Who's Online
0 registered (), 33 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Stuart_F, mazeeam, DandL, arktraveler, laney
49392 Registered Users
Forum Stats
49,392 Members
128 Forums
1,410 Topics
6,802 Posts

Max Online: 402 @ 01/21/20 09:39 AM
(Views)Popular Topics
Questions and Comments for Coral Baja 20,022,170
Coral Baja Resort Review 1,149,752
Las Vegas Resort Review 850,372
Questions and Comments for Las Vegas on the Blvd 726,045
Questions and Comments for Kihei 687,624
Kihei Resort Review 612,272
Travel Tips and Directions for Coral Baja & Area 503,169
Questions and Comments for Seaside 438,512
Activities and Things To Do - Coral Baja 397,208
Kapaa Shores Resort Review 380,588
Top Posters (30 Days)
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Page 10 of 21 < 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 20 21 >
Topic Options
#9977 - 04/13/04 09:03 PM Questions and Comments for Coral Baja
Forum Host
WorldMark Forum

Have questions regarding this resort? Want to give someone kudos for the great story they shared in their Vacation Journal or for their awesome photo album? Do it here. Title your reply "Questions - Coral Baja," "Kudos: Journal - Coral Baja," or "Kudos: Photos - Coral Baja." This will make it easy to search this thread to find the questions and answers or respective kudos. Be sure to gibe us the username for your thank you.

Best Regards,

Vacation Forum Admin

Edited by Administrator (10/03/14 11:21 AM)

#50898 - 10/02/13 05:09 AM Re: Questions and Comments for Coral Baja [Re: Camano]
bthorman Offline

Loc: San Francisco Area
According to the Resort Gallery they're located in Phase/Bldg 1.

#50897 - 10/01/13 07:54 PM Re: Questions and Comments for Coral Baja [Re: ]
Camano Offline

Loc: NW WA State
Does anyone know where the 2 BR-King bed rooms are located?

#50894 - 09/30/13 01:36 AM Re: Questions and Comments for Coral Baja [Re: ]
nutmeg2000 Offline

I was in Cabo from Sept 11-18. It's been 4 years since my last trip and boy, there are a lot of changes! I was sad to see the free wifi in the lobby is gone, which was my main way to skype home with my smart phone. Mamma Mia's has free wifi, but it's weak. I think the password is "restaurant" , maybe Restaurant. Supposedly the pool bar has free wifi too, but I never saw a signal for that. The computer room is laid out better though, with the 5 computers against the walls instead of on one big round table.

Every other time I've come has been December or January, and it sure is hot and humid in September, but the A/C works pretty well (if you have water pooling/dripping in your non-master bathroom, check with maintenance, they came out and did something in the ceiling to the A/C and the dripping went away). We actually called on 3 maintenance issues and they responded very quickly, so I was pleased with that. They also had blenders in the rooms, which I couldn't remember and was also pleased to see.

The Walmart is new and huge, but I still prefer Mega, who came through for me with $8 fins for snorkeling (brought my own mask and snorkel). Walmart only had complete sets for $64. As others have mentioned, bring your own sunscreen as it is pretty expensive here. Mega was also slightly cheaper for tequila.

This was also my first time renting a car for the entire week and it was nice to have, especially since we did a lot of activities, snorkeling every day at Chileno, Pelican Beach, and Santa Maria, and scuba diving in Cabo Pulmo...very nice. I followed the advice of fellow tripadvisors and used Antonio, amiranda@cactuscar.com, and got a week in a VW Golf for $180 US, and he upgraded me to a Jetta. It included 80,000 USD liability insurance and I was able to use my American Express premier insurance coverage ($17.95 per rental) to cover LDW. He was touted as a "no hassles, know the total amount up front" rental agency, which was true. This was nice, since the rental car agencies apparently sometimes refuse to rent to you once you get there, unless you buy various amounts of liability insurance and Loss/Damage insurance. Sadly, Christmas week it is much more expensive to rent, so it looks like I'll have to go back to lugging gallons of water home from Mega on foot next trip.

