Who's Online
0 registered (), 34 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Stuart_F, mazeeam, DandL, arktraveler, laney
49392 Registered Users
Forum Stats
49,392 Members
128 Forums
1,410 Topics
6,802 Posts

Max Online: 402 @ 01/21/20 09:39 AM
(Views)Popular Topics
Questions and Comments for Coral Baja 20,022,170
Coral Baja Resort Review 1,149,752
Las Vegas Resort Review 850,372
Questions and Comments for Las Vegas on the Blvd 726,045
Questions and Comments for Kihei 687,624
Kihei Resort Review 612,272
Travel Tips and Directions for Coral Baja & Area 503,169
Questions and Comments for Seaside 438,512
Activities and Things To Do - Coral Baja 397,208
Kapaa Shores Resort Review 380,588
Top Posters (30 Days)
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Topic Options
#9454 - 04/13/04 07:51 PM Travel Tips and Directions for St. George
Forum Host
WorldMark Forum

What travel tips or favorite directions do you have for St. George? Title your reply "Travel Tips - St. George", or "Directions - St. George" and they will be easy to separate to find.

#46521 - 10/06/11 01:06 PM Re: Travel Tips and Directions for St. George [Re: nana fran]
DandJHansen Offline

Loc: Ogden, Utah
Today 10/5/11 we are having snow in the mountains and rain in the valleys. As of right now the roads are too warm for the snow to stick, even in the mountain passes. The snow has been just a lite dusting so far but the storm is supposed to last until Friday so we may see more. I still think you will be fine driving from St George to Wolf Creek, however it appears that we may have an earlier winter then normal. I just talked to our Huntsville Maintenance station foreman and he said that the roads near Wolf Creek are only wet until you get up to the ski resort(6 miles away) where some of the blowing snow is skiffing. I think the skiers are getting excited.

#46515 - 10/04/11 03:29 PM Re: Travel Tips and Directions for St. George [Re: DandJHansen]
nana fran Offline

Loc: Pacific Northwest
Thanks so much! I see we have snow on Mt. Hood out in Oregon. How are the mountains by you in Utah? Roads clear?

#46505 - 10/03/11 12:44 PM Re: Travel Tips and Directions for St. George [Re: nana fran]
DandJHansen Offline

The highway is fine. You will travel on I15 north all the way to Ogden. I will inform you of some construction work but none of the projects should create long delays. The worst stretch will be in Utah County(Provo/Orem area). That whole 35 mile stretch of freeway is under construction but they have at least 2 lanes open in each direction at all times. Any construction delays should be less then 10 min. A few other minor projects are ongoing but none will divert you from your route to Ogden. The exit you want in Ogden is 344, turn right(east)on SR 39 and head into the mountain pass. You will stay on that road until you reach Pineview Dam. You will then turn left onto SR 158 which will take you to the resort. The roads should all be clear and there is no construction on the roads after you leave the freeway. For more information you can see highway conditions on http://commuterlink.utah.gov/ Plan about 6 hours for the ride.

#46493 - 10/01/11 11:17 AM Re: Travel Tips and Directions for St. George [Re: DandJHansen]
nana fran Offline

Originally Posted By: DandJHansen
I like the route that Oldcoach suggested. Your original question was about snow travel, and for those roads in Utah, you should still be fine. If your coming in early Oct, the trees may still have their fall colors, by late Oct, the leaves will have dropped. He suggested that you stay at WM Midway, if it is full you can also stay at WM Wolf Creek. It has a lot more rooms. It is about 1.5 hours north of SLC where as Midway is about 1 hour east of SLC.

The only thing I might add to Coachs route is that I15 from St George to Provo is only ok for scenery. If you want a more scenic route and have a couple more hours to drive follow highway 89. The route I would suggest is go north from St George on I-15 to exit 40. View the Kolob part of Zion NP. Then drive north to Ceder City and take SR14 up the canyon to Ceder Breaks NM. Exit on the north end and follow SR 143 to the east to Panguitch where it joins HW-89. Travel north to I70 then east to Exit 48. North on 89 to Thistle and down Spanish Fork Canyon. It conects to I15 then go North to Provo and take SR189 like Choach sugested up Provo Canyon to Heber/Midway. The direct route I-15 to Midway is about 286 miles but this route is 340 miles. Some of the things you will see include the LDS Manti Temple, Ceder Breaks NM, Spanish Fork Canyon, Big Rock, Candy Mountain, Panguitch Lake and others.

