Who's Online
0 registered (), 39 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Stuart_F, mazeeam, DandL, arktraveler, laney
49392 Registered Users
Forum Stats
49,392 Members
128 Forums
1,410 Topics
6,802 Posts

Max Online: 402 @ 01/21/20 09:39 AM
(Views)Popular Topics
Questions and Comments for Coral Baja 20,022,170
Coral Baja Resort Review 1,149,752
Las Vegas Resort Review 850,372
Questions and Comments for Las Vegas on the Blvd 726,045
Questions and Comments for Kihei 687,624
Kihei Resort Review 612,272
Travel Tips and Directions for Coral Baja & Area 503,169
Questions and Comments for Seaside 438,512
Activities and Things To Do - Coral Baja 397,208
Kapaa Shores Resort Review 380,588
Top Posters (30 Days)
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#1568 - 03/02/04 02:33 PM Kihei Resort Review
Forum Host
WorldMark Forum

Have you stayed at the Kihei resort? Here's your chance to tell other owners what it's really like. How big is the pool? How hot is the hot tub? What do you wish you had known before you left home?

#59361 - 04/06/22 09:51 AM Re: Kihei Resort Review - 2BR Queen [Re: Forum Host]
Pat_604 Offline

Loc: Beautiful BC, Canada
I just learnt that the 2-bdrm queen units are only in building #6 & #8. And Building#4-9 are all 4-storey building and the other ones are lower. Certain buildings have better oceanview than others.

#59357 - 04/04/22 10:34 PM Re: Kihei Resort Review- Over Xmas holidays [Re: Forum Host]
Pat_604 Offline

Loc: Beautiful BC, Canada
Visited our Kihei resort from Dec 27 to Jan 4th and had a great time. Stayed in a 2-bedroom suite on the 3rd floor with some ocean view because we booked 13 months out. I am glad the front desk assigned our unit accordingly.
There were no smell or issues with our unit but it is a bit tired. From what I understand, it was supposed to have a remodeling done in 2019 which did not happen. It was then scheduled for early 2022 and I believe that it is also not happening.
Everything worked as expected from our club and the AC is always nice even in December. Overall the front desk staff were great but I think they were short of cleaning staff as we waited until almost 6pm before our room was ready.
Within short 2 min walk, we can get to the beach. Along that strip, there are lots of places to eat and to walk around.
We had a rental car and there is lots of parking. Right outside the resort, there are usually 2 food trucks and sometimes a shave ice truck too. Many people even drove there to get food from these food trucks.
The only and biggest disappointing thing was the marketing center where they insisted to have both people on the contract to attend. In my case, it was my daughter and myself on the contract and it was definitely not necessary for her to go. The initial sales lead staff did not tell us that when we booked the appt. My partner and I had to wake up early for this 8am appointment. The marketing staff was so RUDE about not having the 2nd person (my daughter) to attend and then they dared to call us in our unit that afternoon because they have an open spot. WTF.

#59335 - 02/10/22 08:15 AM Re: Kihei Resort Review [Re: Forum Host]
lindaj Offline

We just returned from Kihei. We were there January 25 through February 3. Yes, the room is a little "dated", but we didn't care. We got a three bedroom, and took two other couples with us.
I love the location, I can go swimming every day across the street! It is not far from Lahina and Kanapoli (I hope I spelled those correctly!). We did some new things this time. We went to the swap meet, that was fun. There is an art exhibit at the Cultural Center, portraits done by Hawaiian artists, which was fascinating. We saw the petroglyphs -- which are difficult to find, but we found them --- on the road to Lahina, and that was very interesting.
We went kayaking out of Lahina as well. The weather was 84* every day, during the day.
The staff was great, very friendly.
We did get asked to do a presentation and we turned it down. We did not want to spend our time in Hawaii in a presentation!
The wristbands are a good idea and work well to get in and out of the room and pool. And swimming does not bother them, they still work.
We have been to Kihei several times.
They are showing the new suites coming up -- a poster in the lobby. I'm not sure when they are coming? But, I guess they are in the pipeline.
It was a great visit and our guests loved being there.

