St. George Resort Review

Posted by: Forum Host

St. George Resort Review - 03/09/04 07:28 PM

Have you stayed at St. George? Here's your chance to tell other owners what it's really like. How big is the pool? How hot is the hot tub? What do you wish you had known before you left home?
Posted by: Shappie35

Re: St. George Resort Review - 05/30/11 08:28 AM

My family and I traveled to St George for just 1 night (5/21/2011) to visit family. We knew from other reviews that the property could be difficult to find so we made sure to check in during daylight hours - and it definitely was hard to find but we did manage. Even arriving right at check in time, the process was quite simple and fairly quick. We did have to go to a second desk to obtain our parking pass. I hate that dreaded desk where you get the "attend a presentation" pitch. But since I told them we were only staying 1 day we didn't get the hard sell.

We stayed in a 1st floor, 2 bedroom unit with a wonderful view of the pool and with great access. The pool area consisted of 1 large pool with a waterfall, a small tot pool, a jacuzzi and plenty of lounge chairs. I was quite surprised that the pool was heated since it was already mid-May but it was a pleasant surprise and we all loved it!

The inside of the unit was very clean and had new furnishings. In fact, the living room couch and chair were so new that they honestly weren't very comfortable although did look great. The kitchen had all the comforts of home and included 2 dishwasher soaps and extra garbage bags. (I only mention this because this is not always the case at other properties and can be quite inconvenient). There were great flat panel tv's in both the living room and master, but no tv in the guest bedroom (bummer). The bathrooms were both similar with tub/shower combos. Only bar soap was provided so make sure you bring or buy all the comforts from home.

Since we were only in town 1 day we did not seek out a grocery store or do any site-seeing. I'm not aware that there's anything to do in town but do plan on taking the 45 minute drive to Zion when we go back in August.

Overall, we really loved this property and will definitely be back!

If you'd like to see a few pics of the unit...please follow my link https://picasaweb.google.com/11783157093...feat=directlink
Posted by: hmortenson78

Re: St. George Resort Review - 06/11/11 12:50 AM

We booked a 3 bedroom presidential unit for one night in April for my daughter and a few of her friends to celebrate her 16th birthday. They all loved the pool and the private hot tub on the balcony. The unit was beautifully decorated and extremely comfortable. We live in St. George, so we had never stayed there before, but the resort was beautiful.
Posted by: fraly

Re: St. George Resort Review - 07/16/11 10:46 PM

Well, Utah is the second driest state...and it is usually very hot and dry. Arizona gets the moonsoons, not southern Utah. I live in SLC and often go to the Shakesphere Festival in Cedar City, staying in the condos in St. George. I have never noticed much rain.
Posted by: MnTLee

Re: St. George Resort Review - 08/15/11 09:48 PM

Our family just returned from a trip that started on Sunday, August 7th to Friday, August 12th to the Worldmark in St George. We arrived about 6 hours earlier than our reservation so we decided to do some window shopping while we were waiting, but after 2 hours we were tired and hot. We headed to Worldmark to see what was the earliest we could check-in, to our surprise they told us we could go relax in our room within minutes of us walking up to the front desk, we were elated. The activities coordinator set us up with some coupons for food & activities during our stay and invited us to come anytime during our stay for any more suggestions of things to do and see, she was extremely helpful. We headed over to our room and were delighted that we were on the 3rd floor with the most awesome views of St George and the areas around the Worldmark. We wish we knew how to post some of our pictures to this forum, but we are brand new and are not quite sure how to do it. We stayed in a 2 bedroom with a murphy bed, jetted hot tub, vaulted ceilings with ceiling fans, barbeque and a deck. Every night outside from our deck we would get to see a half dozen or so bunnies nibbling on the grass, several of the our family members tried to get pictures of them from the deck and 3 of us went down on the ground to sneak up on them and take there pictures(our neighbors were probably puzzled to see people sneaking around in the dark with cameras). There are 2 swimming pools(one of them had a waterfall), 2 hottubs and 2 kiddie pools. The gameroom and arcade ended up costing money so we skipped playing there. We did use the coupons to buy one get one free miniature 18 hole golf at the Fiesta Fun Center which was alot of fun. They have bumper boats, go karts, batting cages, kid soft play & a arcade. We went on the Historic St George Downtown Walking Tour and saw alot of interesting things and oldtime buildings, fun walk around town. There is a Laser Mania Family Fun Center in town with laser tag,indoor miniature golf,arcade,bumper cars and a 4D Movie Ride, we went inside an checked it out, but didn't end up having time to go back and try it out. They have 6 movie theatres in town 4 regular priced and 2 discount priced. If you like to gamble Mesquite, Nevada is only about 30 minutes away. We also hiked up to the Dixie rock, beautiful,fun and scary(big drop off). All in all we had a wonderful time and having a comfortable place to relax after all our many activities was a plus. We would love to go to the St George Worldmark again, but maybe pick a month not quite so hot as August.
Posted by: maggiemayday

