Who's Online
0 registered (), 39 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Stuart_F, mazeeam, DandL, arktraveler, laney
49392 Registered Users
Forum Stats
49,392 Members
128 Forums
1,410 Topics
6,802 Posts

Max Online: 402 @ 01/21/20 09:39 AM
(Views)Popular Topics
Questions and Comments for Coral Baja 20,022,170
Coral Baja Resort Review 1,149,752
Las Vegas Resort Review 850,372
Questions and Comments for Las Vegas on the Blvd 726,045
Questions and Comments for Kihei 687,624
Kihei Resort Review 612,272
Travel Tips and Directions for Coral Baja & Area 503,169
Questions and Comments for Seaside 438,512
Activities and Things To Do - Coral Baja 397,208
Kapaa Shores Resort Review 380,588
Top Posters (30 Days)
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#11517 - 04/13/04 09:13 PM Travel Tips and Directions for La Paloma
Forum Host
WorldMark Forum

What travel tips or favorite directions do you have for La Paloma? Title your reply "Travel Tips - La Paloma", or "Directions - La Paloma and Rosarito area" and they will be easy to separate and find.

#56724 - 03/01/16 12:40 PM Re: Travel Tips and Directions for La Paloma [Re: Whitecatgolf]
Pstreet1 Offline

I will be sending you my emails as soon as I finish typing here, so expect a full in box; they aren't repeats; all of them are different.

I NEVER advise people to use the shuttle; if you don't have a car, you are limiting yourselves to "tourist alley," and you won't get the best food, best atmosphere, or best prices there. You won't be able to go to Ensenada and take a whale watching trip; you won't be able to access wine country inexpensively; you won't be able to come and go as you wish, and if you go out in the evening, you'll need to have the restaurant call you a cab--which will involve waiting, sometimes for a long time. For golf, you simply must have a car. (I'll send an email on renting a car.) You cannot rent a car in Rosarito; there are none--and none means zero.

Emails will begin coming right away.
Pat

Edited by Pstreet1 (03/02/16 09:59 AM)

#56722 - 03/01/16 11:46 AM Re: Travel Tips and Directions for La Paloma [Re: Pstreet1]
Whitecatgolf Offline

Hi Pat,
I'm going to take everyone's advice and ask you for your information on Rosarito and La Paloma. My husband and I are heading down from Vancouver, B.C. on March 12th. We are landing in San Diego at about 2:30 pm, and I am hesitant on reserving the shuttle which is around $130 pp one way to La Paloma. I would like your thoughts on this. We would like to golf while we are there so we are torn about renting a car. Those are the specific questions, but any other info would be greatly appreciated. My email is kgfran@hotmail.com

Kelly

Edited by Whitecatgolf (03/01/16 11:50 AM)

#55627 - 02/15/15 10:02 AM Re: Travel Tips and Directions for La Paloma [Re: jescat]
Pstreet1 Offline

I sent you a private message--let me know if you want emails. (Incidentlly, the weather here is spectacular: right about 80 degrees, not a cloud in the sky.)

#55622 - 02/14/15 07:05 AM Re: Travel Tips and Directions for La Paloma [Re: Pstreet1]
jescat Offline

With 4 adults and luggage will a taxi from the boarder work? Do they use a lot of mini vans? If car rental is a value then what companies have the best rates into Mexico?

#55538 - 01/24/15 03:30 PM Re: Travel Tips and Directions for La Paloma [Re: shaunatodd]
bthorman Offline

Loc: San Francisco Area
Yes, you can get around without a car, if you don't mind taxis. Downtown is a short walk away, but most of the good restaurants are a drive. There was a couple there when we were in Nov and they were fine without.

I would suggest that when you want a taxis call the front desk and request that they get one for you. And if you find a driver you like, request him.

#55536 - 01/24/15 10:43 AM Re: Travel Tips and Directions for La Paloma [Re: Forum Host]
shaunatodd Offline

is it ok to not have a car? wondering about flying in and taking a shuttle to the resort

#55496 - 01/08/15 03:50 AM Re: Travel Tips and Directions for La Paloma [Re: aldan56]
Pstreet1 Offline

All plugsin Mexico are the same as the U.S.--no adapters needed anywhere.

Edited by Pstreet1 (01/08/15 03:51 AM)

#55492 - 01/07/15 08:52 AM Re: Travel Tips and Directions for La Paloma [Re: aldan56]
bthorman Offline

Loc: San Francisco Area
No adapter needed - at least at the resort.