Otherwise, the rooms were in great shape as usual. I remembered to keep all opened food in the microwave or fridge so we had no ant problems. The TV's are new since 2009 and have hdmi input. They also have a nice ipod speaker docking station. Oh, and the Baja Brewery had decent food and very good beer...it's half off during happy hour 4-6pm, which made the beer cheaper than the bottled waters, which were $2 each.

#50771 - 09/05/13 09:14 AM Re: Questions and Comments for Coral Baja [Re: ]
DennisG Offline

Loc: Olympia, WA
Hello everyone!

Just returned from a 10 day stay in Cabo - had a great time! We stayed in rooms 606, 605 (2BR Penthouse) and 520 (3BR Penthouse). We've stayed on the 3BR before, but not the 2BR. We LOVED the upper deck and hot tub in the 2BR, and for the record - the best room from my standpoint is 605. The stairs to the deck are inside, the outside balcony is perfect and the room layout is spot on!

We cooked most of our own food, but did head into town and went to Baan Thai. It's located right next to our favorite lunch spot if we are in San Jose, Baja Brewery (you get a free beer with their lunch pizza) yumm.

The food at Baan Thai was very good.

Once I update my trip document I will add more about this trip.

-Dennis

#50733 - 08/29/13 08:40 AM Re: Questions and Comments for Coral Baja [Re: ]
Pstreet1 Offline

If you'd like an extensive list of restaurants/things to do/etc., go to Tripadvisor.com Across the top, you'll see a line of clickable links. Click on "MORE." Then on the pull-down menu "Travel Forums." There is a Baja California forum that includes everything, and there is a separate Cabo San Lucas forum (also included in the Baja forum), and a separate San Jose del Cabo (also included in the Baja forum). The peoople who answer questions and post lists of restaurants, etc. either live there full time or travel to Cabo many times a year.

Trapper John has posted one of the best restaurant lists you'll find anywhere; people answer questions about various tours; people look for others to fill out their fishing trips; people answer questions about everything possible to ask questions about concerning the Cabo area. Tripadvisor.com is the way to gain a local's knowledge (as well as tourists who have been only once or never been and are seeking information).

#50732 - 08/29/13 07:52 AM Re: Questions and Comments for Coral Baja [Re: Mexicodiver27]
mtorres Offline

Hi Scott,

Thanks for the info. I will look up Dennis G's posts to get the information. I was wondering about swimming at the beach.

I am not an owner, my aunt is and I will be travelling with her (my travel buddy). smile

I have stayed at other timeshares in Cancun (many years ago) and had a great experience, so I'm hoping this one will be the same.

Michelle

#50731 - 08/28/13 01:18 PM Re: Exchange Peso's at the resort [Re: Mexicodiver27]
Pstreet1 Offline

Currently, the official rate is one U.S. dollar = 13.33 pesos.

The resort isn't going to give you anything like that rate; obviously, they use a rate more like 1 dollar for 12 pesos; that's a huge markup. All you have to do to get a good rate is go to a bank ATM (and there are many) and elect to get pesos rather than dollars. You'll get the bank's rate plus some sort of small charge from your bank for using a foreign ATM--probably $3.00-$5.00. As long as you are getting several hundred dollars worth of pesos, the fee is practically nothing.

#50730 - 08/28/13 07:37 AM Re: Exchange Peso's at the resort [Re: stalberger]
Mexicodiver27 Offline

Loc: Suburb of Denver
As of last March we could exchange US dollars for Mex Peso at the resort. You need your id and your room resort id card. There is a form you need to fill out. The rate was fare and easy no fees. We did it a few times as it made it easier to purchase fuel for our rental car etc and little better rate for buying beers at off the wall restaurants etc.

I will bring US$ next month and convert some to Mx Peso again next month and use the hotel for it.

