Who's Online
0 registered (), 39 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Stuart_F, mazeeam, DandL, arktraveler, laney
49392 Registered Users
Forum Stats
49,392 Members
128 Forums
1,410 Topics
6,802 Posts

Max Online: 402 @ 01/21/20 09:39 AM
(Views)Popular Topics
Questions and Comments for Coral Baja 20,022,170
Coral Baja Resort Review 1,149,752
Las Vegas Resort Review 850,372
Questions and Comments for Las Vegas on the Blvd 726,045
Questions and Comments for Kihei 687,624
Kihei Resort Review 612,272
Travel Tips and Directions for Coral Baja & Area 503,169
Questions and Comments for Seaside 438,512
Activities and Things To Do - Coral Baja 397,208
Kapaa Shores Resort Review 380,588
Top Posters (30 Days)
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Topic Options
#4410 - 03/11/04 10:23 AM WorldMark Fiji, on Denarau Island Resort Review
Forum Host
WorldMark Forum

Bula! Have you stayed at Denarau Island? Here's your change to tell other owners what it's really like. How big is the pool? How hot is the hot tub? What do you wish you had known before you left home?

#58540 - 10/24/18 07:25 PM Re: WorldMark Fiji, on Denarau Island Resort Review [Re: Forum Host]
Marmon Offline

My husband and I just got back from a 12 day stay in Fiji and it was fabulous! The resort is nice and clean and the staff is beyond helpful. We found everyone friendly and helpful, however Carl and Suma at the front desk made our stay unforgettable. They were always there when we needed them and answered numerous questions for us making our stay comfortable and easy.

Transportation around and off the island is easy. The Bula bus will drive you around the island to all the different resorts and to the marina for $8/ day regardless of what time of day you purchase the ticket (all dollars referenced are Fijian). You can also take the Westbus, which will take you into Nadi for $1.15 one way. You can buy vouchers at the front desk as the the buses do not take cash. You can also request a taxi to take you wherever you want to go. The front desk can request one for you. We used the same taxi driver, Reggie, for several trips. I highly recommend him. He was an excellet driver and tour guide.

Groceries are easy to come by as well. There is a grocery store, Fresh Choice on the island with just about everything you need. You can also get fresh fruits, vegetables, eggs and many other things at the open air market in Nadi. The prices for groceries in Nadi are better than the ones on Denarau Island. Most everything is a little more expensive on the island than Nadi. You just have to decide if you want to pay for the convenience, or experience some of the Fijian culture by shopping in Nadi. My husband and I did both. It was easier for us to find some of the basic things we needed at Fresh Choice. It was hard to find ground coffee. The rooms have French Presses which they refer to has plunger coffee. If you’re out shopping, ask for Bula plunger coffee and you should be able to find some. If you want to grocery shop in Nadi, ask the front desk which grocery store is the best. I think there is one with the name Patel that is good. We unfortunately, did not go to that one. You can also get groceries and most anything else you might need at stores at the marina. The Bula bus or Westbus will take you to the marina. I believe it may be worth packing some dry goods such as coffee, sugar, salt and some of your favorite seasonings and snacks. That’s our plan for our next visit. Just be sure to declare them on the customs form. Alcohol is more expensive than what we’re use to paying. A fifth of Vodka was about $100. There is also a store on site with things, but it’s very expensive.

Booking excursions can be done through the Rosie Holidays desk at the resort. You can also hire a taxi to take you to different places on the island. You can agree on a price ahead of time. We did both. We had Reggie take us to different sites and we booked water excursions through Rosie’s. We went to Savala Island and did a trip with Coral Cats. Both were great. Do your research on Trip Advisor when deciding what to do. You can also ask the staff at the Rosie Holidays desk. They’re knowledgeable as well.

The restaurants were good. They have the Beach Shack which is right off the beach and Mamacita, the Mexican Restaurant. You can also order food through the swim up bars. You don’t have to swim up to order drinks or food, you can walk up as well. They have an adults only pool which is where we spent most of our time as there were a lot of kids at the resort always in the pool. Not a big deal but since it was just the two of us, the quietness of the adult pool was nice.