Re: St. George Resort Review - 01/14/12 09:53 AM

We stayed in one of the penthouse suites over New Years, just so we'd have the private hot tub on the deck. Wow, that was a nice unit! Unfortunately, there were unusual cold temps well below freezing and I was sick as a dog for the week, so many of our planned activities went out the window. Nothing says romance like the flu, huh?

Snow Canyon is wonderful, plenty of hiking, from easy on up. Zion NP isn't far away, although Bryce Canyon is always my favorite. Valley of the Gods is incredible is you want to make the drive over, we didn't do it on the St. George trip, but if you ever get the chance, go!
Posted by: myartinstructor

Re: St. George Resort Review - 02/29/12 11:00 AM

The St. George resort is very well-kept and spacious and friendly. I went for a week-long plein air painting trip in late spring, it rained most every day, yet provided some spectacular sun-kissed red hills through dark threatening clouds ... couldn't have been better! And, yes, Snow Canyon was beautiful. St. George also puts you in a location to drive to many incredible views of southern Utah, including Zion National Park. Many days I just headed east and took in the sites.
Posted by: fmclint

Re: St. George Resort Review - 05/17/12 07:37 PM

We LOVE the St. George WorldMark. The views off to the south are spectacular as you look off into the desert and rocky hills. There are plenty of fun activities nearby such as Snow Canyon and Zion's National Park, and the resort itself is very relaxing and clean. The two large pools are nice, one has a rock feature with a waterfall pouring into the pool which the kids love. There are also two kid pools and two hot tubs, along with two little kids parks and a fun kid room next to the exercise room. We loved barbequing on our balcony each night looking over into the pool. Can't wait to go back!
Posted by: XXLKirk

Re: St. George Resort Review - 06/19/12 07:00 AM

Just got back from 5 days in St George.

Positives: Great resort overall, very clean, and I was impressed that even the smallest of details like raking the horseshoe pit was being done at least once a day.

Negatives:
1) If your unit faces the main pool with the waterfall, expect
lots of noise.
2) The "no kids in the pool after 9pm" rule doesn't seem to
apply. I walked by the pool at almost 10:30pm and it was
full of kids yelling and screaming.
3) As usual, after checking in, I was guided to the "resort
host" desk for my parking pass and got the spiel on
attending a "owner update" meeting. I explained that we had
just been to the one at the WM Vegas two days earlier. In
spite of this, the "host" kept pushing me to go to the one
there at St George. I finally had to get a little rude to
get my point across. Very disappointing.

We had our 14 month old with us and the highlights of our trip were:
- Kolob Canyon
- Zion with hikes at Riverside, Weeping Wall, & Emerald Pools.
- Silver Reef Museum & ghost town plus the two cemetaries.
- Snow Canyon
- Surprisingly, the World Wildlife Museum right off the freeway
at Bluff St.
Posted by: edav27

Re: St. George Resort Review - 07/01/12 03:02 PM

My husband and I just returned from 7 days at Worldmark St.George yesterday. We were in a 1 bedroom deluxe room and it was a corner unit far enough away from the pool as to not be subjected to any of the noise often associated with kids and water. It was 102-106 degrees outside so the air conditioning was a Godsend. We enjoyed hiking up at Zion National Park, Bryce Canyon National Park, the Kolob Canyons portion of Zion National Park and Kodachrome Basin State Park. We also took a day and travelled down the Scenic Byway 12--very beautiful but make sure you have plenty of water, time and gasoline. We also went horseback riding up at Snow Canyon for a sunset ride on our final night. The only negatives: (1) the concierge at the host desk talked our ear off when we first arrived (after being on the road for 6 hours and just wanting to unload the car and change clothes!) and overloaded us with all of his suggestions for our time there as well as pushing the owner update and (2) the heat and the wildfires that decided to erupt while we were there (no fault of Worldmark!). Word of warning: if you decide to go hiking near the resort itself do not use the trailmaps from online as the trails do not lead where they are supposed to and you end up behind a construction fence or barbed wire fence with the jackrabbits laughing at you! Stick to the parks for your hiking! And bring lots of lotion, the air is dry!
Posted by: Angstmaniac