Scott

#50729 - 08/28/13 07:26 AM Re: Questions and Comments for Coral Baja [Re: mtorres]
Mexicodiver27 Offline

MTORRES,

Hey there I am glad you are visiting Cabo. My wife and I have been coming for years both in WorldMark and before we were owners. Curious, are you a WM owners?

Anyway, scroll back to Feb and to last year, read Dennis G's posts, he has a great report on many things he and his wife have experienced and he will even email it to you. We have visited nearly everything they did except i rent a car drive myself.

Coral Baja: If you are WM you know our resorts are condos. Most have the bare bones of amenities. Our club is not chocked full of 5 star resorts catering stuff as if they were 5 star hotels. We are condo owners. Coral Baja does has a few resort like entertainments/amenities on the grounds and they try hard but far from mega complexes that you may have stayed in prior. I prefer to prepare most of our meals in our kitchen home away from home.

San Jose Del Cabo is one of my favorite Mexico destinations expect for Cozumel which is my favorite but we don't have a WM there.

San Jose has a nice but delicate night life. There are local activities in Centro area of town (the square), but these are not like the parties we have in the US or Mexico tourist towns. There are great restaurants, art galleries and gift shops. Most stores close down early. After a night or two Melanie and I get bored except on Día de Muertos (day of the dead) nights near Halloween they go all out....

Above is why i rent a car for a week. I am one who dislikes waiting on buses and taxis. I like getting and going when i like to go. I prefer making my own way and exploring. We have traveled many areas of Cabo and taken a few tours as well.

If you snorkel bring your own gear as there are many places away for our resort that have exceptional areas, but equipment is rather sub par or not available and expensive for an hour or two.

You asked about Cabo San Lucas. We don't spend much time there anymore as we are aging now and party life isn't as much of a draw the way it was in our 30's. I have fond memories of fun nights with my wife and friends at cabo wabo and other places in town but its been years now. Shopping is nearly the same there as San Jose but there are larger areas stores after stores of gift shops with the repetitive stuff for sale. My wife prefers the beach vendors as the wares they sell are fun to haggle over and strictly impulse buying for her and she knows she isn't buying quality silver at either location anyway and counts it as costume jewelry.

Coral Baja has vendors in at night with a nice assortment of wares with a non pushy attendants where you can shop easily around the grounds.

I am a water sports guy and I like the ocean. Swimming at CB is not recommended and is posted with Red flags. Sometimes i do swim there anyway but the undertow can be quite strong. There are great beaches a short drive away. If you SCUBA email me and we can discuss.

There are a lot of great past posts with much information about dining and grocery options and car rental, take the time to read them they are helpful.

Perhaps we will meet since we will be there the same week next month.

scott

#50723 - 08/27/13 01:09 PM Re: Questions and Comments for Coral Baja [Re: ]
mtorres Offline

Hello, I will be visiting Sept. 20th-27th. This will be my first trip to Cabo, I'm really looking to relax and just enjoy my time away from work etc. any suggestions. What is Cabo or San Jose like? Thanks cool

#50721 - 08/27/13 10:25 AM Re: Questions and Comments for Coral Baja [Re: jaymac]
bthorman Offline

Loc: San Francisco Area
Yes, we didn't bring any adapters and were able to plug in and use our camera, phone and laptop.

#50720 - 08/27/13 09:28 AM Re: Questions and Comments for Coral Baja [Re: ]
jaymac Offline

can the resort accomodate 110 electrical items?

#50712 - 08/25/13 12:46 PM Exchange Peso's at the resort [Re: ]
stalberger Offline

Loc: Walla Walla, WA
Can you still exchange dollars for pesos at the resort. Usually
we just bring a bunch of $5 bills but the people we are traveling
with want to exchange some cash.

#50697 - 08/22/13 03:10 PM Re: Car Rental [Re: DennisG]
Pstreet1 Offline

Unfortunately, no, I don't know of a way to link on this forum except to say "another poster said...etc."; it's an awkward format; the search doesn't really work to narrow down the choices much.