#59290 - 10/12/21 10:42 AM Re: Kihei Resort Review [Re: Forum Host]
marzidog Offline

We stayed at Kihei in late August/September, 2021. It was our second time at this resort. This time was a two bedroom twin. We were in the first building (number 5 maybe) closest to the beach on the first floor. First off, everyone at this resort is incredibly nice and helpful. Customer service is not an issue at all and I wish all WM resorts had people as friendly as those at the Kihei resort. With that being said, I won’t go back until this resort is refurbished. Against my better judgement we took registration’s advice for the ground floor room instead of a second floor room because it was “in a better location”. The room was really kind of unsatisfactory. Being on the bottom, it was dark and constantly felt damp and had a bit of an unpleasant musty smell to it. The second day we discovered ants in the kitchen. They came and sprayed for them twice but the ants remained and there weren’t any other available rooms. As others have mentioned the furnishings are incredibly dated and felt sticky, though that alone didn’t bother me as much and these conditions were similar to our stay three years ago. I’m hoping WM invests a little money in this property. Yes, it’s always booked and the location is fabulous but it really is not up to par with other resorts.

#59281 - 09/22/21 05:39 AM Re: Kihei Resort Review [Re: Forum Host]
nanajean Offline

Has anyone stayed at Kihei resort within the past year? I plan to go next year.

#59262 - 07/14/21 06:32 PM Re: Kihei Resort Review [Re: Forum Host]
johton Offline

HAWAII COVID STAY at WORLDMARK Kihei

We just returned from an 8 night (7/5– 7/13) stay at Worldmark Kihei. This was our eighth stay at the Worldmark Kihei. We stayed in a 2 bedroom located in building 3, 1st floor.

I went to check-in, about 4:30pm, got the keys (keys and wristbands). There were five of us staying in the room. Each person was required to open up their Hawaii Safe Travels account and show that they were exempt from the mandatory quarantine. Exemptions for us at the time (July 5 - mainland travelers), was to show a negative covid test (within 72 hours of traveling). Beginning July 8, proof of vaccination will also exempt you from quarantine. Opened up our accounts, the staff was patient and helpful while doing this. Then you go to get the parking pass (except no parking passes required anymore), and of course they want you to go to an owners meeting. Politely said I wasn't interested. I think they offered something like $100 or some Wyndham points. I was in and out in a few minutes. Please note that our friends didn't arrive until 11:30 pm, and they too were required to go to the office when they arrived and show their exemptions.

Let me premise this by saying Maui is awesome, there are many things to do, and see, and we will be back. The room is nothing more than a base camp to adventure from. The room was old and tired. Frankly it was worn out! We didn't let that stop us from enjoying the trip, and neither should anyone else. I've heard rumors about rooms being updated, but I don't know if or when. I could go on about the room, but it is what is was. I will say it is pretty hard to keep sand out of the room, as we go to the beach a lot. It would be nice if Worldmark put vacuums back into the rooms in Kihei! A broom really doesn't help with the sand in the carpet.

We did use the pool. The first few days, there were maybe 20 lounge chairs out, due to Hawaii Covid restrictions. On July 8th, restrictions opened, but only slightly. There were more lounge chairs put out, but there are still many in storage., you can see them in the cabana. We had no problem getting lounge chairs when we went to the pool. The pool was not really crowded any of the times we went.

There were a few places we wanted to eat dinner at, but currently they weren't accepting reservations. Monkeypod (wailea) comes to mind. Tried to go twice, once at 3:30 pm and another time at 5:00 pm. Each time the wait was over an hour. So we left and went other places. Nalu's does have good food! Home Maid Cafe in Azeka Shopping Center for Malasadas are excellent too! Places that accepted reservations were often booked several days out, so plan accordingly. It looks like Mama's Fish House is booked out several months.

I'd recommend driving past Makena to La Perouse. The lava fields were incredible. If you look upcountry you can see a rather large white house. I'm not positive, but I think it might be Oprah's Maui house, for those who are interested in that kind of thing. There is a trail at La Perouse (you can find several videos of it on Youtube), it's a cool (well it's actually hot so bring lots of water) walk. It looks dolphins like to hang out in the bay as well. Next time we're going to book a snorkel trip that includes La Perouse.