Overall, our stay was, as I said, fabulous. We definitely plan on going back and are not deterred by the 11 hour flight from LAX. As they say in Fiji, Bula Vinaka!

#56851 - 05/04/16 02:51 AM Re: WorldMark Fiji, on Denarau Island Resort Review [Re: Forum Host]
bandita Offline

I went with a friend who had a bad injury on the zipline, so I didn't go out for the first couple of days in order to help her out. As a result, I spent a lot of time at the resort.

At the pool area, they have daily activities to keep busy all day long. I partook in the water aerobics class and told the instructor what happened to my friend. He took the time to go up to our room and wrapped my friends ankle in medicinal leaves. He assured me that she'd be walking that evening, and sure enough, she did! After a couple more days of rest, she was able to get out and enjoy the rest of our vacation. We spent the rest of our time there gathering those leaves from trees so that she could wrap a fresh set daily, which really helped. On one of the days when I went rafting, she met another staff member who invited her to her aunts home for even more treatment. Some of the locals outside said to stay away from the big resorts here because once you're checked in, they forget all about you and are rude. I don't know if they're exaggerating or if WorldMark is an exception, but everyone there is so personable and friendly.

They have the biggest pool I've ever seen. On one end is a swim-up bar, with live music sometimes playing in the evenings. The other end of the pool has a volleyball net and basketball hoop. Scenery is great too, overlooking the ocean and beautiful sunsets. There's also a restaurant. I only tried their veggie pizza, which was pretty good. They also have a good size jacuzzi.

All other WM resorts I've stayed at with a kitchen has seasonings so I didn't bring any, but wish I did. They only have salt and pepper. Most other resorts also have garlic, parsley, oregano, etc. They have a little shop near the lobby, which has very inexpensive bread. Pretty much everything else, we bought at the supermarkets out in town (fruits, veggies, water, etc). Rice, cooking oil and spices are also very cheap out in town. We brought as much non-perishable foods with us as we could, like pasta, sauce, tortillas, mayo (in a cooler with ice-packs), peanut butter, cereal and snacks. Their shop also has a popular Fijian brand of coconut lotions/oils/butter. I was surprised to find them reasonably priced. We saw some of the same items out in town renting for more.

They also have a Mexican restaurant, which we didn't try, but it always looked pretty busy.

No Internet service in the room, except for an expensive daily charge, but their lobby has 2 computers for free use.

#54949 - 07/17/14 06:07 AM Re: WorldMark Fiji, on Denarau Island Resort Review [Re: ]
Ndiolle Offline

Loc: Sacramento, CA
I just returned from a fantastic 14-day vacation in Fiji. We (4 other girlfriends) stayed from May 9th through May 22nd. We stayed in a 2-bedroom oceanfront view unit in building 4000 which had a great view of the pool area and ocean. The resort was absolutely beautiful and the grounds well maintained. When we arrived that morning at approximately 0630, we were greeted with fresh towels, pineapple and a smile. The staff was very friendly and helpful. They quickly responded to any needs with a smile on their face, request for extra hangars, etc. Special thanks to Bennie who not only unloaded our luggage but also carried our luggage (luggage for 5 women!!) to our second floor unit. Bennie would not let us carry anything up the stairs. Whenever we came back with bags of groceries Bennie was always there to help us.

Also a special thanks to Salen Rattan, Assistant Resort Manager, who made our last 6 days there just as memorable as our first 8 days. Also to Tui who made us feel so welcome at the Monday night meet & greet.

One of the vendors on site, Nemani, made a beautiful, exquisite, hand-carved walking stick for one my friends as a surprise gift for her husband. He finished the walking stick in two days. The intricate details were just amazing.

