly staff (contact "PSTREET" for reviews of others). They were normally empty so when someone shows up for something to eat you get great attention. They are more than happy to deliver to your condo or even pool side as well. They are closed on Wednesday as a lot of places are so don't plan on trying them out on that day.

The main club house has two pool tables. The WM office is more than happy to provide the equipment so stop in there first. The other club houses are more like lookout points overlooking the beach. Not much outside of some chairs to sit and relax.

We never felt unsafe during our stay at La Paloma. Everyone we meet in and around town was very friendly. I had my reservations about traveling there but after arriving I realized that was all media at it's best!

With all said the week was very enjoyable and can not wait to go back some day!

#46135 - 08/19/11 09:50 AM Re: La Paloma Resort Review [Re: Pstreet1]
Pstreet1 Offline

The link to this thread doesn't seem to be working. I'm posting this to see if a new post makes it work again.

#45331 - 06/05/11 08:59 AM Re: La Paloma Resort Review [Re: dorothyrmiller]
Pstreet1 Offline

Dorothy, send me an email at Pstreet1@aol.com and I'll email you stuff on the area. My friends who surf use a full wet suit in the winter.

#45324 - 06/04/11 02:52 PM Re: La Paloma Resort Review [Re: ]
dorothyrmiller Offline

Loc: BC Canada
We are going November 5 2011 and want to know about surfing at that time. Is a full wet suit needed due to the cold water or is a half one bearable. Anyone?
Most of the posts for this resort are quite old. Any comments from recent stays?
Are there BBQ's to use? Should we buy water to drink? Can you walk around with alcohol and take it to the pool?
Dorothy

#44747 - 03/23/11 07:54 PM Re: La Paloma Resort Review [Re: bugsmom3]
Pstreet1 Offline

Your experience is, of course, your experience, and I'm sorry you had such a negative one in the area that we've come to call home. I suspect most of your problems would have vanished if you had been in possession of more information about the area.

In 10 years of, by choice, spending the majority of our time in Mexico, we've come to feel more secure in Mexico than we do in the U.S. In fact, PBS and CBS have a joint project filming right now about what an undiscovered gem the area from Tijuana to Ensenada is; it will be airing in September.

Your problems finding the resort could have been eliminated with better directions, which I could have given you. The point where you were "stopped by federalies with guns" is a regular, fixed point government checkpoint, not unlike an airport checkpoint or border checkpoint. For Americans, the guns are starteling at first, but we've encountered armed check points in other countries and don't find them disturbing: where the armed federalies are, the drug lords aren't.

The cafe on property was definitely not a good choice for knowing what was available in the area. Local restaurants are filled with friendly people and good food at very low prices. When you "traveled to Rosarito," you probably had no idea where to go and wound up in the tourist zone with the clubs for teens and young adults--definitely not a family atmosphere. That wasn't a good sample of Rosarito.

You needed to have more information about what the area offers, and it's unfortunate that you didn't because the lack, obviously, left a very bad impression and probably ensured that you won't ever give Rosarito another chance--and that's too bad for both you and Rosarito.

#44725 - 03/22/11 02:13 PM Re: La Paloma Resort Review [Re: ]
bugsmom3 Offline

I visited this resort a few years ago with my family. We drove across the border to the resort in our own car which I highly do not recommend. People drive extremely fast and cut you off. We came close to an accident probably ten times. The resort is not the easiest to find...we passed it and were stopped by federalies with guns. Once we finally found the resort, the gates were locked and no one was around to unlock them. We finally found a grounds keeper to let us in. It was a horrible experience and we felt like we were in a twilight zone movie because there was no one there. The cafe was closed most of the time and we saw very few staff. All the pools and hot tubs were empty except for one. When we traveled to Rosarito, we felt completely uncomfortable. There were plenty of Americans but most were drinking and partying and there was nothing for kids to do. We did however find horses to ride, but the beaches were littered with garbage and the horses were skin and bones. We were booked for 6 days but left after 2 days and drove to Palm Springs. It was HORRIBLE! I thinking others feel the same since there are so many vacancies. I would not recommend this resort and Im wondering why Worldmark still owns it. Its not good at all.

#44072 - 01/12/11 09:09 PM Re: La Paloma Resort Review [Re: dschool]
Pstreet1 Offline

The units owned by Worldmark are at the back of the resort, close to the road. Some have an ocean view. To get to the ocean, you'll be walking a block or so through beautifully landscaped grounds.

Part of the reason for the vacancies is, almost surely, fear of violence--which in my opinion, has been brought on by the American media's coverage of the Mexican drug war violence. We've owned our home in Rosarito for over 11 years now; we spend over half the year there each year. We do not feel threatened; if we did, we wouldn't go. We have a lovely home in the U.S. that we love--but we love Rosarito more.

I can't speak to rules that are different from other resorts; I have no knowledge of them.

#44062 - 01/12/11 10:31 AM Re: La Paloma Resort Review [Re: dschool]
dschool Offline

Also, can anyone tell me where the resort sits within all those condominiums? Do we have an ocean view? Are we close to the beach? I'm a Cabo nut so it's gonna be hard to beat! Thanks in advance.

#44060 - 01/12/11 09:52 AM Re: La Paloma Resort Review [Re: Pstreet1]
dschool Offline

Are there so many rooms available because of the fear of violence? Is there a problem with the resort? What are the "rules" we need to follow at this property that we don't follow at all the others? We have reservations for mid-March, however I'm beginning to rethink the wisdom of this!

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© 2005 - Wyndham Resort Development Corporation. All rights reserved.
WorldMark™ is a federally registered service mark of Wyndham Resort Development Corporation.