If you need a map of Utah, I work for the Department of Transportation and could send one to you and keep you updated on road conditions. Just PM your address to me.

Looks like we will be going from St. George to Wolf Creek. We will probably need a direct way due to time available (not yet retired frown How is the highway going there?

#46336 - 09/07/11 07:43 PM Re: Travel Tips and Directions for St. George [Re: DandJHansen]
oldcoach Offline

D&J--- Your suggested routes sound AWESOME!!!! Had we known those routes, and also had the extra time, we would have tried that way. We will next time! Your info passing skills are greatly appreciated----- hope others are reading!...... the Coach.

#46328 - 09/06/11 04:17 PM Re: Travel Tips and Directions for St. George [Re: nana fran]
DandJHansen Offline

You said you had 4 days to travel from St George to Pendelton right? My suggestion for stays is spend day 1 travel to Midway (take Scenic route) stay that night. Day 2 visit Park City then SLC. Leave SLC about 5:30 pm and travel to Wolf Creek via I15, that should be late enough to avoid the evening rush hour along I15. Before you go up the canyon to Wolf Creek stop in Ogden on the east bench at Weber State Univ. Watch the sunset over the Great Salt Lake. Get something to eat and drive up to Wolf Creek. Day 3 Drive to VI Sun Valley, if you can get a room or somewhere in Boise following Coach's drive plan. Sun Valley is about 5 hours from Wolf Creek, and Pendelton is about 6.5 hours from Sun Valley. If you can't get Sun Valley you could go to McCall ID(7.5 hours from WC). Day 4 drive to Pendelton.

If you have more time to do stuff in Ogden, see my suggestions of things to do on the Wolf Creek Page.

#46327 - 09/06/11 03:53 PM Re: Travel Tips and Directions for St. George [Re: nana fran]
DandJHansen Offline

I like the route that Oldcoach suggested. Your original question was about snow travel, and for those roads in Utah, you should still be fine. If your coming in early Oct, the trees may still have their fall colors, by late Oct, the leaves will have dropped. He suggested that you stay at WM Midway, if it is full you can also stay at WM Wolf Creek. It has a lot more rooms. It is about 1.5 hours north of SLC where as Midway is about 1 hour east of SLC.

The only thing I might add to Coachs route is that I15 from St George to Provo is only ok for scenery. If you want a more scenic route and have a couple more hours to drive follow highway 89. The route I would suggest is go north from St George on I-15 to exit 40. View the Kolob part of Zion NP. Then drive north to Ceder City and take SR14 up the canyon to Ceder Breaks NM. Exit on the north end and follow SR 143 to the east to Panguitch where it joins HW-89. Travel north to I70 then east to Exit 48. North on 89 to Thistle and down Spanish Fork Canyon. It conects to I15 then go North to Provo and take SR189 like Choach sugested up Provo Canyon to Heber/Midway. The direct route I-15 to Midway is about 286 miles but this route is 340 miles. Some of the things you will see include the LDS Manti Temple, Ceder Breaks NM, Spanish Fork Canyon, Big Rock, Candy Mountain, Panguitch Lake and others.

If you need a map of Utah, I work for the Department of Transportation and could send one to you and keep you updated on road conditions. Just PM your address to me.

#46324 - 09/06/11 08:48 AM Re: Travel Tips and Directions for St. George [Re: nana fran]
oldcoach Offline

Oh, almost forgot, JUST past (& within view of) the turnoff at Stanley (onto Hwy 21), there is a small place on the right, right on the Salmon river, that sells and rents outdoor gear. They ALSO have deliciuous, hard ice cream (inc. huckleberry!). We took our treats out onto a really nice, outdoor deck RIGHT ON the river. The setting is beautiful.......... Now back to the original reply........ I forgot to mention that IF you take the "side trip" up from Provo, Hwy 189, toward Heber City/ Midway/ Park City, etc, check out (Robert Redford's) Sundance resort area. It's about halfway "up", and maybe 3 miles off that hwy-- to the left. Fun, interesting, rustic, and very nice. Food, shops, history, etc. Also, MAKE SURE to take the short trip (maybe 3 miles), up to Park City (elevation 10,200+ feet!!). Last thing (I promise!). Have a camera at all times. That's all I got for now. Have a great trip!...........the Coach

#46304 - 09/03/11 08:17 PM Re: Travel Tips and Directions for St. George [Re: oldcoach]
nana fran Offline

Thanks so much! Looks like it will be a beautiful trip!

