Who's Online
0 registered (), 26 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Stuart_F, mazeeam, DandL, arktraveler, laney
49392 Registered Users
Forum Stats
49,392 Members
128 Forums
1,410 Topics
6,802 Posts

Max Online: 402 @ 01/21/20 09:39 AM
(Views)Popular Topics
Questions and Comments for Coral Baja 20,022,170
Coral Baja Resort Review 1,149,752
Las Vegas Resort Review 850,372
Questions and Comments for Las Vegas on the Blvd 726,045
Questions and Comments for Kihei 687,624
Kihei Resort Review 612,272
Travel Tips and Directions for Coral Baja & Area 503,169
Questions and Comments for Seaside 438,512
Activities and Things To Do - Coral Baja 397,208
Kapaa Shores Resort Review 380,588
Top Posters (30 Days)
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Topic Options
#55669 - 02/24/15 08:00 AM Questions & Comments for Zihuatanejo
KrisComm Offline

Have questions regarding this resort? Want to give someone kudos for the great story they shared in their Vacation Journal or for their awesome photo album? Do it here. Title your reply "Questions - Zihuatanejo," "Kudos: Journal - Zihuatanejo," or Kudos: Photos - Zihuatanejo". This will make it easy to search this thread to find the questions and answers or the respective kudos. Be sure to give us the username for your thank you.

#57532 - 02/27/17 12:05 PM Re: Questions & Comments for Zihuatanejo [Re: Jack and Jo]
Jack and Jo Offline

Loc: Washington
Sorry this is so long! We have returned from this resort and I wanted to edit some of our comments in our other post. This was our first trip this far south in Mexico. It seemed less Americanized (?)than farther north in Mexico.
LANGUAGE: There were many locals that could speak some broken English, others that could speak it well and others none at all. We had set up a Verizon $2 a day plan ahead of time
to we were able to use our phones to make use of searches for language translation. Google translate has an app that will translate menus in Spanish just by opening the app, clicking on the camera icon in the app and then holding it over the Spanish menus. It will change the words to English. Don't ask me how! It worked well when we really needed it. The resort staff speaks English. We toured during the day and did not feel in any danger. After dark we used taxis.
MONEY: The resort did not have an ATM. Travelers would be wise to have and use pesos. We did some research before leaving home to determine the exchange rate and I made a cheat sheet. There are many exchange apps on your phone. It worked well to know dollar to peso. During our visit it was rather simple: one dollar (USD) to about twenty pesos. We met many Canadians in Zihuatenejo and Ixtapa. They would have a different exchange rate of course. Many of the market locals knew in general what the exchange rate was for any purchase.
CREDIT CARDS and ATMS: Very few places accepted credit cards. Restaurants on the beaches asked for pesos. When we needed to restock on pesos we were able to locate a bank in the back of a furniture and appliance store. Three in our party had dollars to trade for pesos at the teller window. We did not. We used a credit card at the ATM located beside the teller windows. After forgetting the pin numbers for the first two cards we tried we were able to use a third card. (We have never used the pin number on our credit cards). The English speaking teller helped us figure out the language on the machine. I don't remember if the window tellers asked the others in our party to see passports. If you find an actual bank to get pesos we were told to have your passport with you. We were able to use our credit card in one nice restaurant, a leather store and jewelry store for three purchases.
SAFE IN THE ROOM: When checking in we were asked to make a $100 deposit on the key as that is the replacement cost. It was credited when we returned the key.
RESORT LOCATION AND TRANSFERS: We used our google app to keep track of our location if we needed it. Before we left home in Washington state I added the resort address in my phone contact list to share the info with taxi drivers. I'm glad I did. I even showed one younger driver the location app to help him find the resort. As not to confuse it with WalMart we let them know it was up on the hill. Many drivers know where the resort is at after one and one half years. I had typed in the old name 'Villa Vera Puerto Mio' under notes in that same contact listing. A few knew where that was if they did not know WorldMark.
TAXIS: We took the WorldMark transfer from the airport to the resort. Next time we would consider walking to the end of the taxi line at the airport and take one of those. If you feel unsure the transfer was worth it for our first time. Yes, there were a few persons that talked timeshares just outside the exit after bag check at the airport. To return to the airport it was much less in a regular taxi. I want to say $360 pesos for two. Save some pesos to pay the driver. Taxis to and from town was $60 pesos in either direction. A taxi to Ixtapa was $140 or $160 pesos for two each way.
RESORT: We loved this unique resort. Very relaxing. Great staff. Every room seemed a different size. We had a studio hotel king with a small deck (wide enough for two lawn chairs facing one another and a small table). The room included a coffee maker, refrigerator that held the ice bucket (to keep the ice from melting) and a pitcher we brought for iced tea (my husband makes his own). We stored several water bottles in the door and on their side on the top shelf. Meds could be stored in it also. The office has a water dispenser to refill water containers and an ice machine with consumable ice nearby on another floor. There was also a small microwave in our room. The shower water was warm to hot, the bathroom sink had a large counter, the closet was in the bathroom as well as storage shelves. The sleeping area had a long desk counter top with a large mirror, a TV on the wall (ours was usually on FOX and in English), and another separate small storage shelf. The bed base and night stands were stucco (cement?. The night stands had a storage shelf for clothes and there was one more storage area under the long counter. We brought enough clothes for our stay because laundry must be sent out of the resort if you need to wash anything. A power strip is a good idea. We used a multi plug in outlet.
NO, IN GENERAL THE RESORT IS NOT HANDICAP ACCESIBLE. There are two rooms located on the resort entry floor beside the office. In every direction from those rooms there are stairs. Room service could be used. I did not see access to the restaurant or pool down several flights of stairs. The town area is accessible if you don't mind tight places. It seemed generally level. The sidewalks were crowded with people or sometimes displays.
I will add more posts about our stay under other heading when I have time.
All for now. Enjoy