#55491 - 01/07/15 08:00 AM Re: Travel Tips and Directions for La Paloma [Re: Forum Host]
aldan56 Offline

Loc: Arkansas
Do we need power adapters or is the power the same as in the US?

#55368 - 11/22/14 03:21 PM Re: Travel Tips and Directions for La Paloma [Re: Pstreet1]
Pstreet1 Offline

For those of you who worry about safety in Mexico, I want to say that the American media does a great disservice to Mexico. The following post explains one of the problems: they recycle old news and run it as though it happened yesterday. This incident JUST happened--and the news article they ran was from 3 years ago. The story was posted today, November 22, 2014, 7 hours ago.

Adelle Cordero‎Expats Living in Mexico
7 hrs ·
I am a former US journalist and longtime resident of Mexico who hates the negativity and lack of objectivity about Mexico in the mainstream US news.
Day before yesterday, the Google News HOME PAGE showed a SHOCKING headline from Fox News Latino about a "Mass Slaying in Guadalajara". OMG, I thought and went in and read the story.
Upon very close inspection, I discovered this was a story from 2011 – over THREE YEARS AGO!! This story — which had no business being on that day's news home page — is the type of propaganda and news manipulation that riles people up and keeps them down on Mexico.
Mexico has its problems, as does the US, but a little objectivity and balance in the US news would be refreshing. I guess they just don't want their citizens (with their dollars) moving here.

#55004 - 07/30/14 06:02 PM Re: Travel Tips and Directions for La Paloma [Re: perry harbour]
Pstreet1 Offline

Legally, a passport or passport card is required to re-enter the U.S. from Mexico. That has been the law since 2009.

However, many, many people go to Baja with only a birth certificate (must be certified, not a photo copy), and others do go with only a driver's license.

The chances are you will simply waved through, possibly with a lecture on the law. You need to know, though, that the law states a passport or passport card is required. If the border agent chooses to make life difficult for you, he/she can. I have an acquaintance who had a friend in her car who had only a driver's license because she had forgotten her passport and left it at home. They were detained 4 hours in the office and the woman had to pay a large fine, so it can happen, but I've never known (even second hand) anyone else it happened to.

Because you are an American citizen, you cannot be denied entry to the U.S.--but they don't have to make it easy for you.

#55002 - 07/30/14 03:46 PM Re: Travel Tips and Directions for La Paloma [Re: ]
perry harbour Offline

Will a driver's licence be sufficient to go to Rosarito and back to the US?

#54931 - 07/11/14 03:45 PM Re: Travel Tips and Directions for La Paloma [Re: ]
Pstreet1 Offline

For those who do want my emails, would you please not wait until the last minute to ask. It takes me a while to send them (removing the "blue forwarding line," etc. takes about 30 minutes). I don't always have time the same day I get your request, and I feel bad when I don't get them to people who have asked for them, but when you ask Friday for a trip on Saturday, sometimes I just don't have time to do it--or I don't see the email. (It's always better to send me an email than to p.m. me on this site because I don't visit this site every day.) I love sharing information about Rosarito, so don't hesitate to ask, but do give me a little time.
Pat

#54921 - 07/10/14 06:29 AM Re: Travel Tips and Directions for La Paloma [Re: kawacym]
Pstreet1 Offline

I forgot to say that Mexican lunch hour seems to begin around 1:00-1:30, so if you're earlier, you usually beat the crowd.

#54920 - 07/10/14 06:26 AM Re: Travel Tips and Directions for La Paloma [Re: kawacym]
Pstreet1 Offline

Yes, Splash! will be in a new building. Nicholas expects it to be ready to move into around December. He doesn't own the land where the current Splash! is, and he owns the land where the new one will be. Yaqui is building a new building. He's been working on it for at least two years, but it looks like he really will be finishing up soon. We talked to him about it at least a year ago, and he is so proud.

#54919 - 07/10/14 03:54 AM Re: Travel Tips and Directions for La Paloma [Re: Pstreet1]
kawacym Offline

Hi Pat, I really made good use of the information you sent, so did my wife and sister-in-law. We all read and re-read it while at La Paloma figuring out where to go along with where to eat. Also, we really enjoyed the tacos at Yaqui (3 times) and agree it is the best. The line was real short when we got there (11 AM) but it was getting longer and longer while we ate.

By the way, is Splash in the process of building a new restaurant? Noticed a building about 200 feet past the turnout for the restaurant with a sign saying Splash. Also, is the new building being huilt behind Yaqui going to be the new Yaqui?

Once again, thank you for helping make our vacation a vacation to remember.