Re: St. George Resort Review - 07/29/12 08:06 PM

My family is on our last night here. I noticed in the forum rules that "negative" posts may be removed "without prior notice", which might explain the lack of current and accurate posts about this resort. Since some of my comments are going to be negative, maybe it will be deleted by the forum hostess, but I hope not.

The Positive:

The units are nice sized and we always found parking right in front of our room (the resort appears to be full, so this is good), there is a Murphy bed in the living room which gave us some extra room when our teenagers decided they wanted separate sleeping arrangements. The pool is small, but clean despite heavy usage by small children. The ping-pong table is by far the nicest we have seen at any Worldmark or RCI resort. It is solid, and not broken (well, the net is patched together, but it works!) The weight room is nice, but I did cut my finger adjusting one piece of equipment. If you can handle tennis in the heat, there are free tennis courts at an adjacent resort (strange that the staff had to call and find this out - you'd think they would be trained about all the amenities available for guests).

The Negative:

I would describe our experience as "mediocre" compared to our visits at other Worldmark or RCI resorts. I suspect the management of this resort is new or lacks sufficient resources to improve the experience of guests. If I had to guess, it is lack of experience since there are areas that are not resource dependent where we were disappointed. This lack of leadership and standards can be described by way of a few examples:

When we arrived, there were "tokens" for sale in the lobby. Since we were early and our room wasn't ready, I looked around for the game room while my wife registered. Several doors were open or unmarked. One room that was open was the room where employees have their lockers. The room was disgracefully messy, not a sign of the high standards that a "Five Star II Rating" resort manager would enforce, even in areas that should be kept closed, and also not something that would take substantial resources to improve. Other office area rooms were also messy and disorganized, like sales signs blocking access to the "discount coupons" and other materials that assist in planning activities.

The grounds were not properly maintained. As you can see from this image [img]https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/tsRiiXJNKZOSVpQzf-bQD4taxLdw9qPkVGM--tngPVM?feat=directlink[/img] , there is over 12 inches or several months of overgrowth blocking the pathways. These branches kept poking us in the face, so my daughter started breaking them off hoping that somebody would take notice and trim them, no such luck. Other than the ones trimmed by her, the overgrowth is still there and is noticeable everywhere at the resort.

The unit came with one roll of toilet paper in each bathroom. Even though they brought us more when we called and asked, this is not the sort of thing you want to call and ask for, as when you find out you are out, it is an uncomfortable moment. A good manager would have a checklist and quality control to ensure a good guest experience.

The next negative is more of an indictment of a policy that has become antiquated. This "5 Star" resort and allegedly now all Worldmark Resorts charges for WIFI despite the fact that even places like YOUKNOWWHO Inn have free WiFi (not wanting to violate advertising rules here). You can see other places that offer free WiFi at wififreespot dot com. Why would the owners (me!!!) want to pay ourselves extra for something that has become more of a utility like internet access? Why not get great high speed service at every resort and just include it in our dues? The biggest irritation is that this new policy of charging for WiFi was only explained to owners at the "owner's orientation" meetings, which of course we skipped because they use them to sell more credits to us. Even more incredulous, we paid $50 for the internet access, only to find out that the internet service comes on a cable rather than a 99.99% up-time T-1. This wouldn't be a problem, but they did not tell us when they collected the $50 that they were expecting "intermittent" disruptions in our service due to maintenance. Intermittent turned out to be the entire Friday evening during the opening ceremony of the Olympics. Now we have plenty of things to do on vacation, and this would not even be a complaint, except I was required to pay for it, and the "disruption" was planned in advance. They charged me knowing it wasn't going to work... That is not nice. When it did work, it was not fast enough to watch movies online. A huge resort sharing a single cable modem? Charging every guest $XX... Can't you afford a redundant, high bandwidth system?

We still had fun on our vacation, especially the "Bottoms Up - Narrows" in Zions Park, and these annoyances are minor, but are not typical of our prior experiences at Worldmark or RCI resorts. I don't think we will return to St. George's Worldmark.