#57490 - 02/12/17 05:59 PM Re: Questions & Comments for Zihuatanejo [Re: FLOATGAL]
Jack and Jo Offline

Loc: Washington
We have done much reading on this. We will be in Zihuatanejo next week also. We learned that the best exchange rate is through the use of a credit card. Next in line the ATM's near the resorts and you will be charged the regular ATM fee. Maybe the resort has an ATM. We asked at three banks at home in our area and found that Wells Fargo had pesos on a currency exchange day. What luck! We are located in a area where pesos are sometimes returned from Mexico. We asked at a local Hispanic grocery store. They had none.
We have read in other travel web sites that the water should not be drank from the faucets anywhere. Be careful of the ice also. (Maybe only usable in the larger resorts). In those same reviews we read that there is potable water available in the resort entry for use in the rooms.
Have a great vacation. Maybe we will cross paths.

#57481 - 02/07/17 01:22 PM Re: Questions & Comments for Zihuatanejo [Re: KrisComm]
FLOATGAL Offline

Loc: OR
Coming to Zihuatanejo next week: Is the water at the hotel safe to drink? where best to exchange dollars to pesos?
Thanks!
Camlin,Vancouver,Victoria,DepoeBay,Newport,Windsor,ClearLake Kauai,Taos,SantaFe,RedRiver,LasVegas,Whistler,DeerHarbor,BirchBay,MarinerVillage,Surfside,LongBeach,Anaheim,Indio,StablewoodSprings,Seaside

#56673 - 02/15/16 09:42 AM Re: Questions & Comments for Zuhuatanejo [Re: Sherrie1992]
plelgar Offline

We just got back from Zihua and loved it. I will try to answer your questions.
1. The internet was very poor. Sometimes we could limited access but mostly we had no internet. We were on the 3rd floor. We did use the business centre a few times to catch up on emails, etc.
2. See my review of restaurants under the restaurant thread.
3. We did not use the resort to get a taxi from the airport as it was way more expensive. (It was offered to us in an email before we arrived.) The taxis are off to the left when you exit the airport. We paid 500 pesos.
4. We always asked the taxi driver how much the fare was to our resort before we got into the taxi from town. From the downtown part of town we never paid more than 40 pesos. Some taxis said it was more than that and we said no thanks and waited for the next taxi. There are always lots of taxis.
5. We did our grocery shopping at Mexicana commercial which is a big grocery store in town. We walked there and took a taxi back. It was a long walk though - about 40 minutes. Stopping on your way from the airport is a good idea too. We also shopped at the outdoor market for fresh fruit for breakfast and at bakeries in town for pastries.
The room does have a fridge but it is super tiny (about 12"x18"). It didn't cost extra. There was also a coffee maker.
A few other points you might be interested in: the bed was very comfortable and not hard. The water in the shower never got hot but was warm enough. If you stay for more than a week you get a free cleaning. The air conditioner worked very well. There is no hot tub but our room had a Jacuzzi tub with a great view.
Hope this helps.