Car rentals - book ahead. We booked ours 5 months ahead of time, and before they figured out there wasn't enough cars for everyone. There were several Uhaul trucks in the Worldmark parking lot, which I assume were for people who couldn't book from one of the rental car companies but snagged a Uhaul rental. It looks like they are shipping more cars over. Our friends rental car (Camry) had just over 300 miles on it. Our car had over 33,000 miles. It looked like there were several new cars in the parking lot garage, and parked next to the airport.

Maui has a plastic bag ban, and a straw ban. Not judging just posting the facts. Although Starbucks was handing out plastic straws. The rest of the straws were paper.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask!

Edited by johton (07/14/21 06:36 PM)

#58947 - 10/28/19 05:56 AM Re: Kihei Resort Review [Re: Forum Host]
KAVISCO Offline

We have stayed at this resort many times. I can't remember how many times since it opened. We generally request Building 4 bottom floor because it's been very convenient for us and having a garden view instead of an Ocean View doesn't matter to us as we are always out and about the island. The resort needs a refurbishment as it has the same decorations and furniture from the early 2000s. The carpet is showing its age now and there is a musty smell that just can't be covered up anymore. We did have them come in and clean the air filter, ionize, and still a musty smell. We ended up buying scented candles and that did the trick. I recommend Pumpkin Spice (maybe because we just like Halloween). One reason we continue to go back to this resort is the staff. From the Manager, Scott to the pool attendants and housekeeping, Everyone has a great attitude, showing the Aloha Spirit. They really go the extra mile to make you feel like "Ohana" (Family). I'm not sure when we'll be back, but we will be back.

#58903 - 08/20/19 07:52 PM Re: Kihei Resort Review [Re: TJman]
cougsmom Offline

Loc: Washington State
It is interesting to listen to an owner bash a property for needing upgrading, considering this property is NEVER empty. When are they supposed to refurbish this property? As owners, we want all of the rooms available, but we expect them to be beautiful and updated. They have to close off part of the resort to upgrade it, think about it.

#58347 - 06/05/18 12:54 PM Re: Kihei Resort Review [Re: Forum Host]
FairWood70 Offline

Loc: Washington
I have a reservation in Kihei for the week of April 4 thou April 11. After booking I noticed it is for a one bedroom Special Needs. I do not need Special Needs so if someone that needs it and would like to trade please let me know.

#58326 - 05/15/18 05:29 PM Re: Kihei Resort Review [Re: Forum Host]
naomi Offline

We stayed at Kihei last May 2017. We only used the pool on the last day because who needs a pool when you are on an island?? The unit we had, which was two bedroom, was lovely and the kitchen and laundry were modern and clean. the beds and bathroom were modern and clean as well, and the whole unit was very pretty. The concierge was helpful in helping us book a few trips and events. The office for check in and out was in a trailer, so I guess they were renovating that part. You will need a car to get most places, though you can walk to a few restaurants, and the beach is just across the street. I recommend this place!

#57978 - 10/17/17 07:10 PM Re: Kihei Resort Review [Re: Forum Host]
kppreno Offline

We had a wonderful stay at Kihei! The guest services rep loaned us an umbrella and chairs for the beach which made it so enjoyable. The resort is very quiet and clean. A/C was a wonderful treat after coming back from the days journey. There are so many restaurants close and food trucks right outside the resort which were delicious. Time for the beds to be updated, felt like the old style, a little uncomfortable but not too bad. Staff was wonderful, pool was great, enjoyed it all!

#57907 - 09/01/17 07:28 AM Re: Kihei Resort Review [Re: TJman]
slabeaume Offline

Wow! Hope they get it all fixed before we get there in a couple months! We've been there 4 times now and have never had problems like that! Did they offer to move you to a different room? Was the trailer that was parked in front of the resort the food truck or is there a different trailer now? Do they have an estimated time when they expect the hot tub to be fixed?