We hired a driver, Akosita (Ako) Ravouviu, the first and only female Fijian taxi driver for Denarau Island who was absolutely superb. Ako was very informative regarding the history of Fiji and very helpful in addition to driving us around.. We rode in a very nice 2008 Toyota Noah (mini van). It was very comfortable and roomy for the 5 of us. Ako’s cell number is +679 918 7668. Ako is well known and highly recommended throughout the resorts on Denarau Island.

For quick trips into town for shopping we took the “yellow bus” for FJD1.15 one way. You can also take Bula Bus a FJD8.00 daily pass or FJD24 weekly pass..

One of the tours we took was the combo tour to the Robinson Crusoe Island. You can spend the day snorkeling, exploring the island, or simply relaxing on the beach. Various activities are also scheduled and there is a water park for kayaking, jet skiing, etc. We were served a buffet lunch and a buffet dinner. The nighttime Fire Dance Show was spectacular!!!!

We also went to visit several villages which were quite interesting and informative. We had great fun at the Sabeto Hot Springs Mud Pools. We took a day trip to Suva, the capital where we visited the Fiji Museum.

#50704 - 08/23/13 01:26 PM Re: WorldMark Fiji, on Denarau Island Resort Review [Re: LizUtter]
Ndiolle Offline

Thanks for the phone number. Please post information re: your upcoming trip when you return as I would love to know what to look forward to, activites, food, etc. As mentioned in an earlier post me and 3 other girlfriends are going next May for 14 days. I have a Garden view unit and wait-listed for an Ocean View unit.

Enjoy your trip!!!!

#50691 - 08/22/13 07:19 AM Re: WorldMark Fiji, on Denarau Island Resort Review [Re: Ndiolle]
LizUtter Offline

Loc: CA, USA
Epi Vu's cell number is 996 5737

Thanks for the info on Frommer's Travel. I'll check it out.

#50670 - 08/19/13 12:53 PM Re: WorldMark Fiji, on Denarau Island Resort Review [Re: LizUtter]
Ndiolle Offline

Hello LizUtter,

I looked up info re: Fiji in Frommer's Travel - you can go online and there was information regarding the use of cell phones. Sorry, I don't remember offhand what the info was, there was a recommendation to purchase cell phones while in Fiji, like I said, I don't remember all the details. I do know, via my carrier Verizon that the cost of data use is high and you woulld want to turn your roaming off. Hope this helps. Can I get the number to your favorite cab driver Epi to add to my information re: Fiji? Thanks

#50614 - 08/14/13 08:09 AM Re: WorldMark Fiji, on Denarau Island Resort Review [Re: small town girl]
LizUtter Offline

Loc: CA, USA
Hi Samll Town Girl... or anyone else who knows the answer to my questions,

Did you get SIM cards for your cell phone(s)? There will be 5 of us going in two weeks (can't wait) and we want to be able to communicate with each other and call Epi (our favorite cab driver) when we need a ride.

This is our 4th trip to Fiji.

About the on site restuarant...The first 2 times, there was no restuarant on the property. The 3rd time it had just opened and was part of Chef's Restuarant in town. I believe it is Mexican now? How is it? The reviews I read on line were pretty good, but I live in California and probably have different standards than people who live in New Zealand and Australia.

Did you do the cave trip? or the waterfall hike? We are considering both. I'm not so sure we need a tour for the waterfall. Maybe just a ride to and from?

They used to have a chef who would come to your unit and prepare dinner. Do you know if they still do that? and if it is worth the money?

thanks,
Liz

#50470 - 07/15/13 08:30 PM Re: WorldMark Fiji, on Denarau Island Resort Review [Re: lady walker]
jcharles Offline

[b][/b]I have no idea if this will help, but I have to hit page 1 each time to get the most recent posts. Someone posted a long report on 6/27/13. Good Luck!

#50469 - 07/15/13 04:40 PM Re: WorldMark Fiji, on Denarau Island Resort Review [Re: ]
lady walker Offline

Hello! I just booked Fiji for July 2014. I do not see any recent posts about Fiji. Has anyone been lately? How was your stay?