#56575 - 01/15/16 01:33 PM Re: Questions & Comments for Zuhuatanejo [Re: shygirl]
LLambeth Offline

Loc: Spokane, WA
Hi- we are getting ready to head down and can't find any posts about the resort since Worldmark took over. Can you update me on how the resort is? Anything we need to know?
Thank You
Larry

#56535 - 01/03/16 01:03 PM Re: Questions & Comments for Zuhuatanejo [Re: Sherrie1992]
shygirl Offline

Sherrie, did you do your trip in Dec to Zuhuatanejo? I am going next week and would be interested in your answers to the questions you had posted. Mainly how much is the taxi from the airport and is there a mini fridge in the room to use. Also what kind of unit did you book and did it have a balcony with view.

#56314 - 09/26/15 03:24 PM Re: Questions & Comments for Zuhuatanejo [Re: Judy in AK]
Judy in AK Offline

Thanks Sherrie for your response to my earlier post, and if you get any answers to your other post, please let us all know. I like to be prepared and know what to expect when traveling to a new destination, too.

Edited by Judy in AK (09/26/15 03:25 PM)

#56231 - 08/28/15 02:29 PM Re: Questions & Comments for Zuhuatanejo [Re: KrisComm]
Sherrie1992 Offline

I am going to be visiting this new resort in Dec. 2015. Here are some questions I feel would be helpful to know before I go if someone would take the time to answer them (please identify what room you had): 1) Did your room have wifi internet and was it a good connection. 2) How was the cost of food at the Resort Restaurant in comparison to walking into town. 3) How was your experience getting a taxi at the airport and what was the cost (in July 2014 someone wrote they paid $28.00). 4) Someone suggested that if you take a taxi to or from the resort to town you should negotiate before going and agree to only $4.00 and say that is all we have. What was your experience? 5) Someone suggested this Great Tip - When your cab driver picks you up from the airport ask them to stop at the American Market. They pass this grocery store while driving you through town to your hotel. Stock up on Water (5 gallons..for $2.50) and buy snacks, beer, etc. ..this will save you so much in the end. My question is did your room have a refrigerator in it and was it accessible for keeping left overs or your own drinks cold (some reviews said they had to pay extra for use of the refrigerators in the rooms). I don't know if the room will even have a fridge so that would be helpful to know.

That's all I can think of at the moment for questions.....if I think of more I'll post an additional question in the forum. Thanks in advance if you are able to contribute to my questions. I hope those who contribute to this forum will post helpful information to those who wish to travel in the future. It's always nice to read that folks had a great time but I believe it is even more helpful when folks write out helpful information for others.

Edited by Sherrie1992 (08/30/15 08:55 PM)

#56230 - 08/28/15 02:09 PM Re: Questions & Comments for Zuhuatanejo [Re: Johnson Family]
Sherrie1992 Offline

In reply to Johnson Family............You have to walk (or take a taxi) to the beach it is about a 1/2 mile away. Go to tripadvisor.com to see photos and reviews from previous visitors. Keep in mind these reviews were given before WorldMark took the resort over (most are very positive). Be sure to share how your trip was after you return.

Edited by Sherrie1992 (08/28/15 02:12 PM)

#56229 - 08/28/15 02:07 PM Re: Questions & Comments for Zuhuatanejo [Re: Judy in AK]
Sherrie1992 Offline

In reply to Judy in AK....I haven't been to the resort yet but I was able to get some reviews for the resort on trip advisor.com. There are over 100 photos and reviews. I recommend taking the time to read the reviews from past visitors but just keep in mind that these reviews were when the Hotel was owned by someone else other than World Mark. This resort is located in the hills and does not have beach access (unless you walk about 1/2 a mile). It is secluded and private and with only a few units that have the ability to have more than two people you probably won't find to many children at this resort. Most reviews said it is quaint, quiet and romantic. If you go to google earth and type in the address you will find its location on the hill and be able to "get your bearings". I'll be sure to report how my trip was after we return in Dec. 2015.

