Who's Online
0 registered (), 34 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Stuart_F, mazeeam, DandL, arktraveler, laney
49392 Registered Users
Forum Stats
49,392 Members
128 Forums
1,410 Topics
6,802 Posts

Max Online: 402 @ 01/21/20 09:39 AM
(Views)Popular Topics
Questions and Comments for Coral Baja 20,022,170
Coral Baja Resort Review 1,149,752
Las Vegas Resort Review 850,372
Questions and Comments for Las Vegas on the Blvd 726,045
Questions and Comments for Kihei 687,624
Kihei Resort Review 612,272
Travel Tips and Directions for Coral Baja & Area 503,169
Questions and Comments for Seaside 438,512
Activities and Things To Do - Coral Baja 397,208
Kapaa Shores Resort Review 380,588
Top Posters (30 Days)
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Topic Options
#13766 - 01/19/05 09:15 AM New Orleans - Resort Review and Journal
Forum Host
WorldMark Forum

Have you stayed at WorldMark New Orleans Park Avenue? Here's your chance to tell other WorldMark owners what it's really like. How big is the pool? What do you wish you'd know before you left home?

What made your stay memorable? What made it fun? Was this a road trip? If so, where did you start, what route did you take and what did you see along the way?

#58026 - 11/25/17 07:59 AM Re: New Orleans - Resort Review and Journal [Re: Forum Host]
Katyd Offline

Loc: Vancouver,BC,Canada
We just came back Nov 18-24, 2017. We had an incredible time there. The resort is in a beautiful area away from the noise of downtown.

Shopping- There is a Walgreens just a few min walk away for the little things you need, or there is a Walmart that is walkable at the end of Josephine St.maybe take the Uber or Lyft back if you have a lot of groceries.

Transportaion- Download the uber or lyft app before you go and the cost is cheaper than a taxi from the airport, it cost us $38 one way, the taxi would be around $50. When you come out of the baggage claim, you pass the taxi stand, cross both streets and go through the doors where on the glass it says Transportation Station and you'll see the sign for the uber and lyft. It only took about 5-10 mins before our ride was there. Our driver said there is about 8,000 drivers in N.O. alone so it takes no time at all to get your ride! No money exchanged, all done on your credit card. There is the trolley at the front door of the resort, cost is 1.25 one way, and you should have exact change. $3 for a 24hr pass. It will take you right to the French Quarter. One day we also walked from the resort to the quarter and it took only about half hour, the blocks are small so you get to your destination quite quickly. The sidewalks are not maintained so very uneven in some places, older folks please watch your step.

Suite- We had 3 people in the 1 bedroom and we were very comfortable. The suite has no oven but a 2 burner stove, fridge, pots and pans, hairdryer like all other resorts, even a blender! smile. There is a DVD player in the suite or there is even an option to hook up your ipad ect if you have downloaded movies. I found the staff to be extremely helpful and always smiling. The front desk can get you discounts to just about anywhere you want, so ask before you go, we saved SO MUCH!! There is a pool and hot tub, but not hot enough for my liking! smile If I HAD to complain about anything it would be that the suite doors SLAM shut, so when guests are coming and going at odd hours, it got irritating enough that I had to "politely" remind them to hold it so it closes nicely as I was staying on the hidabed and it woke me up every time. There is also a gym and a nice patio on the first floor overlooking the street. The 12th floor has a deck that overlooks everything. There is Lafayette cemetery just a few blocks away and worth the look, it's free, closes at 230pm. My guest and I chose to attend the 90 min presentation (it was not pushed on us) only to get more discounts. She understood it was a sales pitch, but what I didn't like is that the associate seemed pissed off when my guest said no to buying into it. Worldmark can't take into consideration that Canadians have to pay way more with the exchange.

French Quarter- All walkable, we walked a lot! There is a map at the resort and just take it with you, but I got my bearings in the first day, very easy to navigate. There are a lot of homeless everywhere, but we never felt threatened, we just told them we don't carry cash and they were on their way. Bourbon st, part of it was under construction but still a walking party, you can walk around with drinks which were fairly expensive. Cafe Du Monde is the place to get beignets (ben-yays) which are a fried doughnut, the place is always busy. A lot of touristy shops, restaurants, funky shops, it has it all. The buildings are amazing everywhere you go and music is everywhere, keep some dollar bills handy for tipping them.