#50696 - 08/22/13 12:21 PM Re: Car Rental [Re: Pstreet1]
DennisG Offline

Pat, I was simply trying to help them, I am sorry if you are offended.

I thought you're recap of the car rental process was great and as I have kept these good bits of information, I try to play it forward. Do you know if a good way to link the posting?

#50695 - 08/22/13 09:35 AM Re: Car Rental [Re: DennisG]
Pstreet1 Offline

I'd rather not see my posts copied and reposted.

Originally Posted By: DennisG
There is a ton of information on renting a car, I have used Alamo with no issues. Note: once you pay for the rental,the person that shows you to your car is a time share shark! they will offer to pay for your car rental ($200-$400) if you go to a presentation. It's your call, but know this: they will suck up an entire day of your vacation and you will leave feeling used and dirty.

Rent from the U.S. before you go. You'll get better rates, and you'll be certain to have a car when you get there. If you read the posts on Tripadvisor.com about renting, you'll find they recommend Cactus rental (and ask for the Trip Advisor discount) and Dominic (considerably more expensive). This link has the links for both companies: http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g150773-i83-k4800538-Car_rental-Los_Cabos_Baja_California.html
We've rented from Avis and were pleased, but they don't get the rave reviews from Trip Advisor that Cactus and Dominic do.

Things you need to know about the rental experience:

1. Mexico requires MEXICAN 3rd party liability insurance on any vehicle that is on the road. That doesn't cover the vehicle itself; it covers damage you do to others or their property. You can't drive off the lot without having it. It costs about $10.00 a day (maybe a little more, maybe a little less depending on the rental car company).You will need to insure the vehicle itself.
a. You can, of course, buy insurance from the rental car company.
b. You can let the insurance that comes with your credit card cover the vehicle insurance- no additional cost to you if you do this.
c. You can purchase American Express premium coverage if you have an American Express card (their regular insurance covers the car, too--just like Visa and Mastercard and doesn't cost any extra). The advantage to the premium insurance is that it is about
$25.00 (exact amount depends on the state in which you live) and it covers the entire
rental period up to 75 days or 90 days....I can't remember which.
d. No matter whether it is Visa/Mastercard/American Express, their insurance is primary
in Mexico, so your own insurance is not involved.
e. Advantages/Disadvantages of using rental car company insurance/credit card insurance
the rental car company insurance will, of course, cost more--but it is local and they deal
with any problems. The credit card insurance is free and they will deal with the company--but there will be paper work for you to have to be a part of.

Driving in Mexico:
2. The number one thing to know is that left turns (even if there appears to be a left turn
lane) are not the norm in Mexico. Mexican drivers are really not expecting a car to be
turning left. If there is a "feeder" road beside the highway, you are expected to get on
it before your intersection comes up and then actually drive across the highway from that
position. Even if there is a left turn lane, be really, really cautious--check the rear
view mirror, and if it appears the car bearing down on you from the rear isn't going to
slow down or change lanes, drive on and come back. Our friends who live full time in
Cabo tell us that's the number one cause of accidents/injuries in Cabo to tourists.
3. Stop signs are not always located at the same height as they are in the U.S., so scan more
widely (vertically) than usual.
4. Speed limit is in kilometers. Locals will speed past you, apparently paying no attention
to the speed limit. If you want to avoid all attention from the police, actually abide by
the speed limit; let them pick up someone who is actually speeding--there are plenty to
choose from.
[/size][/font]

#50681 - 08/21/13 08:08 AM Re: Questions and Comments for Coral Baja [Re: brianpetty10]
DennisG Offline

I am sure you can find it at the MEGA, or at Walmart without having to go into Cabo. The other place to stop is on your way to the MEGA, just before McDonalds, on the right is a wine shop; I am sure they can tell you of a place to pick it up. That said, consider purchasing it at Duty Free before you leave.

#50678 - 08/20/13 07:33 PM Re: Questions and Comments for Coral Baja [Re: ]
brianpetty10 Offline

Loc: Seattle, WA.
Does anyone know where to buy Black Velvet? Does Mega carry it? Costco? Thanks for the help...