#50376 - 06/27/13 10:14 AM Re: WorldMark Fiji, on Denarau Island Resort Review [Re: ]
small town girl Offline

My family and I just returned from our 12 day stay at the Denarau Island Resort. We decided we would already return--even after more than 18+ hours of travel time.
Upon arrival we were greeted with a refreshing moist cloth, fresh pineapple, and a friendly Bula! from anyone at the resort we met. The pool was open by our second day and the adult only pool was available until then. The beach in front of the resort was the biggest disappointment as it was not the clear blue water you see in photos of Fiji. Unfortunately it has been damaged due to the big storm last year. The water is swimmable, but we never did more than wade in while walking the beach at low tide. You could only walk at low tide as the water was usually up to the rocks that now are in place to protect the shoreline.

That being said, we enjoyed our stay there very much. Great activities each day to participate in. The staff was always friendly, helpful, and made sure you were having a pleasant experience.

We took two different day trips. The first was an all day to South Sea Island. Loved it so much we went twice during our stay. It was only a 30 min. ride out on a large boat to the island. The lunch was great. All beverages included for the day along with snorkeling gear, kayaking, and a glass bottom boat ride. My son and sister-in-law also go to do an into to diving class(extra fee). You could be as active or lazy as you wanted to be. The water here was amazing for snorkeling. Just be aware that there is a lot of coral washed up on the beaches --again due to the severe storm last year.

The second day trip was with Coral Cats to Plantation Island. While the day's weather didn't cooperate(pouring rain upon departure), the crew made our day very enjoyable and the rain was over by the time we reached our snorkeling destination. This took about 90 minutes to reach our sand bar to snorkel before going into the island for lunch. The lunch was good. We got to snorkel more after lunch too. It was a fun day but the travel time really made it feel like we had just arrived and then it was time to go again. The crew was what made it so fun!

We used the Westbus(local transportation) to go in and out of Nadi Town for shopping. We went to the market several times for fresh fruits and vegetables. The Hot Bread Kitchen has amazing bread for very good prices. We had several loaves while there. There were several grocery stores to get the other things we needed near the market. We got some meat from the butcher shop on the way to Nadi Town. It was more expensive than what we found at the grocery store (New World) right across from the market in Nadi Town. The shopping was much cheaper in Nadi than the resorts on Denarau. Be sure to visit the local crafter's market. It is on the map you can get at the front desk. Be aware you will want to barter for prices and some of the merchants were a little pushy. One of the vendors told me that there were really only a few true crafters there and many of the vendors sell more commercial items passing them off as handmade. So be sure you look through the shops before making your purchases.
The restaurant at the resort was good. We also enjoyed the poolside grill.
We also recommend you bring lots of sunscreen and bug spray. The mosquitos were not a problem until after sunset. There were some pesky flies too.
Be aware that if you snorkel, there are sea lice that can cause an itchy rash. We thought it was jellyfish, but the snorkel guide at South Sea Island called them sea lice. We got bit every time we snorkeled. On any given day, you don't know if they will or won't be in the water. Be sure to shower off after coming out of the water and bring along cortisone cream to help. You will pay much higher prices for any type of medications so bring what you think you might need.

We boiled our water as they suggested and froze it in our empty bottles from the bottled water we also drank. It worked out fine. We also just washed any of our fruits and veggies with the dish soap before preparing. We didn't have any problems there either.

We usually have a big breakfast, snack, then have a dinner while on vacation. We went out on Father's Day to have a nice meal at a restaurant around 4:30 only to find that most restaurants only serve until 3:00 then reopen for dinner at 6:00--they might still have some appetizers or lunch type offerings but not your typical dinner menu. So just plan your dinner times for later if you want a "real" meal.

We took a taxi to and from the airport. It ran about $25 per cab (4 people) and on the way to airport we got a van for $40. If you liked a driver, ask for their card. Be aware, the taxis at the airport may only be allowed to take you to the resort. Only certain taxis are allowed to serve the resorts on the island.