We did the Natchez Steamboat tour, but I wouldn't recommend it to anyone. The food was terrible and the Mississippi is a working river, so it's all industrial and nothing to see. We took the lunch tour and I don't eat seafood so I ended up with cold macaroni and cheese and salad. Maybe the dinner menu is better, but then it's dark and you can't see anything anyway. We were really bored. We did a swamp tour, there are many, and we really enjoyed it.They picked you up from the hotel. We also did the War Museum and that is a must do, be prepared to spend the better part of the day there and also see the Tom Hanks movie, well worth it all, apparently it's the best in the world. Walkable from the resort as well.

Overall, I would stay here again in a heartbeat. The other Wyndham resorts are in the French Quarter but I couldn't imagine the noise you'd hear in those. This resort was perfect!

#57949 - 09/30/17 05:47 AM Re: New Orleans - Resort Review and Journal [Re: Forum Host]
Spdcast Offline

Good morning. My wife and did Nola last year and had a great time. This time we are traveling with another 40 something pair and are wanting to make this a good cocktail and gastronomy based experience. Really would love some seasoned input of best oysters, sazerac, jazz band and Bloody Mary follow up the next day locations ones can tell us about. We are there in mid October this year. Cheers and thank you.

#57719 - 05/25/17 11:27 AM Re: New Orleans - Resort Review and Journal [Re: Forum Host]
beverlyp9 Offline

Loc: Washington
I stayed four nights at the Avenue Plaza in May 2017 and found the location to be perfect. It is right on the edge of the garden district, in between the district and the French Quarter and is located on the Mardi Gras parade route. Lots of nearby restaurants within walking distance. There is a "quick-stop" type market down the block and a fresh market a couple of trolley stops away. The trolley (street car) stop is just a few feet from the front door. I also took the Hop on-hop off tour which has a pick-up location about a block away and will get you down to the French Quarter if you don't have a car. I had a studio which was like a very large hotel room. The kitchen area was quite adequate with all the necessary appliances. The bathroom was small but functional. The pool was tiny - no lap swimming. It would be miserable for an adult not used to active children to share it with playing, rambunctious children. The roof-top sitting area has a nice view and was perfect for that morning cup of coffee or tea, but a bit too warm for evenings. The sign at registration said check-out is 10 a.m., but the check out time on the key card packet says noon and I stayed until noon and had no problem. The doormen were exceptional.

[Bend - Seventh Mountain Resort; Depoe Bay; Gleneden; Kihei; Lake Tahoe; Las Vegas Blvd; Leavenworth; Long Beach; San Diego - Mission Valley; San Francisco; Schooner Landing; Seaside; Seattle – The Camlin; Spencer Street; Victoria; Wyndham Grand Desert; Wyndham’s Kingsgate; Wyndham Kona Hawaiian Resort]

#57312 - 11/14/16 05:14 PM Re: New Orleans - Resort Review and Journal [Re: Forum Host]
KASH Offline

Loc: GATEWAY CITY
I found it to be that the WM units at most locations (incl this one have noon check out times)

#57296 - 11/02/16 05:48 PM Re: New Orleans - Resort Review and Journal [Re: Forum Host]
Sunydee Offline

I just spent a week at Avenue Plaza Resort. It is a beautiful resort and a great location. Sadly I found the staff not very friendly or helpful. The majority of guests I spoke with were not Worldmark owners, but a variety of VRBO renters etc. Perhaps this has an impact on staff. The other huge negative to me is check out time is 10:00 a.m.! FR earlier that other resorts I've visited. My request for a late check out fell on deaf ears.

