Activities & Things To Do in the Area - Wolf Creek

Posted by: Forum Host

Activities & Things To Do in the Area - Wolf Creek - 03/09/04 07:38 PM

What's there to do at Wolf Creek? We want to hear about what you did and saw while staying at this resort.
Posted by: DandJHansen

Re: Activities & Things To Do in the Area - Wolf Creek - 06/23/11 04:28 PM

Just wanted to let everyone know that right now is a great time to go for a hike. The mountain flowers are in bloom and the hills are alive. Due to an extra wet spring the mountains are great place to hike and see everything.

One word of caution, 12th street in Ogden is under construction. That is the road that you take from the freeway to go up the canyon to get to Wolf Creek resort. The delays are not bad and the construction will last most of the summer.

check out some pics here: http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.1612610054079.69328.1801127261
Posted by: PDX_Kathy

Re: Activities & Things To Do in the Area - Wolf Creek - 06/23/11 08:27 PM

Where did you hike? We'll be there for a couple nights next month....maybe not long enough to do much but I would love to get out and do a little hiking/walking.

We were there about 5 years ago in the fall but again just for a couple nights.

Thx

Re: Activities & Things To Do in the Area - Wolf Creek - 07/03/11 07:35 PM

This was a simple hike at the mouth of Ogden Canyon. Before you drive up Ogden Canyon, on the south side of the road is a shop called Rainbow Gardens. A great little shop for Utah souvenirs and such. In the South East corner of their lot is a trail head for 2 hikes, Rainbow trail and Songbird trail. Both are good short hikes. We took Rainbow trail. Also see http://www.weberpathways.com for other local hikes. Some of my favs are Indian Trail and Lewis Peak trail.

Indian Trail could be good even in the July heat. Start at the trail head in the canyon and go up to the summit with the log cabin remains. From WC it would be about a 10 mile drive and about a 5 mile round trip hike from the trail head. Take water and lite snacks. If you want to go farther, just keep going past that point, but remember that to return to your car is back the same way you came. My favorite point on this trail is about 3.5 miles in, a rock out crop that gives you a great view of Ogden and the Great Salt Lake. If you go normal pace you could do the round trip in 3 hours.

If you want more information PM me and I will try my best to help you.
Posted by: mawman

Re: Golfing- Wolf Creek - 07/10/11 07:35 AM

Just checked this morning with the front desk. Golf here at Wolf Creek Resort is $45 with a cart.

Re: Activities & Things To Do in the Area - Wolf Creek - 10/02/12 09:07 AM

Winter activities at Wolf Creek

I am going to start with some basics. Utah is mostly a desert area except the Mountains and Mountain Valleys. Wolf Creek is located in one of these mountain valleys. The temperature at WC in December will be about 20-35 F. The days in December are about 9 hours long from 7:30 am to 5:00 PM but you will some light until 5:30 PM.

During the Winter, there are still a lot of activities that can be done in the Ogden area and many are outside.

Skiing
I am not going to go into details about the skiing since for most people coming to WC in winter, skiing is your planned activity. I want to show some other thing which you might consider outside of skiing. Having said that I will list the 3 ski areas close to WC with their website. Powder Mountain is just up the road from the resort and provides a shuttle. Snowbasin is also nearby with a nice base lodge and bigger vertical slopes and faster lifts(largest of the 3 resorts). Wolf Mountain is just across the valley and it has night skiing and a pretty good terrain park.

www.snowbasin.com/ www.powdermountain.com/ http://www.wolfmountainutah.com/

Museums
A-Hill Aerospace Museum- (free) They have a lot of US Air Force aircraft and war memorabilia, a lot indoors 3-5 hour visit
B-Union Station Railroad Museum- (free) Trains, cars, Browning guns, and other collections. some indoors 2-4 hours
C-Ogden Treehouse Museum- might be more fun for younger kids but can be a fun place to play all indoors 1-3 hours
could combine A&B&C into one day at museums

Hikes
I am going to give you my favorite web site for area hikes http://www.weberpathways.org/. One of the more enjoyable things to do in the winter is a snowshoe hike or cross country ski. You can rent both skies and snowshoes from Weber State University for a modest fee http://www.weber.edu/outdoor/Winter_Rentals.html. One of my favorites is to drive up the "old snow basin road" until it stops at a damaged spot and then put on the snow shoes and continue up the road. Since you are on a road, there is no chance of getting lost and you can see mountain snow untouched by other people. If you are here for a full moon do this hike after dark. Amazing night sights. Other great spots.
A- North Fork Park
B- Monte Cristo Area
C-Wheeler Creek Trail

Scenic Drives
Ogden Canyon- This is the most common way to get to Wolf Creek from Ogden. State Road 39 is a 2 lane highway along the river path with steep canyon sides. You will most likely travel this one a number of times during your stay.
North Ogden Divide- This is a road that is closer to the Wolf Creek resort but less used. Can be scenic and is the access to some of the hiking trails.
Monte Cristo- Great drive with good views, it is closed during the winter but they plow up to a parking area for the snowmobilers, so you can drive that far and then turn around and come back(deep Snow off the road).

Snowmobiling
You can rent sleds from http://www.bigboyspolaris.com or http://www.ssspolaris.com and others. The best place to take them would be up Monte Cristo.

Other things to See and Do
A little further out are attractions in Salt Lake City, Park City, and more. GO to http://www.travel.utah.gov/publications/onesheets/MustSee_web.pdf to see the most popular attractions in Utah. 7 are with in an hour and a half of Wolf Creek.

One of the most popular things to see in Utah during December are the Christmas lights on Temple Square. Every year the LDS church puts up millions of lights on the Salt Lake City Temple grounds and it is free to walk around. They also set up luminaries in another part of the park. A great place to see home displays of Christmas lights is above Weber State University. Some of the homeowners go overboard every year. One other large Christmas light display is done at Willard Bay State Park. It is a drive thru with a charge per vehicle.

It is a lot of information, hope you have fun. If you need any more information about these activities or any others, let me know.
Posted by: amiellen

Re: Activities & Things To Do in the Area - Wolf Creek - 01/03/14 07:43 PM

We just spent Xmas week here and we came primarily to ski - I reviewed that on the ski/snow link. Other area stuff we did (with kids 17, 19, 21):

~several drives down the canyon to Ogden (20 min. drive down): movie at Megaplex in Ogden (ate at Iggy's across the street - pretty good), Salomon Center for the iFly (indoor sky dive simulation) - they also have bowling, pool hall, wave machine, rock wall, arcade & game center here (little something for everyone! next to the Megaplex). My daughter did the iFly and had a blast, the boys just wanted to play pool.
~Salvo's shooting range in Layton - we heard outdoor shooting in Eden but it was too cold to look into it. We spent about an hour - hubby and the kids, not my thing.
~found the "best pie in Utah" at The Pie (pizza) in SLC just across from the U of U. Clearly a college hang out but mostly families during the holiday week, it was packed and apparently quite popular - fun vibe and the pie was good! Pre-hockey game dinner.
~Utah Grizzlies hockey game in West Valley, outside of SLC - we got cheap seats and it was a fun game
~a little shopping at the Chic Boutique just past the Maverick gas and across from the Valley Market at the four way stop down the road from WC. My daughter and I found some cute items here.
~sat in the hot tub watching kids sled down the little hillside.
~tromped around the property in the snow and chucked rocks on the frozen ponds on the golf course across the street - kept our eyes out for the pack of roving deer that live around the property (we saw them several times). I wondered, but never got around to asking about the free standing large stone fireplace that is across the street from WC by the side of the road... there was a pile of fresh wood in it. Curious.