While in Fiji, my daughter wanted to have her senior pictures taken and we wanted some family shots too--(it was also our 20th anniversary). We asked at the Rosie Tours desk for recommendation for a local photographer. We had pictures done by Leon Lord of LA Photography- Fiji. He was amazing! He made the photo shoot fun, took great pictures, and the price was similar to what we would have paid back home. Leon has a Facebook page-LA Photography- (Fiji) and we would highly recommend that anyone who is wanting professional pictures taken while in Fiji hire him. He does weddings too. We just can't say enough about his work or him. Check out his work on Facebook if you are interested in knowing more.

Overall a great experience. It is hard to see all the things in Fiji--there are so many to see and things to do. We enjoyed having some relaxation time at the resort besides all the adventures that were available. The construction on the new areas was not a problem.

We know we will be back!

#50167 - 05/20/13 03:14 PM Re: WorldMark Fiji, on Denarau Island Resort Review [Re: ]
Desideri Offline

Loc: San Francisco CA
Has anyone been to the Fiji resort lately? What is the status of the construction project I keep hearing about?

#48584 - 08/27/12 06:16 PM Re: WorldMark Fiji, on Denarau Island Resort Review [Re: kamsmom]
tqmguru Offline

Been here for two weeks, another week to go. I ditto the previous comments. The new restaurant is still under construction; but, there is a small poolside cafe for hamburgers, etc. Going next door to the Radisson for most meals. Just up the street is a golf course that has good food, much better than the Wyndham. You can also catch the "Bula, Bula" bus to go to the Denaurau Marina, several good restaurants there. An all day bus fare is $7.00 FJD.
If you fly from LAX to Nadi on Air Pacific, you arrive at 5:30 AM, customs/immigration is quickly done. Get Fiji dollars (FJD) from the airport ATM. The 30 minute taxi to Wyndham is $25-30 FJD. If you are extremely lucky, Wyndham will have a room vacant so you can check in early, otherwise, check-in time is 4 PM. Since the construction is on-going, staff has very little space to store luggage. The best way is to make a reservation the day prior to arrival and the day after you depart. Sounds strange but, after traveling all night to get here, having to wait another 8-10 hours for your room is no fun. On your departure day, check-out is at 11AM (no exceptions or late check-outs) and the Air Pacific flight back to LAX leaves at 10PM, it is a very long time to sit in the lobby with your bags.

Since it's winter in the Southern Hemisphere, you'll meet lots of friendly Australians and New Zealanders.

For groceries, there is the WestBus (Yellow bus) to Nadi town for $1.00 FJD. Get off at the first stop after arriving in town. Be sure to pull the cord over the windows to ring the "I WANT TO GET OFF THE BUS" bell. You pay as you leave the bus. Walk down the main street for two blocks, on the left side is the MH Market. Go past the small Patel market prior to the MH. The Patel market does not have a good selection. The MH Market is much better and cheaper. If you are not adventurous, take a cab $12 FJD one way.

An excellant Chinese restaurant is in Nadi called Sentai Seafood Restaurant (ask lobby staff for directions).

Put on your happy face while you are here, you will blend in perfectly. Every Fiji person I met, staff or just walking around town will greet you with a smile and a hello (Bula, Bula)
Have a great vacation!

#48523 - 08/16/12 10:12 PM Re: WorldMark Fiji, on Denarau Island Resort Review [Re: Don123]
kamsmom Offline

Thank you for the update!
We go for our honeymoon at the end of September.
I have been wondering how the construction has been coming along.

#48215 - 07/06/12 04:42 PM Re: WorldMark Fiji, on Denarau Island Resort Review [Re: ]
Don123 Offline

We just got back from Fiji, and were there fro two weeks form June 10 to June 24.