#57253 - 10/12/16 11:10 AM Re: New Orleans - Resort Review and Journal [Re: Forum Host]
HR Morris Offline

Just spent a week in New Orleans at the Avenue Plaza ( 1 Oct to 8 Oct). We were on the 12th floor which had been refurbished. The furniture was great, air conditioning functioned great, it was a very nice stay. The staff was very helpful and alway courteous. The St Charles Trolley passes right in front of the place and all you have to do is walk across the street to catch it. We bought the $3.00 daily passes, it is better to buy individual days because if you buy multiple day passes they have be used three consecutive days. The passes are good for 24 hours. We ate at the Irish House on St Charles Street. The food is great at a reasonable price. We took a tour of the Oak Alley Plantation which takes about an hour to get too. The trip was worth it. The plantation was beautiful. We also made it to Cafe Du Monde, French Market, Bourbon Street and took the trolley to Loyola University. Make sure you go to the World War II museum, it is a wonderful experience. Also see the movie "Beyond All Boundaries" which is narrated by Tom Hanks. There also a little eatery called the Avenue Cafe which only about a block and half from Avenue Plaza.. Is a place to have breakfast or lunch. The Trolley Stop Restaurant is right before the Avenue Cafe and has a big selection of foods and is open 24/7. If you get tours through the hotel they are discounted and if you can put up with the questionnaire they want to subject you to they give you a discount card which came in handy.

#56809 - 04/12/16 03:11 PM Re: New Orleans - Resort Review and Journal [Re: Forum Host]
cjneil1 Offline

We stayed in Avenue Plaza for a week March 20-27, 2016. We really LOVED our unit and the location. We used the street cars daily. We had a one bedroom unit and it was very large and comfortable. Everyone at the front desk was lovely and welcoming each time we came "home". The visit to the room for the "discount package" was a waste of time and so were the coupons. I always vow to sit through another one of these and someone convinces me and I am always angry at myself after. Learn from ME, just say NO.

Otherwise, we loved the roof top deck. The weather was too cool for the pool, but it's a lovely location. we walked to dinner at Commander's Palace, ate breakfast daily at the Trolley Stop a block away, drove out to the plantations (The Whitney is a MUST stop), and in general had a lovely time. Go there, you won't be sorry!

#56760 - 03/15/16 04:36 PM Re: New Orleans - Resort Review and Journal [Re: Forum Host]
Soldierwife Offline

My daughter and I are going on a road trip this summer from Florida to Utah. One of our stops is in New Orleans. We will arrive later evening, spend one day, and depart the next. What are some suggestions re: things to do for a day and an evening?

#56143 - 07/20/15 07:59 PM New Orleans - Resort Review and Journal [Re: Forum Host]
jjjjake Offline

Stayed for an overnight. the rooms were not really small. The shower is thou but will do. The front desk is very helpful. The person who check us in was LELAND and very professional. This place is close to French Quarter and highly recommend that you spend more days not just overnight. Rooms were near and everything is there. Good place to stay.

#56123 - 07/14/15 12:08 PM Re: New Orleans - Resort Review and Journal [Re: Forum Host]
shay Offline

Loc: Idaho
We just got back from a seven day stay at Avenue Plaza. We stayed in one of the one bedroom units. Very nice and the mini kitchen was just right for doing breakfast which is all we cared about on this trip.
The pool is about the right size for the resort and very nicely appointed. The spa was at a good temperature for relaxing.
We did not get to spend a lot of time at the resort because we were attending a convention at the Hilton Riverside. We used the taxis more than the trolley system because we were normally on a tight schedule. The cost of the cabs was considerably less than it would have been to stay at the convention hotel and very convenient. The trolley was not working in front of the resort due to street repairs or some such. I believe we would have used cabs at about the same rate if it had been working due to time constraints. We did take the trolley a couple of times when we weren't in a hurry.

I do have a word for the thrifty shopper. The front desk and/or the concierge will send you to Fresh Market, Walgreens, or the so called Supermarket on the corner. The Fresh Market is too expensive for my wallet and a week of breakfast; however, there is a Walmart straight down Josephine. You can walk and take a cab back with your groceries. Or walk both ways or take a cab both ways. It really isn't that far maybe 10 - 12 blocks.

The wi-fi was flaky at best. It didn't matter if it was on a laptop, phone or a Nook. It just didn't work consistently. I was better off using my 4g, but my laptop doesn't have that.

