Who's Online
0 registered (), 34 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Stuart_F, mazeeam, DandL, arktraveler, laney
49392 Registered Users
Forum Stats
49,392 Members
128 Forums
1,410 Topics
6,802 Posts

Max Online: 402 @ 01/21/20 09:39 AM
(Views)Popular Topics
Questions and Comments for Coral Baja 20,022,170
Coral Baja Resort Review 1,149,752
Las Vegas Resort Review 850,372
Questions and Comments for Las Vegas on the Blvd 726,045
Questions and Comments for Kihei 687,624
Kihei Resort Review 612,272
Travel Tips and Directions for Coral Baja & Area 503,169
Questions and Comments for Seaside 438,512
Activities and Things To Do - Coral Baja 397,208
Kapaa Shores Resort Review 380,588
Top Posters (30 Days)
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Topic Options
#55660 - 02/24/15 07:48 AM Travel Tips & Directions for Isla Mujeres
KrisComm Offline

What travel tips or directions do you have for Isla Mujeres? Title your reply "Travel Tips - Isla Mujeres", or "Directions - Isla Mujeres" and they will be easy to separate and find.

#56864 - 05/06/16 01:05 PM Re: Travel Tips & Directions for Isla Mujeres [Re: KrisComm]
GrandBistro Offline

I agree 100% with previous posts. Although there is now clear WorldMark signage, the resort's previous name, "Villa Vera" is helpful to know.

The value of the peso is down, so the ride is now 65 pesos, which is actually less than $4 US.

We pre-booked our airport transportation (group of 4) with CARM; there was a driver waiting at the airport and again at the ferry port. The price included Roundtrip ferry tickets and a bottle of water. They can also include a stop at a store for extra cost. I am glad that we did this, as there is a swarm of people at the airport offering a variety of services, tours, rides, etc. Avoid the hassle by pre-booking. We pre-paid with PayPal. Super easy.

When we arrived at Cancun, the lines at immigration in the airport were really, really long. It took about 45 minutes to get through immigration. I don't know if that's normal there, or not, just be prepared. Keep watching the other lines - some move a lot more quickly than others; switching lines may be helpful.

If you travel often, you may want to consider getting Global Entry through US Customs & Immigration. We have it, but our traveling companions on this trip do not. We whizzed through immigration on our arrival back in the US in under one minute while they were in line for over a half an hour. Global Entry gives you TSA pre check on all flights originating in the US as well as expedited re-entry.

#56435 - 11/15/15 10:13 AM Re: Travel Tips & Directions for Isla Mujeres [Re: KrisComm]
mrfizban Offline

Loc: Portland, Oregon
csuarez has a great post below. I used most of that to get me there, and the most valuable part that I was glad I taken a screenprint onto my phone to read again (since I didn't have wifi right off the ferry and you're sort-of still getting oriented) was the part about them looking confused when you say "Worldmark Resort". I said that and everyone was asking each other what Worldmark was (or that was my best Spanish translation of what they were asking each other). I read the post quickly from my phone and saw to say "Villa Vera" and they all suddenly went "Ahhh" and nodded and we were on our way to Villa Vera. It was a bit confusing as there are no Worldmark signs, the agent at the desk even kept calling it by the parent name Wyndham, and the signs everywhere call it Puerto Isla Mujeres. I think ultimately that's what the complex is called, and it still operates as te Puerto Isla Mujeres with many of the resort units now being owned by Wyndham. So a bit confusing, but just say Villa Vera and you'll be fine.

I'd agree with the rest. I got the CARM transportation for 2 pre-paid by their website, worked like a charm. They were holding a sign for us just outside of baggage claim doors and drove us straight to the ferry docks in a pretty long 40 minute or so drive, and handed us cheap ferry tickets (included in pre-paid purchase) and cold bottled waters. Ferry took us to the island in about 20 minutes time. We then walked 50 feet up the street from the ferry and there is a line of taxis in a pull-out of the street there where taxis take people from the ferry to the "Villa Vera" resort for 60 pesos. I had pesos, so I'm guessing it's like $4-$5 if you had cash. Then you're in.

#56366 - 10/21/15 06:53 AM Re: Travel Tips & Directions for Isla Mujeres [Re: KrisComm]
csuarez Offline

Arriving in Cancun
Airport Transport - arrange your round trip van shuttle at one of the counters after you've collected your bags. This should cost you ~1100pesos/75 USD and will take you to (upon arrival) and from (upon departure) the Ultramar Ferry at Puerto Juarez. This is convenient for those traveling in parties of 2 or more. The van will drop you off right at the ferry terminal from the airport and will pick you up to take you back to the airport when it's time to catch your return flight. (When making the initial arrangements, they will explain how to coordinate the van pick-up from the ferry terminal for your return flight.)

Beware of the Salespitches - if you don't like salespitches for residence vacation ownership type "shares", beware the tourist counters at the airport that offer you tours with deals too good to be true. If you can handle the pressure and want a free tour of Chichen Itza and Cenotes, agree to schedule and attend... but be prepared to offer 2-3 hours of your time while on vacation to sit thru the pitch. I didn't mind too much, and was able to get 2 free classic tours of Chichen Itza... what could have costed 109 USD at full price.

Ultramar Ferry - no need for reservations, buy your tickets at the ferry terminal counter with ease. Round trips to Isla Mujeres cost 146 pesos/10 USD and a one-way trip costs 78 pesos/5 USD. The ferry ride takes 20 minutes from Puerto Juarez to Isla Mujeres and runs every 30 minutes. Their schedule is posted online if you'd like more details.

Arrival at Isla Mujeres - there is an abundance of cabs available and can be caught right at the ferry station. It's a long walk to Worldmark Isla Mujeres... about 1.5 miles to be exact, and it's not a smooth walk along a sidewalk in well-lit streets if you're hauling luggage. Do yourself a favor and catch a cab. It's 50 pesos/3.50 USD to mostly anywhere on the island one-way. Remember this: if you tell the cab driver you're going to Worldmark and he looks at you confused, tell him "O Villavera". The Worldmark is not known enough yet that they are more familiar with what I believe was its predecessor. You will also be driven to a gated property labeled "Isla Mujeres Yacht Club & Resort"... Worldmark hasn't branded everything yet. I was a bit perplexed until I confirmed we were in fact at the correct location.

#56248 - 09/06/15 10:19 AM Re: Travel Tips & Directions for Isla Mujeres [Re: KrisComm]
tswylie Offline

Pesos/usd - a lot of places only accept cash, no credit cards. Most are posted or noted on menus.

© 2005 - Wyndham Resort Development Corporation. All rights reserved.
WorldMark™ is a federally registered service mark of Wyndham Resort Development Corporation.