The construction is still going on and there is some noise depending upon where you are in the resort. We were on the construction side and it wasn't too bad. We also were not in the unit that much, choosing to do things out of the resort or by the pool.

The new pool bar was going to open the day after we left , so is now open. The rest will be another year to finish although they are working seven days a week to complete the construction.

The staff is great and the tour desk is very helpful in planning things you may want to do. We enjoyed the Jet boat tour , the helicopter, and the Whales Tale cruise.

One thing that was a bit of a surprise was that as Americans we were in the minority as a lot of Austrailians and New Zealanders were there, this we considered a good thing.

The only disappointment regarding the pools was that the hot tub was at best lukewarm.

The people are friendly in Fiji and I strongly recommend it as a destination.

#48193 - 07/04/12 12:12 PM Re: WorldMark Fiji, on Denarau Island Resort Review [Re: wireangel]
kamsmom Offline

I don't really see any information about the renovations that are going on with that link. Thanks though!

#47797 - 05/15/12 05:25 PM Re: WorldMark Fiji, on Denarau Island Resort Review [Re: ]
wireangel Offline

this is the link i got from the reservation page regarding the construction:

http://www.worldmarksp.com/fiji-expansion-FAQ

#47796 - 05/15/12 05:24 PM Re: WorldMark Fiji, on Denarau Island Resort Review [Re: RobTeresa]
wireangel Offline

Rob Teresa, i got this link via our reservation confirmation page:

http://www.worldmarksp.com/fiji-expansion-FAQ

hope it help

#47749 - 05/06/12 07:20 AM Re: WorldMark Fiji, on Denarau Island Resort Review [Re: kamsmom]
bthorman Offline

Loc: San Francisco Area
I'm sorry, but where are you seeing information about the construction? WM's told me to go to the Resort Report webpage, but the only thing I find there is about Surfside.

#47745 - 05/05/12 06:40 PM Re: WorldMark Fiji, on Denarau Island Resort Review [Re: RobTeresa]
kamsmom Offline

Would love any updates on the construction and any feedback from recent visitors.
We are going for our honeymoon near the end of September.

We would also like to know what your favorite activity was.
Thanks in advance!

#47616 - 04/15/12 10:54 AM Re: WorldMark Fiji, on Denarau Island Resort Review [Re: ]
RobTeresa Offline

Loc: WA
I'm curious if anyone has been to Fiji recently. I see on the website that the resort is undergoing some renovation. We are wanting to go back soon, but were wondering how far along the construction is and when will it be completed.

#46357 - 09/10/11 04:51 PM Re: WorldMark Fiji, on Denarau Island Resort Review [Re: ]
RobTeresa Offline

Loc: WA
Our visit was in 2005 and our first experience with Worldmark.
Because of this vacation we are now owners. We have amazing memories from this vacation, including a visit to a village where the local residents live in very humble conditions.
Denarau Island Resort was not what we would consider "5 star", but considering you're in a third world country, it was heaven. Some of the fun we had was running from ice machine to bartender just trying to keep up with our consumption of cold beverages.
Go into town, visit the fish market, enjoy the people, visit the islands, snorkel...
We rode the afternoon bus from town to the resort one day. It was apparently the school bus and it was such a pleasure. The children were so polite. They answered questions and were genuinely happy little souls, (and spoke English beautifully:)

Hopefully the country is safe to travel in, I didn't check into that before posting my positive experience. Check with a travel expert with Worldmark first smile Travel is about experiencing different cultures and lands - don't get hung up in the amount of ice in the ice machine...enjoy!

#45593 - 07/05/11 02:00 PM Re: WorldMark Fiji, on Denarau Island Resort Review [Re: CMTorie]
zonux Offline

Being to Fiji numerous times and was just there last year. You really don't need a car to get around Nadi. The buses are easy to get on and get around and less than about 50 cents US. When we needed to drive to Suva or Sigatoka, we rented a car for a day or two for those trips. There are more road signs today and driving is a little easy. Tours can pick you up and drop you off at the resort as well.