Jim Kawasaki

#54912 - 07/09/14 12:15 PM Re: Travel Tips and Directions for La Paloma [Re: ]
Pstreet1 Offline

I'm so glad you had a good time, and I'm especially glad you came back to the forum to report on your trip. People need to know that Rosarito is a good vacation spot, not a terror filled nightmare.

Just a note about the vendors: they're all harmless and, generally, full of smiles. Just shake your head no; it's no problem. Since we have Sentri passes, we're normally not in the general crossing lanes, but when we are--with a visitor--we always buy churros and coffee while we're in line. We sometimes buy fruit; it's always fresh and good. We take a newspaper and one of us reads aloud to the driver and others in the car. That, in addition to just noting the happenings around us, eating, and general chatter makes the time go pretty quickly.

It is true that Otay is more miles (about 10) from Rosarito, but it takes the same amount of time to drive because it is all divided highway and there is less traffic and there are fewer stop signs. The crossing is clearly marked, and it is normally MUCH faster to cross there.

#54901 - 07/07/14 12:17 PM Re: Travel Tips and Directions for La Paloma [Re: ffmedic]
kawacym Offline

Just got back from Rosarito but before going I happened to see pstreet1@aol.com post offering information about Roasarito. She sent about 20 e-mails with various information, printed them all and took them with me. What a godsend! As we entered Rosarito I spotted Wal-Mart and turned off the highway to pick up grocery supplies. Leaving Wal-Mart I drove all the way through town to La Paloma. If it were not for Pat's guidance, my wife and sister-in-law would have insisted we leave ASAP after less than a day there. We have gone to Coral Baja in San Jose del Cabo and what they saw was not quite like Cabo which has more modern buildings. Convinced them to wait a few days before making their decision and after a few days they said it was okay to stay the rest of the week.

I highly recommend anyone going to La Paloma to ask Pat to send you the info. The Rosarito area has a lot to offer but if you don't know the area you may miss seeing what it has, because you'd probably only stay close to the resort. As for the restaurants and stores, they will quote the bill in pesos along with what it is in dollars and in most cases if you pay in dollars they will give you change in dollars. Also, don't be afraid to drink the water in restaurants as by law they have to give you distilled water and not tap water.

On the way back to San Diego, Pat suggested taking the Otay/Mesa border entry as the lines are shorter with less than a half hour to cross. My wife and sister-in-law said to go to Tijuana since it is a shorter drive. Well, it took almost an hour and a half! As bad as that was, it could have been worse as I've heard it can take upwards of 2 to 3 hours. One thing they marveled at were all the vendor carts straddling the lane lines (all four lanes!) as vehicles inched along towards the border. We soon discovered that if you look at or point at a vendor they come to your car, so we just looked straight ahead.

Once again, before heading to La Paloma I highly recommend sending an e-mail to pstreet1@aol.com. Pat and her husband Terry live just south of Rosarito six to 7 months a year. I think Pat is a one person Rosarito Chamber of Commerce and Visitors and Convention bureau!!!

Thank you Pat! You saved our vacation and we all had a wonderful time.

#54848 - 06/25/14 02:11 PM Re: Travel Tips and Directions for La Paloma [Re: steeler1mws]
ffmedic Offline

Originally Posted By: steeler1mws
We just got back from Rosarito (La Paloma). One year ago when we booked Rosarito, we somehow got in touch with "pstreet". He/or she is all over this websight. He sent us about 30 pages of information.
, such as, driving in Mexico, where to eat, what to see and do, customs and courtesies and about what you need for money. We carried his info with us and glad we did. Pstreet is better than a travel book. Believe everything he says. The only thing I didn't know about was that it can take up to 3+ hours to pass thru customs when you go back to the US if you go thru Tijuanna. We decided to drive to Tecate, a 1 hour drive. It was an easy drive, a somewhat scenic drive, and it was exactly a 28 minute wait to cross the border. We crossed the border to the U S at 8:54am. We were really afraid to go to Mexico. Pstreet convinced me to drive. Almost chickened out at the last minute, but didn't. Drivnig is different, but easy in Mexico. If you drive, nobody does the speed limit except us. Be alert for people walking on the side of the road due to few sidewalks, watch for cows and be very alert for Stop (Alto) signs. People don't always stop, but they do slow down. I was very impressed at how well they took turns at the stop signs. Go enjoy Rosarito and don't forget to email ptreet and get his "Travel Bible". THANK YOU PSTREET.
Mike, Rogene & Billy

Hey buddy! The wife and I met you and your family in the pool/hot tub at Coral Baja. How was your stay in Rosarito? Sounds like the driving in mexico went well!