Hope this helps those looking for an accurate description of the resort in 2012.

Angstmaniac.
Posted by: seabreeze

Re: St. George Resort Review - 07/30/12 08:02 AM

My husband and I recently stayed at the Worldmark in St. George UT this July, 2012. We've been an owner for 12+ yrs, so I feel my opinion should have some merit. Check-in was great, very nice friendly service, gave us lots of information about the surrounding area & places to visit. Better than AAA! All said and done, I was dissapointed in the unit. We stayed in a corner unit, one bedroom on the 3rd floor. The amenities were as expected for this unit, but I was dissapointed in the overall cleaniness of the unit. The bedding was very poor quality, sheets were worn & thin, some had old stains on pillow cases. The bed itself was horrible! I travel a lot, staying in hotel chains, and never have I had a bed so hard, uncomfortable, as we did here at Worlkmark. This is where they need to make changes to the quality of their product. Houskeeping does not do a good job of cleaning, even though we pay for houskeeping services, this needs to be addressed. The BBQ on the patio hadn't been touch by houskeeping, tongs were dirty with dried food on them and on the ground below the BBQ, switch was broken on the BBQ. The coffee maker had the wrong design of coffee filters, so when making coffee the water wouldn't drain through. Such easy fixes, but appears no one does a quality check behind houskeeping. I think now that Worldmark is owned by Wyndham, I expected the quality to improve, but it appears no one is listening. One last thing, as members we should not have to pay for WiFi. Come on!!! We paid for 7-day of service, and the service was horrible. Couldn't get on, when we did it took forever, booted off numerous times. Save your money! Better off finding a Starbucks, or other location for WiFi. Again, expected better amenities as Worldmark owner. Don't feel comfortable recommending family or friends to join until I see overall improvement in quality of product. Sorry.
Posted by: isepa

Re: St. George Resort Review - 11/21/12 10:22 AM

We stayed here for 2 nights on our way to Zion and Bryce. We had the 2 bedroom penthouse which was nice, but in need of some updating if they want to call it a "penthouse" for much longer. We did love the private hot tub on our balcony and no units behind us, so we had views of the desert. Unfortunately, as with most WM properties, the WM St. George does not have outstanding views, such as of the red rocks in the area. It is also quite a distance from the center of town. We LOVED Snow Canyon and recommend it just as much as Zion and Bryce. We also recommend ATV and Jeep Adventures for their ATV tour. It was one of the many highlights of our trip. Unlike the previous poster, I love the firm quality of beds at WM, so to each his own.
Posted by: retiredATC

Re: St. George Resort Review - 01/19/16 12:43 PM

I've enjoyed staying at this resort many times. Special Alert! A new tax of nearly 12% has been added this year. Enjoy....
Posted by: shay

Re: St. George Resort Review - 10/29/18 06:09 AM

It appears that there has not been a recent review of this resort. We stay here about every two years or so, whenever my husband competes in the Huntsman World Senior Games.

The resort is very nice, inside and outside. I liked the way the living room was arranged for this two bedroom unit. Usually we have a one bedroom, but this was what was available from the wait list. The pools are large and inviting and the temperature of the spa is good.

I would recommend this resort to any and all. Another WorldMark resort has opened just next door and is being promoted; however, unless that resort is offering something special, take this one. The front desk staff were helpful and friendly. The concierge desk staff were great with recommendations about places to eat that had gluten free options.

There are so many things to do in this area and the views of the red hills are spectacular. If you are interested in the past, check out the museums. St. George also has some really great restaurants. We went to the Cliffside restaurant for our anniversary. The food was so very good and again, the view was gorgeous.

On a less positive note: I do have a negative remark about the concierge desk and the sales promotions. Please get your facts straight before you send me to something I don't need and which made me lose my options from a previous sale. I will be very happy if WorldMark owners are no longer targeted for the high pressure sales pitch. Just give me my parking pass and let me go.