#46295 - 09/02/11 09:32 PM Re: Travel Tips and Directions for St. George [Re: nana fran]
oldcoach Offline

Fran-- Turning off the freeway near Twin Falls, ID, the drive North, up to & thru Hailey, Ketchum, Sun Valley, and on up to the Sawtooths and the Salmon River area is BEE-UUU-TEE-FULLL. Idaho Hwy 21 then turns off near Stanley, heading SW back down toward Boise. That section of the "side trip" (infamous Hwy 21), is NOT very far in miles (maybe 90 miles +/-), but it is VERY winding, high (in places), and scenic. THAT portion alone will take you about 3 hours. It's just one of those curvy, high, beautiful, but slow highways. Look at your maps or Mapquest it out. We stopped in Hailey for lunch, asked a local dude how long it'll take to take that "loop" up, around, and back down to Boise, he said appx 5 hrs!!! (we chuckled because it's only about 140 miles)....... He was right on! Hope this helps- the Coach.

#46281 - 09/01/11 02:28 PM Re: Travel Tips and Directions for St. George [Re: oldcoach]
nana fran Offline

We are new to this part of the world, I am wondering why you said "the infamous but beautiful Hwy 21 (from Stanley to Boise)-- " Sorry, but I am clueless!

#46280 - 09/01/11 07:56 AM Re: Travel Tips and Directions for St. George [Re: nana fran]
oldcoach Offline

Fran-- We just made a very similar trip. We loved Zion Natl Park, Worldmark/Midway-Heber City-Park City area, the Church of Latter Day Saints complex in SLC-- (all in Utah), plus the HUGE waterfalls in Twin Falls, then on to Hailey, Ketchum, Stanley, and the infamous but beautiful Hwy 21 (from Stanley to Boise)-- (all in Idaho), LaGrande (definitely EAT at the Chinese restaurant in downtown LaGrande!) and Pendleton-- (in Oregon), and Walla Walla-- in Washington. The drive you'll take is beautiful. Make some stops-- take your time. The Coach.

#46274 - 08/31/11 11:20 AM Re: Travel Tips and Directions for St. George [Re: 2good2btrue]
nana fran Offline

Originally Posted By: 2good2btrue
You might hit some snow over the Blue Mountains (Pendleton to Baker City) on I84. Watch the road reports. Generally they have it plowed by mid morning if there is any.

We were going to travel from St. George to Portland in two days and decided that we have not seen that part of the country and we should make that trip in four days. What route should we take and what stops should we make along the way. Are there any WM places that would not take us too far off our route? We wanted to visit Salt Lake City and other interesting spots along the way with a stay in Pendleton, Oregon on our last day before driving to Portland, Oregon.

#45726 - 07/16/11 07:14 PM Re: Travel Tips and Directions for St. George [Re: 2good2btrue]
nana fran Offline

Thanks! We won't be carrying chains and coming from New Hampshire, we really don't look forward to the snow.

#45699 - 07/14/11 10:01 AM Re: Travel Tips and Directions for St. George [Re: DandJHansen]
2good2btrue Offline

Loc: Idaho
You might hit some snow over the Blue Mountains (Pendleton to Baker City) on I84. Watch the road reports. Generally they have it plowed by mid morning if there is any.

#45694 - 07/14/11 07:39 AM Re: Travel Tips and Directions for St. George [Re: nana fran]
DandJHansen Offline

You should be fine. Most years Utah does not get snow that sticks to the roads until mid to late Nov. Most years the ski resorts have to make snow in order to be open by Thanksgiving. We get more snow from Dec thru Feb. Come and enjoy the sun in St George.

#45690 - 07/13/11 05:09 PM Re: Travel Tips and Directions for St. George [Re: ]
nana fran Offline

I am planning a trip in October from St. George to Portland, Oregon using Interstate 15 to Rt. 84 in Oregon. Anyone know weather conditions in late October using that route? Will we hit (hopefully, not!) snow???? Thanks

© 2005 - Wyndham Resort Development Corporation. All rights reserved.
WorldMark™ is a federally registered service mark of Wyndham Resort Development Corporation.