Mario and Melissa

#54840 - 06/24/14 06:18 PM Re: Travel Tips and Directions for La Paloma [Re: steeler1mws]
Pstreet1 Offline

You are 100% welcome. I love it when people come back and say "Don't worry; go and enjoy!" Thanks for the good testimonial. (I'm female.)

#54816 - 06/21/14 10:07 AM Re: Travel Tips and Directions for La Paloma [Re: ]
steeler1mws Offline

We just got back from Rosarito (La Paloma). One year ago when we booked Rosarito, we somehow got in touch with "pstreet". He/or she is all over this websight. He sent us about 30 pages of information.
, such as, driving in Mexico, where to eat, what to see and do, customs and courtesies and about what you need for money. We carried his info with us and glad we did. Pstreet is better than a travel book. Believe everything he says. The only thing I didn't know about was that it can take up to 3+ hours to pass thru customs when you go back to the US if you go thru Tijuanna. We decided to drive to Tecate, a 1 hour drive. It was an easy drive, a somewhat scenic drive, and it was exactly a 28 minute wait to cross the border. We crossed the border to the U S at 8:54am. We were really afraid to go to Mexico. Pstreet convinced me to drive. Almost chickened out at the last minute, but didn't. Drivnig is different, but easy in Mexico. If you drive, nobody does the speed limit except us. Be alert for people walking on the side of the road due to few sidewalks, watch for cows and be very alert for Stop (Alto) signs. People don't always stop, but they do slow down. I was very impressed at how well they took turns at the stop signs. Go enjoy Rosarito and don't forget to email ptreet and get his "Travel Bible". THANK YOU PSTREET.
Mike, Rogene & Billy

#54352 - 03/12/14 05:57 PM Re: Travel Tips and Directions for La Paloma [Re: DougandKathy]
Pstreet1 Offline

Not sure if that was directed to me or not. If so, I'll need your email address to send them to you. You can send it to me a private message.

#54346 - 03/11/14 10:08 PM Re: Travel Tips and Directions for La Paloma [Re: ]
DougandKathy Offline

Travel tips to La Paloma

#54344 - 03/11/14 06:27 PM Re: Travel Tips and Directions for La Paloma [Re: DougandKathy]
Pstreet1 Offline

I don't know about the transportation, but the best places to eat are not readily accessible without a car. We live in Rosarito 6 mts. of the year, and I can recommend a number of places to eat/things to do/etc. If you'd like me to email you the emails I already have typed up about Rosarito and the area, give me your email address in a private message, and I'll send them to you.

#54330 - 03/09/14 08:24 PM Re: Travel Tips and Directions for La Paloma [Re: ]
DougandKathy Offline

What do you know about the company 5 star transportation? We are considering using them to get from San Diego to the La Paloma resort. And we need good places to eat?!!

#50974 - 10/22/13 07:29 PM Re: Travel Tips and Directions for La Paloma [Re: otono1]
Pstreet1 Offline

I've emailed you a ton of information. Hopefully, it will be helpful.

#50970 - 10/21/13 08:08 PM Re: Travel Tips and Directions for La Paloma [Re: Pstreet1]
otono1 Offline

Could you send me information about renting cars in Tijuana? I am planning to stay at La Paloma Nov 12-12. We are planning to take the trolley from San Diego to the border and are debating a rental car or using a taxi. Thank you!

#50558 - 08/01/13 09:01 AM Re: Travel Tips and Directions for La Paloma [Re: ]
Pstreet1 Offline

I found a great site that really puts the perspective where it belongs on the safety of traveling to Mexico. Along the left-hand side are things to click on which bring up great graffics. This is guaranteed to calm any fears you have.

http://howsafeismexico.com/index.html

Edited by Pstreet1 (08/01/13 09:05 AM)

#50523 - 07/25/13 02:02 PM Re: Travel Tips and Directions for La Paloma [Re: ]
Pstreet1 Offline

From the San Diego Reader, "Baja Is Back." Read the article and feel good about visiting Tijuana/Rosarito/Ensenada--and La Paloma. http://www.sandiegoreader.com/news/2013/jul/24/cover-baja-back/

#50366 - 06/26/13 07:06 AM Re: Travel Tips and Directions for La Paloma [Re: Tricia]
Pstreet1 Offline

Send me your email address, and I'll send you the emails I already have typed up for visitors to the area, including car rental and insurance information. If you give me your email address in a private message, I'll get the emails right back to you with restaurant suggestions, tourist activities, etc.
Pat

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© 2005 - Wyndham Resort Development Corporation. All rights reserved.
WorldMark™ is a federally registered service mark of Wyndham Resort Development Corporation.