WorldMark resorts visited: McCall, Arrowpoint, Seaside, Oceanside, Lake of the Ozarks, Running Y, Lake Chelan, Eagle Crest, Surfside Inn, Las Vegas (all three), Reno, St. George, San Francisco, Rancho Vistoso, Pine Top, West Yellowstone, Bear Lake, Depoe Bay, Wolf Creek, Longbeach, San Diego – Mission Valley, New Orleans – Avenue Plaza

#55981 - 06/08/15 01:36 PM Re: New Orleans - Resort Review and Journal [Re: Forum Host]
Golf2Live Offline

Loc: Yelm, Washington
Recently returned from our 7night stay 5-16-1 to5-23-15. This is a great resort. You are welcomed first by the parking attendants, they somehow remember who you are........so friendly and extremely helpful. Check in was also easy, and quick. No high pressure sales. Elevators can be slow at time, but, hey, on vacation! Learn to use steps to go down one floor first, and then you are on the elevator. Trolley's, right out front, very handy for transportation around the Big Easy. We had a studio, which was small. The shower was really small! But really nicely appointed with updates. I wish instead of a small table, and dining chairs, there were two chairs a bit more comfortable for sitting and reading. Otherwise you are on the bed all the time.....icky!! The air conditioning vents right on that little table and chairs, so you have to dash to the bed. Other than that, great place, we loved it!!!

#54704 - 05/30/14 08:22 AM Re: New Orleans - Resort Review and Journal [Re: ]
da5stringking Offline

My husband and I (from Southern Utah) have just completed our 5 night stay at the Avenue Plaza in NOLA and are awaiting check out. We came here on a celebritory "siblings" retreat and were able to help my siblings get rooms at the Plaza who are not owners. I could not be more happy with the respect that my brothers and my sister-in-law were treated. They were impressed with the resort and how everyone treated them.

For one, the sales approaches were very low-key--almost non-existant. My husband and I do disconnect our phone when we check in, just to not be bothered with sales pitches. But even in the lobby, they never came. It was a very relaxing stay in the "Big Easy". The rooms were perfect for 1-2 people. We decided before hand to leave our kids at home (happy we did).

The resort was undergoing some repairs/reconstruction and there was some noise when you went outside. THe street cars were also undergoing repairs and the stop by the Plaza wasn't available for pick up. We were able to walk a few blocks to the nearest street car stop in order to get on. Not a big deal for us. We purchased the 3$ all day RTA passes which not only worked on the street cars, but the busses along St. Charles. That helped with the street car situation. There were streetcars that took us to most everywhere that we wanted to go.

The resort was clean and had a nice feeling to it. The pool was nice, but kind of small and the hot tub was very hot and relaxing.

We did take the tour of the Ahsley House (claimed as one of the most haunted houses in New Orleans). It was a nice thing to do, since it was free and on the property. The furnishings alone were worth seeing.

The resort itself was great, the doormen receive a very enthusiastic two thumbs up from us. But here is a warning: Las Vegas has NOTHING on this place as far as pan-handling is concerned. Be prepared for very intrusive pan-handlers as soon as you set foot out the front door. The property managers do their best to shoo them away from the side of the resort, but they still manage to find you. It gets worse as you go along the different tourist streets.

#50387 - 06/30/13 08:43 AM Re: New Orleans - Resort Review and Journal [Re: ]
Jack and Jo Offline

Loc: Washington
Look for the Avenue Plaza Resort sign on the building when trying to locate the resort and not a WorldMark sign. It’s really a quaint resort with hidden qualities. The studio rooms that we stayed in are large in size. Both my husband and I and a couple we brought with us felt comfortable in our separate studios for what little time we spent in them. Plan your room meals to be cooked on the stovetop or in a microwave if you eat in. The bathrooms are small and they only have showers in the studio units. They do fulfill the need for what they are used for though. Washer and dryers are located on the second floor and not in the rooms. Our room was located on the garden side of the resort and we did not hear much street noise unless the bathroom window was open. The garden, pool and hot tub area were very relaxing and felt like a separate world from the street side of the resort. There is an outdoor deck to sit on located over the front door of the resort on the street side. From here you can watch the street and neighborhood action. The sky deck view is worth seeing both during the day and after dark. We drove a rental car and parked it in the valet parking area for $11.20 a day. We felt this was too much beforehand but after arriving and using the valet parking it was well worth not having to worry about the car being parked on the street. During a slow season it might be worth the time to find a parking spot elsewhere. We were at the resort during the Mardi Gras and it was worth the wait to have someone else get the car. Expect a five to ten minute wait or call the valet slightly before you want to use your vehicle. Sometimes they are busy. Some days we used the streetcar and did not take our car out of the parking area. The streetcar is very handy to use and the streetcar map is very user friendly. During Mardi Gras the streetcar was shut down for a few days in front of the resort due to this street being the parade route. We walked down to Bourbon Street and back, after dark, about a two mile trek each way. The streets were mostly lit and we felt safe in our group of four. As someone else suggested wear walking shoes as the streets are uneven and are below sea level so often there is standing water and/or soggy ground if it rains. We would love to return to NOLA as there was much we didn't see or do and we would stay at this resort again.