#57891 - 08/24/17 08:09 PM Re: Kihei Resort Review [Re: Forum Host]
TJman Offline

We are staying at the Kihei Worldmark on Maui for one week, currently. We have loved our Worldmark membership and have been impressed with every property we have ever stayed at, until now. I am surprised that this property is in such disrepair considering its, well, Hawaii. We are all very disappointed in our stay here.

First, when you pull up you check in at a trailer parked in front of the resort. The resort appears very dirty. The concrete is covered in dust and dirt and the plants do not look healthy. There is garbage in the gardens as well. The resort has outside entrances and there are 4 stories. We stayed on the 4th floor....slowest elevator ever!

The room is a nice size, I will say that. However, the first night the maintenance man had to come and replace the refrigerator because it would not work. The cupboards in the kitchen are broken and drawers do not slide. The washer worked well but the dryer would not dry our clothes. We reported it to the office but they did nothing about it.

There is a place in the back of the resort to exchange your towels, it is actually their laundry room. It is nasty. You bring your beach towels there and they give you new ones but you have to be there between 8 and 4. So, don't be late. We attempted to wash our own towels but the dryer would not get them dry.

Then, my daughter slept in the murphy bed and woke up with bug bites all over her legs. I totally stripped the bed apart and could not find any bed bugs but the bites speak for themselves.

So, needless to say, we are disappointed in our stay at the Kihei Worldmark and will not return. I have heard the Kaanapali property is terrible but I can't imagine it could be worse and the location is much better, IMO.

On the positive, Kihei does have some beautiful beaches and the resort is across the street. However, I think spending the extra money on a comfortable hotel or condo right on the beach, like at Kaanapali, makes for a much better and more comfortable vacation.

Oh yeah, did I forget to mention? The hot tub is out of order too.

#57881 - 08/14/17 07:09 AM Re: Kihei Resort Review [Re: deb5]
Living4Him Offline

Loc: California
Depending on ages and interests here are a few suggestions:
Lahaina shops, restaurants, Banyan tree park, explore resorts in Kanapali
Luau, I'ao Needle, pineapple plantation
Ma'alaea Harbor, Ocean center, shops excursions sunset dinner cruise
Up-country towns of Pa'ia, Makawaao, Kula Botanical garden, lavender farm,
Haleakala drive or do mountain bikes down, zip-line
Road to Hana full day waterfalls nature hikes, Ho'okipa Park wind surfering

Don't forget to set aside time to enjoy beaches and warm water.

Would suggest getting book Maui Revealed hope this helps have fun and enjoy
I'm going for two weeks in November can't wait.

Visited: Solvang, Big Bear, Indio (2), Oceanside (2), San Diego, Dolphins cove,
Anaheim (4), Kihei (6), Cairns and Port Douglas Aus

#57878 - 08/13/17 10:43 AM Re: Kihei Resort Review [Re: slabeaume]
deb5 Offline

Spending ll days at Kihei later this month. Other than snorkeling what are the top activities and attractions to complete while there and on Maui? Thank you, debf

#57854 - 07/29/17 08:28 AM Re: Kihei Resort Review [Re: Forum Host]
cthayer Offline

Where are the 3 br units in the complex?

#57821 - 07/18/17 06:59 PM Re: Kihei Resort Review [Re: cyberflip]
slabeaume Offline

There are many many great places to snorkel around Maui straight from the beach! No need to pay for an excursion. Here's a link to my last Maui trip. We do a LOT of snorkeling when we're there!
http://livingthealohahi.blogspot.com/2016/08/2016-maui-and-kauai.html
click on the date for more photos and blog for each day.

#57724 - 05/27/17 02:02 PM Re: Kihei Resort Review [Re: janienbob]
cyberflip Offline

you mentioned snorkeling. can you just go anywhere to snorkel or you have to go out in the ocean and pay a company?