#45522 - 06/27/11 02:25 PM Re: WorldMark Fiji, on Denarau Island Resort Review [Re: gdelgadillo]
CMTorie Offline

We haven't been since 2002, but at that time you absolutely did not need a car. Almost all the tours came with pick up drop off included. At that time there were VERY FEW road signs so it would have been difficult to figure out where to go (especially when going across the island)

#45420 - 06/13/11 05:15 PM Re: WorldMark Fiji, on Denarau Island Resort Review [Re: DWeston]
gdelgadillo Offline

Do you think you need to rent a car?

#45417 - 06/13/11 01:32 PM Re: WorldMark Fiji, on Denarau Island Resort Review [Re: DWeston]
ccrisp Offline

Just returned from WorldMark Fiji. Great resort, the weather was fantastic. Bring your bug spray you will need it. The people of Fiji are so awesome you do not want to leave. Restaurants at the marina were terrific, Lulu's and Nadina the Fiji food was heavenly. Take as many trips to the islands as you can, I wish we would have done more.
It truly was Paradise!!!!

#44706 - 03/20/11 11:25 PM Re: WorldMark Fiji, on Denarau Island Resort Review [Re: tatyana mosina]
DWeston Offline

Just returned from Fiji today. Time change kind of confusing. I flew out Saturday night from LAX (10 hour flight) arrived local time Monday morning 5:15 AM, so reservation should start Sunday, so you can check in when you get there. The suggestion to reserve for an extra day after you are scheduled to leave really isn't necessary as they have a hospitality suite or waiting room you can use for a few hours at the resort. Checkout is at noon, flight leaves around 10PM Sunday. It is nice, we arrived at Noon thirty on Sunday after a 10-11 hour flight.

We found Worldmark Fiji to be the best resort on Denerau Island. We took a tour and looked at the others. Room was nice. Freezer trim was loose, but they fixed it within an hour of our check in and reporting of it. Staff was very friendly and supportive. Worldmark Fiji has an awesome pool.

Bula bus now cost $7 per person. Taxi charges $5 to take you anywhere on Denerau Island. (Denerau Island is easily accessible by a 30 foot bridge from Nadi) Taxi to Nadi is $5. If you are looking to save even more the local bus (quite dirty, rusty, and graffiti marked) stops right in front of each resort and charges 85 cents per trip per person. All amounts are in Fiji dollars.

We visited Robinson Crusoe Island. We did the combo tour. It was a pleasant day. The bus ride to and fro was a bit long. 2.5 hours each way! Entertainment was good. On the jungle trek we got eaten by bugs and the trail was covered with ants. We did have an excellent boat snorkeling trip, saw a few dolphins. Fish were as exciting as along the California coast. Island pools were nice to swim in. Kayaking was free.
Coming just for the evening show would not have been worth it. It was a good show, but the drive....

Best restaurant we found for the best price was the Curry House in Nadi on the main street. We were able to find vegetarian food. A couple blocks away was the farmers market- an open air place to buy fresh fruit, vegetables, ect. The Curry House was even willing to provide a taxi ride for us from the resort to come back to eat. We did.

Jack's at the airport seemed to be the best place to buy a Tapa cloth artwork for a reasonable price.

Exchange rate was 1.75 fiji dollars for 1 US dollar. We found all the stores and travel agencies we booked activities at would convert our US dollars at that rate. No problems with that. They all seemed to get an e-mail with the current exchange rate each day.

Worldmark allowed us to charge trips from Rosie's Tours and eating at the resort to the room. We found we even got discounts by doing that. They do charge 3% for the convenience.

Time difference between CA and Fiji? I found they are 5 hours behind us since the time change. So 11:00PM in CA is 6PM there (of course it is the next day as well.) It was easy to go to bed early and get up early.