#50155 - 05/16/13 06:50 PM Re: New Orleans - Resort Review and Journal [Re: ]
1kodiak Offline

Loc: puyallup wash.
We stayed at the Avenue plaza twice in the last two weeks. The staff was very helpful, everyone would say Hi or good morning or what ever when ever they saw you. They made you feel at home almost. The rooms were ready early! Very clean and nice! We will go back another time some time!

#49928 - 03/28/13 06:26 AM Re: New Orleans - Resort Review and Journal [Re: ]
tqmguru Offline

Agree with other Posts on location and restaurants. This is a combined Wyndham Vacation Resort (WVR) and a WorldMark resort. There is a constant pressure to buy into WVR, finally had to disconnect phone to prevent sales calls. Very high pressure. Rooms were OK, but not up to WorldMark standards. We have discovered there are very few shared resorts that meet the stand alone WorldMark resort standards. We try to avoid them, if posible. No DVD's and very poor wireless reception (no ethernet connections)

#47836 - 05/19/12 04:30 PM Re: New Orleans - Resort Review and Journal [Re: ]
MMWIII Offline

Loc: Olympia, Wa
This was our second visit to Avenue Plaza. The remodel is not quite done but I can say that the changes to our one bedroom unit were a great improvement. New appliances, new bathroom fixtures and new furniture. Except for the lack of a closet in the bedroom the unit was great. We were on the 10th floor and had a pleasant view. As others have noted, this is not a standard Worldmark unit or resort. Units are smaller and lack some Worldmark amenities.

The location is great. Walking distance to the Garden District and right on the St Charles Trolley Line.

The only problem we had was with the valet parking. There were only two people running the parking and they were also serving as bellboys. The parking lot is not particularly close and the wait to to get someone's attention and to get your car can be long. A bigger problem was they did not keep vehicles out of the valet dropping off location and we were forced to circle the block and or stay in the car while my wife tried to locate a valet.

#46988 - 01/10/12 03:10 PM Re: New Orleans - Resort Review and Journal [Re: ]
TrishTide Offline

Just returned from 3 days at Avenue Plaza. I can't say enough about the staff. They were all awesome, going out of their way to assist us with all our needs. The one bedrooms were spacious for NO standards. We had an awesome time, and the BCS National Championship came out in our favor. Roll Tide!

#45242 - 05/24/11 02:44 AM Re: New Orleans - Resort Review and Journal [Re: ]
KASH Offline

Loc: GATEWAY CITY
I have been to N O several times at different times of the year and always had a GOOD Time... this was my first time staying at this resort and I loved it. The studio suite was sufficient for the purposes. I did not utilize the pool area or the excercise room. The location is the key & roof was wonderful. The staff was very hospitable.

#44817 - 03/30/11 10:37 AM Re: New Orleans - Resort Review and Journal [Re: ]
1426pooka Offline

My husband and I went to this resort for the first time in Sept. to stay for a wedding and it was good and bad so I guess you would call it so-so! I loved that it was close to my favorite dineries: Trolley Stop & Cheesecake Bistro. We loved these places since our first visist to the N.O. in 2002. We went to a bar down the street and it was cool for a drink. Bathroom was small but the shower was absoultely wonderful along with the gym and the on site massage! Some of the things we didn't like was that as CSTUCKY said the bed was not good but not as bad as (Colorado)others. We have noticed the trend with the smaller units the beds are smaller and definitely don't sleep as well! It was just me and my husband so the space was fine. As an owners I would like to see worldmark invest in better beds for sure!!!! If you don't have good sleep then you can't enjoy the great atomosphere you all give to the resorts. Food for thought.