#50676 - 08/20/13 08:00 AM Re: Car Rental [Re: fishmister]
DennisG Offline

There is a ton of information on renting a car, I have used Alamo with no issues. Note: once you pay for the rental,the person that shows you to your car is a time share shark! they will offer to pay for your car rental ($200-$400) if you go to a presentation. It's your call, but know this: they will suck up an entire day of your vacation and you will leave feeling used and dirty.

Rent from the U.S. before you go. You'll get better rates, and you'll be certain to have a car when you get there. If you read the posts on Tripadvisor.com about renting, you'll find they recommend Cactus rental (and ask for the Trip Advisor discount) and Dominic (considerably more expensive). This link has the links for both companies: http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g150773-i83-k4800538-Car_rental-Los_Cabos_Baja_California.html
We've rented from Avis and were pleased, but they don't get the rave reviews from Trip Advisor that Cactus and Dominic do.

Things you need to know about the rental experience:

1. Mexico requires MEXICAN 3rd party liability insurance on any vehicle that is on the road. That doesn't cover the vehicle itself; it covers damage you do to others or their property. You can't drive off the lot without having it. It costs about $10.00 a day (maybe a little more, maybe a little less depending on the rental car company).You will need to insure the vehicle itself.
a. You can, of course, buy insurance from the rental car company.
b. You can let the insurance that comes with your credit card cover the vehicle insurance- no additional cost to you if you do this.
c. You can purchase American Express premium coverage if you have an American Express card (their regular insurance covers the car, too--just like Visa and Mastercard and doesn't cost any extra). The advantage to the premium insurance is that it is about
$25.00 (exact amount depends on the state in which you live) and it covers the entire
rental period up to 75 days or 90 days....I can't remember which.
d. No matter whether it is Visa/Mastercard/American Express, their insurance is primary
in Mexico, so your own insurance is not involved.
e. Advantages/Disadvantages of using rental car company insurance/credit card insurance
the rental car company insurance will, of course, cost more--but it is local and they deal
with any problems. The credit card insurance is free and they will deal with the company--but there will be paper work for you to have to be a part of.

Driving in Mexico:
2. The number one thing to know is that left turns (even if there appears to be a left turn
lane) are not the norm in Mexico. Mexican drivers are really not expecting a car to be
turning left. If there is a "feeder" road beside the highway, you are expected to get on
it before your intersection comes up and then actually drive across the highway from that
position. Even if there is a left turn lane, be really, really cautious--check the rear
view mirror, and if it appears the car bearing down on you from the rear isn't going to
slow down or change lanes, drive on and come back. Our friends who live full time in
Cabo tell us that's the number one cause of accidents/injuries in Cabo to tourists.
3. Stop signs are not always located at the same height as they are in the U.S., so scan more
widely (vertically) than usual.
4. Speed limit is in kilometers. Locals will speed past you, apparently paying no attention
to the speed limit. If you want to avoid all attention from the police, actually abide by
the speed limit; let them pick up someone who is actually speeding--there are plenty to
choose from.
[/size][/font]

#50671 - 08/19/13 02:41 PM Car Rental [Re: ]
fishmister Offline

I have heard the fun stories of renting a car while in Mexico they qoute you a good price to later find out there is a mandatory insurance you have to take.

Anyone recommend the best car rental place at the airport?

Edited by fishmister (08/19/13 02:41 PM)

#50648 - 08/16/13 06:09 AM Re: Questions and Comments for Coral Baja [Re: ]
DennisG Offline

Countdown!
One week away from heading down to San Jose, we are really looking forward to our trip...

We have a 2BR Penthouse for the majority of the time, with the exception of two days where we are moving to a 3BR Penthouse. I was hoping to secure the 2BR for the entire trip so we don't need to move, but it is what it is. I booked this using Exotic Bonus Time at a great price. We will be celebrating our 25th wedding anniversary during this time as well as a birthday; it should be a great time.