Edited by Sherrie1992 (08/28/15 02:12 PM)

#56212 - 08/19/15 10:37 PM Re: Questions & Comments for Zuhuatanejo [Re: terry8704]
Judy in AK Offline

How did you determine where you think the resort is located? I checked Google Maps with street view and to me it appeared to be in more of a rural setting, or at least, not within easy walking distance to other facilities. And, especially not close to the water/beach. We also have reservations for two weeks in Feb 2016, and am trying to get our bearings. Do you normally rent a vehicle while in Ixtapa, or use the local transport? We usually went to Puerto Vallarta and relied on walking or the buses to get around, and in rare cases, taxis. I'll continue to research the area, but would appreciate any more input you might have.
thanks, Judy

#56202 - 08/16/15 08:53 AM Re: Questions & Comments for Zuhuatanejo [Re: KrisComm]
JPLilly Offline

Just checking to see if anyone knows if there are coffee pots and mini fridges in the rooms. I understand they don't have mini kitchens or full kitchens, but would like to know what conveniences they have.

Also, do the rooms have a view or balcony? I have a studio hotel booked for November.

Thank you---

#56042 - 06/26/15 10:19 AM Re: Questions & Comments for Zuhuatanejo [Re: terry8704]
Johnson Family Offline

Is this resort right on a beach where swimming is permitted or do you need to walk drive farther away to get to a beach?

#55949 - 05/29/15 05:46 AM Re: Questions & Comments for Zuhuatanejo [Re: DrJimmy]
terry8704 Offline

Just returned from a trip to Ixtapa in February and received word of our new resort opening in Zihuatanejo. First of all, you need to spell the name correctly as I have done above. Secondly, we have been going to Axtapa for the past 5 years and have never been anything but comfortable about our safety. We were so excited to learn of the new facility for us that we booked two units for next Feb. 2016. Our plan is to spend a week at Worldmark then two weeks in our friend's apartment on the beach in Ixtapa. We know about where the resort is and it should be a snap to walk everywhere and enjoy all the bay side restaurants and artisan stall in town. The people are not pushy like they are in Cabo and the food and shopping is very reasonable. We have many great memories of visits to this area and can't wait to go back next winter!

#55739 - 03/24/15 07:50 AM Re: Questions & Comments for Zuhuatanejo [Re: mardy66]
DrJimmy Offline

Good question. But to add a little perspective, the great State of California had 1,745 reported homicides in 2013, according to the California Department of Justice. So is anywhere truly "safe"?

#55721 - 03/18/15 01:44 PM Re: Questions & Comments for Zuhuatanejo [Re: KrisComm]
mardy66 Offline

Is this area of Mexico safe? I was considering making reservations but the current official U.S. State Department travel notice as of October 2014 reads"

"Flying into the coastal cities in southern Guerrero remains the preferred method of travel. You should defer non-essential travel by land between Acapulco and Zihuatanejo/Ixtapa; travel to Zihuatanejo/Ixtapa only by air, and exercise caution while in Zihuatanejo/Ixtapa. The state of Guerrero was the most violent state in Mexico in 2013, with 2,087 homicides and 207 reported cases of kidnapping, according to the Mexican Secretariado Ejecutivo Nacional de Seguridad Publica. Self-defense groups operate independently of the government in many areas of Guerrero. Armed members of these groups frequently maintain roadblocks and, although not considered hostile to foreigners or tourists, are suspicious of outsiders and should be considered volatile and unpredictable."

Is this still the case??

#55671 - 02/25/15 02:10 PM Re: Questions & Comments for Zuhuatanejo [Re: LOTES]
bthorman Offline

Loc: San Francisco Area
I got a text today announcing the other one is now available for reservations.

#55670 - 02/24/15 12:41 PM Re: Questions & Comments for Zuhuatanejo [Re: KrisComm]
LOTES Offline

Oh, look -- new forum threads on the two anticipated MX properties. I'm guessing there will be a formal announcement of the two new MX properties coming soon? grin

© 2005 - Wyndham Resort Development Corporation. All rights reserved.
WorldMark™ is a federally registered service mark of Wyndham Resort Development Corporation.