WorldMark resorts visited: McCall, ID; Arrowpoint, ID; Seaside, OR; Oceanside, CA; Lake of the Ozarks, OK; Running Y, OR; Lake Chelan, WA; Eagle Crest, OR; Surfside Inn, WA: Las Vegas (all three), NV; Reno, NV; St. George, UT; San Francisco, CA: Rancho Vistoso, AZ; Pine Top, AZ; West Yellowstone, MT; Bear Lake, UT; Depoe Bay, OR; Wolf Creek, CA; Longbeach, WA; San Diego – Mission Valley, CA; New Orleans – Avenue Plaza, LA; Angels Camp, CA; Birch Bay, WA; Leavenworth, WA: Scottsdale, AZ; Midway, UT;
Posted by: beverlyp9

Re: St. George Resort Review - 08/08/19 09:17 AM

We stayed at the St George WorldMark on a party weekend earlier this month, otherwise we may never have experienced this wonderful resort. We stayed in a roomy one bedroom in the D building, which was central to both pools. There is some covered parking and due to the extreme temperatures, there should be more available. Thankfully, the AC in the unit worked very well. We were extremely pleased with the outstanding and updated condition of the unit as well as the exterior and grounds. Everything worked perfectly. Of course the two-hour sales presentation is part of the party weekend, and although it went far beyond two hours, we did learn a new thing or two. The planned activities included a wonderful dinner at the Rib and Chop House (excellent steak) and the play "Sound of Music" in the outdoor Tuacahn Amphitheatre. Maybe we'll return some day, though when it is not 112 degrees!!

WorldMark Resorts We’ve Stayed: WorldMark Anaheim (CA); WorldMark Bend - Seventh Mountain Resort (OR); WorldMark Birch Bay (WA); WorldMark Depoe Bay (OR); WorldMark Gleneden (OR); WorldMark Kihei (HI); WorldMark Lake Tahoe (NV); WorldMark Las Vegas Blvd (NV); WorldMark Leavenworth (WA); WorldMark Long Beach (WA); WorldMark New Orleans – Avenue Plaza (LA); WorldMark San Diego - Mission Valley (CA); WorldMark San Francisco (CA); WorldMark Schooner Landing (OR); WorldMark Seaside (OR); WorldMark Seattle – The Camlin (WA); WorldMark Spencer Street (NV); WorldMark St George (UT); WorldMark Tropicana (NV); WorldMark Victoria (BC); Wyndham Grand Desert (NV); Wyndham’s Kingsgate (VA); Wyndham Kona Hawaiian Resort (HI)
Posted by: jnkjames

Re: St. George Resort Review - 10/28/20 09:48 AM

Stayed in St. George in Sept 2020. Great staff and everyone was following Covid-19 guidelines. Room was nice, clean, and quiet. They have the bracelets here instead of the traditional door keys and we loved them. Its about 1 - 1.5 hrs from Zion but the drive is easy and some beautiful scenery along the way. We also did Bryce Canyon and the north rim of the Grand Canyon during our stay. If you feel like staying closer to 'home' there are some nice parks in St George as well. I recommend Pioneer Park (about 15 min away) that has walking trails, red rocks to climb on and a mini slot canyon. Right next to that there is the Red Hills Desert Garden that has a nice walking path with thousands of varieties of plants & flowers and even some dinosaur tracks. Both of these parks are free and are a good way to spend a few hours when you just don't have the energy for anything strenuous.
If you are going to Zion (and its still under Covid-19 restrictions) you have to buy your Zion shuttle passes online the day before. They open them up for sale the day before at 9am and you can only buy 1 day at a time. They rent out quick so I would recommend getting online at 9am. Its $1 per person and you pick a time that works for you. If you get online later in the morning the earlier shuttle times will be sold out. Once you get those you can either get the app on your phone or just take a picture of your ticket with the barcode and they scan it at the shuttle stop. Also - once you get to Springdale drive all the way to the first shuttle stop (they are numbered and well marked). It will only save you a few bucks to park farther away and you will have to take one of the free Springdale shuttles to get you to the park entrance where you board the Zion shuttle. It cost $25 to park for the day in shuttle stop 1 but you avoid having to take 2 shuttles (one in Springdale to get to the first shuttle stop - then the actual Zion shuttle that takes you into the park). The shuttles in Springdale are free - the shuttle in Zion is the one you have to purchase $1 advance tickets for. Once at shuttle stop 1 there is a walk-in entrance to the park (ask for directions at the information desk). From there you will board the Zion shuttle. I was confused when we went because I didn't realize they were talking about 2 different shuttles. Once you ride it the first time you will see that it is very well organized and efficient. Enjoy!
The resort is very close to grocery stores and pretty much anything else you may need.
We will definitely be back!