We're going to check into renting paddle boards this trip, so I'll let everyone know how that works out.

Cheers,

Dennis

#50637 - 08/14/13 05:56 PM Re: Questions and Comments for Coral Baja [Re: JoAnnVega]
DennisG Offline

Not sure about your question, are you looking for updated info? See my note below.

Dennis

#50598 - 08/11/13 11:48 AM Re: Questions and Comments for Coral Baja [Re: ]
JoAnnVega Offline

Any current information on this resort? If so I am having trouble accessing it.

#50585 - 08/08/13 08:41 AM Re: Questions and Comments for Coral Baja [Re: mikeandjan]
Mexicodiver27 Offline

Mike when we were there in March the rooms had internet through an ehternet connection. We didnt try that connection as we had wifi only units (smart phone and ipad). The wifi signal was not strong enough to reach our room in building three. In fact it only worked in front of the activities desk. Daily we would go to the desk to log on and we see others doing the same.

#50584 - 08/08/13 08:38 AM Re: Heading to CB at the end of Aug [Re: DennisG]
Mexicodiver27 Offline

Dennis I took your suggestions last March and they were very helpful. Thanks! We will be down again this mid september. Let us know if anything new comes up while you are there in August!...

#50582 - 08/08/13 03:50 AM Heading to CB at the end of Aug [Re: ]
DennisG Offline

Hello everyone!

My wife and I are heading back to CB the last week of Aug for 8-10 days, really looking forward to the down-time. We usually go twice a year; once in Feb and then in Oct, but we're changing our fall trip this year.

I have a travel document that I update each time we go that covers everything from travel tips, food, walking and adventures. If anyone would like a copy, shoot me an email at grantdennis@gmail.com. It's updated as of February '13.

Cheers,

Dennis

#50581 - 08/08/13 03:30 AM Re: Activities Director [Re: RK&MK]
DennisG Offline

I could not agree more with your comments. Victor was the best! I would rather have no activities than someone that is just running through the motions. We go to CB twice a year and love to just relax and unwind.

Dennis

#50559 - 08/01/13 09:10 AM Re: Questions and Comments for Coral Baja [Re: ]
Pstreet1 Offline

I just found a great site on the safety of visiting Mexico. I think if you are concerned about going, this site is important for you to look at. On the left hand side is a series of comparisons you can look at: compared to U.S. cities, compared to international destinations, etc. You get a great graffic each time. It's a pretty impressive site.

http://howsafeismexico.com/index.html

#50543 - 07/29/13 08:29 AM Re: Questions and Comments for Coral Baja - Car Rental [Re: LizNickels]
ffmedic Offline

Originally Posted By: LizNickels
Hello...

Planning a trip there in a few weeks. I'm wondering is there any advantage to renting a car at the resort vs the airport?

Thanks,

Liz

I don't really see the need to waste money on a vehicle when you can catch the bus to San Lucas for 27 pesos or 2.50 usd 5 bucks round trip per person. The bus drops you off in the heart of San Lucas. If you plan on going to San Jose del Cabo you can catch a taxi for 70 pesos or 6.00 usd 12 bucks round trip. If you are paying for activities they always provide shuttle service. If you are going to the mega or Walmart it's 10 pesos by bus 20 round trip and 70 pesos by taxi one way. Save your money for others things, the people here are nice and very helpful. If you do rent a car make sure you keep 100-200 pesos to pay the policia off if you get pulled over. It's pretty standard operation there. My 2 cents. Enjoy!

#50539 - 07/28/13 05:59 PM Re: Questions and Comments for Coral Baja - Car Rental [Re: LizNickels]
Pstreet1 Offline

http://forums.trendwest.com/ubb-threads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=3971

That's about all I know about renting a car in Mexico.

Page 10 of 21 < 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 20 21 >

© 2005 - Wyndham Resort Development Corporation. All rights reserved.
WorldMark™ is a federally registered service mark of Wyndham Resort Development Corporation.