We found it real irritating to have the sales people follow us around in all the shops and everyone seems to want to know where you are from, how long are you staying, which resort are you staying at, etc. Bula (hello) is over used. Once I relaxed abit more and just assumed they were being friendly and started directing questions back at them they were very friendly and willing to share. Only a few times did I feel some of the men were looking for an easy mark.

US customs was a breeze coming back. If you get the chance use your Worlmark credits and spend a week or two in Fiji!

#44186 - 01/24/11 02:21 PM Re: WorldMark Fiji, on Denarau Island Resort Review [Re: mariposa]
tatyana mosina Offline

Loc: wa, usa
Just came back from Fiji 2 weeks ago. Myself, my 14y/o son, mom and dad stayed there 10 days. Like it, but will not go back: more to see around the world. Friendly – yes, “predatorily in their pitching of tourist goods –YES! Money easy to get from any ATM using debit card. Best rate then exchanging with locals in town. Internet used 2 times: one for free - someone got off without finishing their hour, and second time 10$/h. DO NOT purchase trips in the airport: was thinking of “saving a day” and go from there for a short trip before getting into resort: plane landed at 5:30am, check in at 4:00pm - so plenty time in between, the way I thought.. Well, that was my first encounter with “Fiji time”: couple hours later still at the airport, and have been told that tour is not operating this day. They did not return money, but instead give vouchers to use other day, which had trouble to fit in doo to most our tours were whole day long. Use the idea, just from resort Rose’s travel – works the best. Did not go fishing, but did a lot of snorkeling and caught fish by hand-accidently! Did let it go-not accidently! Corals close to island a mostly dead or not so spectacular, further to go–more to see (cost more too). Robinson Crusoe trip day + night was best. Inland went Zip-line, white water kayaking, and caves exploring by “bili-bili”- bamboo rafts. Kayaking was best of tri, zip-line was ok. Too short on both trips, would be best combine them in one day in that order if knowing that ahead of time. From the prospective of my parents the last trip was total rip off: started by taking us to a local village with kava ceremony where from ONE cup everybody drinks something which looks likes muddy water and taste the same. Some greetings by chef and bamboo rafts just to cross over river, not to travel on it, packed with as many as 20-25 tourists sink into the water, so bottoms are wet, road is not really a road, just a small path up also muddy due to rain season and every day strong shower in the afternoon. Entrance to the caves was so low that half from the tourist group could not make it in. So they stayed outside and just had to wait for “lucky ones” who got in… The caves were dark (how it is naturally should be) and the few things pointed by lanterns were ok, but nothing spectacular. Still ok for me and my son to do, but would not drag my parents along if would know how the whole thing will turn out. In Nadi supermarket was ok, but pricy on the familiar produce. Try local FMF cereal, cookies, bread –all good and cheap. Cooked a lot in, mostly something light. Milk taste good even from the shelves, but if you do not have an iron stomach, go to frige section. Rice –cheap, chips – not. Pick and choose what you want. Bula bus is now 6$ per person per day, so walked more, and that was fine too. Took Westbus to town (1.15$) and taxi back (1$). Next day same taxi round trip with him waiting on me for half hour while I picked up my handmade sari and shopped cost me 5$. Not bad.

#44135 - 01/19/11 09:23 AM Re: WorldMark Fiji, on Denarau Island Resort Review [Re: vinscarlata]
mariposa Offline

Hi, We're leaving for Fiji in February. Is there internet at the resort? Any other tips or info that you can think of that might be helpful?

#44031 - 01/09/11 04:32 PM Re: WorldMark Fiji, on Denarau Island Resort Review [Re: ]
helhur Offline

We are thinking of going to Denarau the first week of April this year, does anyone know what the weather is like then and also the best room to get an ocean view but no noise from air conditioning as other threads I have read say this is a problem, also when was the last upgrade done. We are also considering going on a 4 night cruise, has anyone done this and what is it like. Thanks.

helhur

© 2005 - Wyndham Resort Development Corporation. All rights reserved.
WorldMark™ is a federally registered service mark of Wyndham Resort Development Corporation.