#57625 - 04/09/17 05:09 PM Re: Kihei Resort Review and good owner info [Re: AndersonFong]
janienbob Offline

Loc: Oregon
Put yourself on the waitlist. We have done that several times and have gotten a unit each time. One year we didn't get a unit until Sept. for a March trip. Good Luck

#57624 - 04/09/17 05:05 PM Re: Kihei Resort Review [Re: reneeja2000]
janienbob Offline

Oh My you apparently didn't have a good time. We love Kihei. We go almost every year for two weeks and prefer Kihei over almost all the other resorts, especially Valley Isle. Did you love the pool? that's where we spend most of our days when we aren't snorkeling or at the beach. smirk

#57623 - 04/09/17 05:02 PM Re: Kihei Resort Review [Re: Horton]
janienbob Offline

We have stayed in studios at the Worldmark in Kihei. The first one we stayed in (several years ago) was in the front building and we had an ocean view. It's been awhile and I can't really remember what kind of seating we had BUT we did not sit on the bed so there must have been, probably a sofa and maybe a chair. the room was not huge but we did just fine. there are chairs and a table on the patio.

The second time we stayed in a studio was not a good experience. It was in the back building, bottom floor and the driveway went right past our room. I didn't feel comfortable leaving the patio door open at night so the room got stuffy. Maybe it was because the first week and a half we were in a two bedroom with friends and were finishing up our vacation in the studio but I really did not like it. Again, I don't remember much about the room but do know that we did not sit on the bed. We spend most of our days out and about so size isn't a problem. Just the location.

#57622 - 04/07/17 04:29 PM Re: Kihei Resort Review [Re: Forum Host]
Horton Offline

Hello out there! Could someone tell me if studio units at Kihei are comfortable enough for two? Since they are described as not having a couch, it makes me think that they are pretty small and crampy. However if they are roomy, it may not be too bad. It would just be nice to have a couch or some chairs since we like to sit and play guitars. Someone once told me that staying in a studio was nice since they could hear the ocean breeze at night while leaving the sliding door open. Do any of the studio units have views, and where are they located--upper level, ground level etc.? Do they have a lanai/balcony with table and chairs? Any pictures would be helpful. Thank you kindly.

Edited by Horton (04/08/17 10:36 AM)

#57598 - 03/26/17 05:49 PM Re: Kihei Resort Review [Re: Forum Host]
wunderlust Offline

I am so tired of owners complaining....WM is such a value and there are so many of them. Really, if you are unhappy just rent your ownership. Kihei location is perfect. Not as touristy as Lahaina and the staff went far beyond being helpful. You don't go to Maui to stay in the room, right? The rooms are clean and have everything you need after a day exploring.....not many good places to eat but you have a kitchen and there is a Costco....

#57595 - 03/26/17 07:28 AM Re: looking for Kihei Resort Review 2017 [Re: Forum Host]
kni34 Offline

Have you stayed at the Kihei resort? Here's your chance to tell other owners what it's really like. How big is the pool? How hot is the hot tub? What do you wish you had known before you left home?

#57398 - 12/28/16 03:41 PM Re: Kihei Resort Review [Re: Forum Host]
reneeja2000 Offline

I am done spending my time in WM resorts. Just returned from staying in Kehei and even with the remodel, it is comparable to a 2 star hotel - horribly cheap and uncomfortable beds, substandard linens, tacky décor, etc. Other owners may love it but this longtime owner wishes we never would have purchased.

#57180 - 08/31/16 10:33 AM Re: Kihei Resort Review [Re: Forum Host]
USMC Offline

My wife and I are relatively new owners and have recently returned from a 7 day visit to the WM resort in Kihei. We stayed in a 2br/queen in building #6 and found the room to be clean with a sliver of ocean view from the balcony.

You can be on the beach in a 2-3 min walk from the resort and there are many restaurants and open air markets in the town Kihei – in walking distance or a short drive. Kihei reminded me of a small beach community. We did venture out and found many beaches along the way. The town of Lahaina has many shops and restaurants along Front Street. We visited family who was staying at the Marriott in Kaanapali which was a more commercialized resort area with many amenities and golf courses; however, we prefer the quaintness of Kihei – just a personal preference for us.

The resort staff was very friendly and accommodating to any questions we may have had. The concierge provided a brief of Maui and can schedule trips. The food truck outside the resort has excellent food and the ABC store across the street has a wide variety of items from food, drinks, souvenirs, t-shirts, and a fresh deli - found some local Maui Onion Dip there which was awesome.