#44636 - 03/13/11 09:55 AM Re: New Orleans - Resort Review and Journal [Re: ]
oldcoach Offline

All- We enjoyed two different visits to the Avenue Plaza recently, before and after a cruise that departed out of New Orleans (NCL). The resort is very convenient (via the trolley) into downtown and the French Quarter areas. Takes about 20 minutes. Strangely, the trolleys going "in", were appx 10 mins apart, but the for trolleys going "back" we were waiting an hour or more. Hmmm. And we werent't heading back "late"-- all appx 7-730PM. Strange- but great for the taxi biz. Many people got tired of the wait, and flagged down a cab. My guess would be appx $12-14 back to WM Avenue Plaza-- (it's about 1.9 miles). The resort is very nice! The common areas, the "front" balcony, the rooftop (don't miss going up there!), the exersize room, the lobby area, and the wonderful courtyard area, are all great. The staff-- without a single exception-- was as nice, helpful, and pleasant as any we've ever seen at ANY worldmark resort (we've got 80+ stays at nearly 30 different resorts). Can't say enough about the food/ fun/ drink over in the Quarter, (this isn't the thread for that)..... BUT--- since you can easily walk-to these places from the resort, I'll throw in a recommendation (as others have), for the Cheesecake Bistro, the Trolley Stop (go hungry--- leave stuffed, at BOTH of these), the St. Charles Tavern (great FOOD place that serves drinks, go on STEAK NIGHT!), and Igor's, (for drinks)--- three doors down from the resort. This resort--- WM New Orleans Avenue Plaza-- is this......wonderful staff, great (and convenient) location, and VERY nice amenities. All we could ask for. Check it out!!! the Ol' Coach.

#44431 - 02/18/11 08:56 AM Re: New Orleans - Resort Review and Journal [Re: ]
razzles Offline

JUST RETURNED FROM A DELIGHTFUL TRIP TO NEW ORLEANS-----

WE HAD THREE STUDIO UNITS ON THE 7TH FLOOR THAT MUST HAVE JUST BEEN RENOVATED---NOT A SCRATCH ON ANYTHING---TWO QUEEN SIZED BEDS IN EACH ROOM---LOVELY COURTYARD--POOL--SPA-EXERCISE ROOM----BALCONY FOR PARADE WATCHING--MY GRANDDAUGHTER WAS IN A MARATHON AND RAN RIGHT PAST THE RESORT--

WE ATE AT COURT OF TWO SISTERS, WENT TO THE MUSEUM OF FLOATS
TOOK THE CITY TOUR AND BAYOU TOUR, ENJOYED A JAZZ CLUB AND DIDNT BREAK THE BUDGET---EVERYONE WANTS TO GO BACK---

#44258 - 01/31/11 12:05 PM Re: New Orleans - Resort Review and Journal [Re: ]
lilbully Offline

Loc: Los Angeles, CA
Went to New Orleans for the first time on 01/14-17/2011 and stayed at the Avenue Plaza resort. Prior to arriving, I requested for a room on one of the newly remodeled floors. We stayed in a studio which can accommodate up to 4 people. The room was a nice size, with 2 queen beds, a small round table, closet, changing area and kitchenette. The kitchenettte was supplied with a refrigerator/freezer, cabinets, sink, dishwasher, stovetop, pots, pans, utensils and coffee maker. We really didn't use it much as we tried the local cuisine throughout our stay. The bathroom was also nicely remodeled with a walk-in shower. I thought the changing area was a waste of space. Removing the wall that separated the area from the rest of the room would add space and allow for a much needed dresser. Overall, the facilities were clean and the staff was extremely polite and helpful. I would definitely stay here again!

© 2005 - Wyndham Resort Development Corporation. All rights reserved.
WorldMark™ is a federally registered service mark of Wyndham Resort Development Corporation.