With check out on our last day being 1200, we were looking at booking an available studio because our flight was not scheduled to leave until 10:55 pm. The staff then informed us of their “hospitality room” designated as a shared 2br/queen which provides departing guests a place to rest and allows pool access.

We will definitely visit Kihei again.

Big Bear, Indio, Palm Springs, Las Vegas Tropicana, Solvang, and Kihei

#57097 - 07/31/16 10:06 AM Re: Kihei Resort Review and good owner info [Re: traveling4fun]
AndersonFong Offline

We just got back from Maui and want to go back summer of 2017. If anyone has a reservation they don't want for June/July 2017 we are looking for a 2 bedroom for 2 weeks. Can email me kianapup@hotmail.com
Thanks,
Gina

Edited by AndersonFong (07/31/16 10:14 AM)

#57052 - 07/14/16 10:26 PM Re: Kihei Resort Review and good owner info [Re: DavefromWA]
traveling4fun Offline

Loc: Tacoma, Wa, USA
Thanks for the info. I actually am puzzled why WM doesn't use tiles instead of carpet. Most condos and homes have tile because of the humidity and it makes for a smell and constant cleaning. We have stayed in the original WM Longbeach which was older and not updated and still loved it. My main concern is always the staff. They can really make your vacation time while in the condo by being helpful and kind.

I read on one of the posts for Hawaii that there is an app that vacationers should put in their phone. It tells where everything is and gives directions without wifi. If anyone has seen that please give a reply so we all can use the app.

I would like to know where others have liked staying in this resort or the Kona resort on the Big Island.
Also, remember that Hawaii is a hard to book resort. Don't forget to check the WM4M forum posts. This is a great place to pick up time at that type of resort. The 13 month booking window, with no continuing vacations makes it almost impossible to get all your dates right. That leaves dates available for members to share since on a 13 month window you can't decrease your days, never at the beginning. Sometimes on the end. Spread the love and work it out with another member. Take charge of some of the freedoms in booking that have been taken away.
By the way, I love my ownership. If you need some tricks to booking or help, give me a note. My computer can't do Private Messaging but you can email me at gardenercrone@outlook.com I'm not a quick responder usually, but I will get back to you. I have learned quite a bit since the bylaws were changed again.

#56329 - 10/03/15 04:46 AM Re: Kihei Resort Review [Re: Forum Host]
Cdurkee1 Offline

We stayed 4 days at the Kihei Resort. The remodeled rooms are very nice. Nice carpet, counters, and appliances. The resort is right across the street from the beach which is fun for the family. Currents and undertow can be strong at times so be prepared, but water is like a luke warm bathtub. ABC market is across the street and open fairly late and has everything you need. Safeway is a 5 min drive from resort but prices are 10-20% higher then mainland prices.
I encourage you sit in the the Expedia morning presentation of things to do on the island. They have a wealth of information for all. They go through some of the main attractions on the island, can book right there, and can apply our WM discount. Also they can suggest what activities are good for all ages. We were encouraged to do only part of the Road to Hana with our small children (7 mos and 20 mos ). They recommended we stop at Twins Fall ( 1 hour drive ) which was also excellent. We got to see a beautiful waterfall and even jumped in from the top of the waterfall.
Luau at the Hyatt Regency is very nice and affordable kids under 12 are free with each paying adult.

Hope this helps.

Anaheim, Angels Camp, Tropicana, Grand Dessert, Y Running, Mission Valley, Monterrey, Reno, Kihei

#56158 - 07/30/15 05:54 AM Re: Kihei Resort Review [Re: DavefromWA]
gwtwfool Offline

Loc: Utah
I think dirty carpet is a problem at all their resorts. My grandchildren have to throw away all their socks. I wear slippers than can be washed or thrown away. I can't imagine going barefoot ... ewww! I don't know why WM does not clean their carpets more often because I think this is a very common complaint. It is disgusting and quite embarrassing when you have guests.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

© 2005 - Wyndham Resort Development Corporation. All rights reserved.
WorldMark™ is a federally registered service mark of Wyndham Resort Development Corporation.